• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Religions More Equal than Different?

Super Universe

Defender of God
I believe that all the world religions come from the same source, a representative of God.

So they cannot be against one another nor can they conflict except where changes have been made to the original interpretation.

Aren't they more alike than different? And aren't the only real differences in language and rituals?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Super Universe said:
Aren't they more alike than different? And aren't the only real differences in language and rituals?
Many religions have similar doctrines, but no two have identical doctrines. No, there are plenty of differences other than those you mention.

gnostic

The Lost One
Super Universe said:
I believe that all the world religions come from the same source, a representative of God.
Even Satanism?

What about Paganism, Druidism or Wicca?

Do Hinduism, Shinto, Buddhism and Taoism fit in this bill?

Or are you only talking of monotheistic Abrahamic religion?

Genna

gnostic said:
Even Satanism?

What about Paganism, Druidism or Wicca?

Do Hinduism, Shinto, Buddhism and Taoism fit in this bill?

Or are you only talking of monotheistic Abrahamic religion?

My point EXACTLY! What does paganism have to do with Christianity? there as different as day an night!

gnostic

The Lost One
Hi Genna

I would guess that UU are very liberal in accepting almost any religious teaching, as long as you aim for the Truth...whatever that truth may be.

Perhaps they are willing to accept many truths, even those that conflict with one another. I don't know if they have any sort of restriction.

I believe that this movement started in the 60's, and was based rather loosely on Protestantism, but at the same time moved away from it. They can accept some teaching from the Bible, but they don't accept the bible, or any religious texts for that matter, as infalliable. It is without the creeds or dogmas that you would find in Christianity. They sort of adopt all sort of religion and their, even Buddhism and Paganism, to a certain degree.

Notice my emphasis to "certain degree".

UU is sort of like Booko's religion - Baha'i. Baha'i has no restriction, and can wholeheartedly accept teachings from Islam, Christianity and Judasim, all together.

To me, it just another fancy name for humanism, pantheism or even agnosticism, mixed in together.

Anyhow, Maize will correct me if I am wrong about UU. :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Super Universe said:

So they cannot be against one another nor can they conflict except where changes have been made to the original interpretation.

You might have a stronger case if you said all religions look at the same things, but from different sides of it. Therefore religions do have different views, but they are different views of the same thing.

I'm not saying that's my own opinion, but if you wanted to make a stronger case for a basic unity of religions, I think that would be a stronger case.

arthra

Baha'i
Super Universe said:

Thanks for the post!

Well being a Baha'i, I can relate to the part that the great world religions have a common Source and that they came through Maniferstations of God at varying times for the progress and betterment of humanity and they are not in really intrinsically opposed to one another.. We would say I think that there is only one religion of God but it has appeared at various times and under different cultural garbs; that spiritually they are one in essence but they have different ordinances.

"UU is sort of like Booko's religion - Baha'i. Baha'i has no restriction, and can wholeheartedly accept teachings from Islam, Christianity and Judasim, all together."

Yes...I know about Booko's religion being Baha'i myself. I would call it kind of a progression like in a series. We accept as inspired the previous scriptures and believe though there are certain principles that are necessary for today such as equality of men and women, world government, reducing the extremes of wealth and poverty, universal education...abolishing racial and religious prejudice.

- Art

:yes:

Super Universe

Defender of God
If I throw ten darts at a board and eight stick, why does everyone run to see about the two that didn't?

Satanism a religion? How so? Just because a few people claim it? Many times more people claim to belong to the church of the NFL than Satanism yet for some reason you left it out. Let the Satanist's worry about themselves.

Don't look for differences and multiply them to an incredible degree. Especially when it only serves to cause confusion. Why make it tougher than it needs to be? If that is your nature, then it will be so until you decide to change it.

How is Wiccan opposed to Christianity? How is do their teachings conflict? Do you think Christ is against the environment? Against the earth?

How does Buddhism conflict with Christianity?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Super Universe said:
If I throw ten darts at a board and eight stick, why does everyone run to see about the two that didn't?

I wonder about these things myself sometimes. What passes for "Comparitive Religion" so often is really "contrastive religion."

How is Wiccan opposed to Christianity? How is do their teachings conflict? Do you think Christ is against the environment? Against the earth?

How does Buddhism conflict with Christianity?

The old pagan religions had their divine source as well. The fact that we can no longer trace that source doesn't mean it wasn't there.

The idea that God would leave entire chunks of humanity in spiritual darkness just doesn't compute.

gnostic

The Lost One
Super Universe said:
Satanism a religion? How so? Just because a few people claim it? Many times more people claim to belong to the church of the NFL than Satanism yet for some reason you left it out. Let the Satanist's worry about themselves.

Don't look for differences and multiply them to an incredible degree. Especially when it only serves to cause confusion. Why make it tougher than it needs to be? If that is your nature, then it will be so until you decide to change it.

*sigh*

You are the one who brought up the topic about all religion coming from one source, Super Universe. I just want more explanation of what you had started in this new topic.

I was asking your insight in this. I did not do so to offend you. I just see each religion with their own traits and personalities, and I wondering how you see them together as having the same source.

My view is that monotheism think in term of vertical fashion, while polytheism is expressed in horizontal fashion. So I don't know how either of these two can meet in the middle.

You said that all religion comes from the same source, so I am asking you, do Satanism belonged to this "same" source?

And do polytheistic religions have the same source as that of monotheistic religions? And how they are related?

They were valid questions, SU. I really don't why you are getting so defensive over this.

Booko

Deviled Hen
gnostic said:
My view is that monotheism think in term of vertical fashion, while polytheism is expressed in horizontal fashion. So I don't know how either of these two can meet in the middle.

If Hinduism is so polytheistic, why does the Bhagavad-Gita talk about the "Uncreated, Unformed..." that I posted in the other thread?

Polytheism may be no more than a human's way of approaching the Absolute -- by means of anthropomorphized beings that represent the attributes of God. Whether the original teachings of Krishna were so polythesitic is at least somewhat debatable, considering the existence of what is called the Absolute, which is above all other gods, even the Hindu "trinity."

Maybe the gods in Hinduism are no more than archangels in Christianity.

And do polytheistic religions have the same source as that of monotheistic religions? And how they are related?

See above.

GoldenDragon

Are you asking if every religion that exists comes from the same source or are you trying to ask if religions have more in common with each other than differences?
Or origins maybe?

gnostic

The Lost One
Booko said:
Maybe the gods in Hinduism are no more than archangels in Christianity.

Have you read any of the Hindu texts, Booko?

Do you think these Hindu deities, whom you have linked with Christian archangels, to have sex with their mothers, daughters or sisters?

You of all people should know the attitude of Christians in regarding to sex, particularly in regarding to adultery and incest. Sex is not really a problem to Hinduism, but Christians do have a problem with angels and sex together.