• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Allegory of the Cave

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I always wondered, having been fooled once by shadows, how certain can we be that what we now see is not only a new set of shadows. That at some point we would find our "enlightened selfs" being led out of yet another cave.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I always wondered, having been fooled once by shadows, how certain can we be that what we now see is not only a new set of shadows. That at some point we would find our "enlightened selfs" being led out of yet another cave.

This is exactly how it is. And is my basis for living by the quote "live and let live". We all have our caves and blinders on, it's up to us to find our way out of them. We can't guide others out of their caves either, while still trapped in our own.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In the Eastern model, there are 7 veils. And in the West we have the "7 veils of Salome's dance". So in the cave metaphor, there could be considered to be 7.

But the basic idea of Plato's cave is that the inhabitants don't believe there is anything outside the cave so stay stuck outside the very few.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
This is exactly how it is. And is my basis for living by the quote "live and let live". We all have our caves and blinders on, it's up to us to find our way out of them. We can't guide others out of their caves either, while still trapped in our own.
the distortion is in choosing a role, or being and believing that is the only way to be? isn't that the cave vs i am that i am? or i am brahman?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
In the Eastern model, there are 7 veils. And in the West we have the "7 veils of Salome's dance". So in the cave metaphor, there could be considered to be 7.

But the basic idea of Plato's cave is that the inhabitants don't believe there is anything outside the cave so stay stuck outside the very few.

Why would you/they? You can't blame someone for a lack of willingness to believe what is beyond their experience.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Why would you/they? You can't blame someone for a lack of willingness to believe what is beyond their experience.
to be is not beyond experience, to be unaware of your own self and to live in fantasy vs reality, is a choice of amusement at the expense of other as self when one could choose service to all as self.

many are called, few are chosen. at the wedding banquet kings and royalty will be serving the chosen revelation 19:17

nataraja will dance. the choice is either the tandava or the lasya.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

time to feed the little ones

revelation 19:21

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

There is no blame. I especially can't blame anyone because I used to believe just that.

I believe all sorts of things that are beyond my experience such as quasars, quarks and much much more. I do this because I trust that those who have observed them are honest reporters and that I could if I were so inclined learn enough to see for myself.

Something similar applies here. There came a day in my life when I stopped believing in my automatic assumption that there was nothing more and started feeling that there was something more.

But before I could accept that, I had to use all my internal resources including my intellect to find something that would answer my questions and be coherent and reasonable.