• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Almost a Quarter of Men in Parts of Asia Admit to Rape

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
And men are far more likely to get jumped and have the snot beaten out of them than women are; all need look over their shoulder though the particular crimes they might face vary in prevalence - each faces the possibility of violent crime (and yes rape) at the hands of the any gender. Those who cannot for some reason perceive that it is possible for a male to be raped have their heads buried in the sand. Those who cannot for some reason perceive that it is possible for a woman to be a rapist have their heads buried in the sand.

The steady refusal to comprehend the act separate from gender - EQUALITY - facilitates an absurd mindset. Women are not victims. Victims are victims. Men are not Perpetrators. Perpetrators are Perpetrators. We should do our uptmost to reduce the incidence of such events and to support victims in their time of need, we should also look to circumvent factors that lead to perpetration and to punish incidence appropriately - not one component of that is gender specific.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Uh? No! I meant Scarlett.

I don't know..but the whole scene sort of "O.K'd" marital rape..and even went so far as to "romantisize" it..

I guess I had a hard time jumping from that to Scarlette is a stockholm syndrome.Im not trying to be mean but she seems a little to arrogant and mean for that.Maybe its how they portrayed her.But she was definateley raped and seemed to be "happy " about it"...

Know what I mean?

maninthewilderness

optimistic skeptic
Ten thousand men from six countries took part in the survey.
Considering that Asia has about 4 BILLION people in it, and probably at least 2 billion of them are men, and that there are 48 countries in Asia, I would say that this sample of 10 thousand men is scientifically insignificant.

In other words:

Junk science to support an anti-male agenda.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Considering that Asia has about 4 BILLION people in it, and probably at least 2 billion of them are men, and that there are 48 countries in Asia, I would say that this sample of 10 thousand men is scientifically insignificant.

So, it's your trenchant understanding that "Parts of Asia" is actually English for "All of Asia".

Curious George

Veteran Member

In other words:

Junk science to support an anti-male agenda.

I am not sure that you understand statistics.

maninthewilderness

optimistic skeptic
I am not sure that you understand statistics.
Are you familiar with the phrase: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

It's true.

A wise man always questions the methodology used to produce stats.

Here's a funny little remark one of my college professors once told me:

"Always be wary of stats.
A statistician would have you believe that if one of your legs was ablaze, and the other leg was encased in ice, on average, you should be rather comfortable!"

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
The sample size itself is sufficient, the question it however whether there were factors that might have resulted in that sample being not representative of the population as a whole, it would need to be a rather significant methodological error.

And it is not for asia, it is for the six asian countries surveyed.

edit: or as George mentioned that the questions were so constructed that they skewed results (frubals my good man, I cant believe I forgot that)

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
Are you familiar with the phrase: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

It's true.

A wise man always questions the methodology used to produce stats.

Here's a funny little remark one of my college professors once told me:

"Always be wary of stats.
A statistician would have you believe that if one of your legs was ablaze, and the other leg was encased in ice, on average, you should be rather comfortable!"

I one hundred percent agree that you should question the methodology of statistics, however the sample size was plenty ample. If you want to question the methodology in this case you would question the phrasing of the questions, and the selection of the participants. Not the sample size.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't know..but the whole scene sort of "O.K'd" marital rape..and even went so far as to "romantisize" it..

I guess I had a hard time jumping from that to Scarlette is a stockholm syndrome.Im not trying to be mean but she seems a little to arrogant and mean for that.Maybe its how they portrayed her.But she was definateley raped and seemed to be "happy " about it"...

Know what I mean?

Apparently not.

maninthewilderness

optimistic skeptic
I one hundred percent agree that you should question the methodology of statistics, however the sample size was plenty ample. If you want to question the methodology in this case you would question the phrasing of the questions, and the selection of the participants. Not the sample size.
I disagree.
For such a region of the world that sample size was pathetic.

That wouldn't even be a good sample size for the U.S. alone.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

This!

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I disagree.

if you can randomly pick 10,000 individuals from one area, and they all say yes to a certain question, you can be pretty sure that the next 10,000 will answer similarly.

Those figures are quite shocking really. You would hope that it was only a tiny fraction of them who would answer yes to such a question, but for 1/3 of them to answer yes is frightening.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I disagree.

That wouldn't even be a good sample size for the U.S. alone.

It is plenty enough. A far more decisive matter is how well-chosen (which mainly means how randomly chosen) the sample is.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Aren't women in Asian countries stereotypically more reserved and meek than their western counterparts? Less likely to show skin, speak out of turn all that stuff that "good women" practice.

So the issue here seems to be a culture of men who feel entitled less so then liberation.

Also in the U.S. at least, aren't women more likely to be raped by people who know them?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

It's true.

The truth is more subtle than that. If statistics are adequately gathered, compiled, and analyzed, they no more lie than 2+2=4 lies.

Among the many problems with statistics is that most people are untrained in how to analyze and interpret them. It's like some people are poor drivers. They will usually tell you they are fair to good drivers. But, nevertheless, they happen to be accident prone.

Wherenextcolumbus

Know what I mean?

I watched a documentry once called surrendered wives or something like that, and it featured a creepy relationship where is husband admitted to raping his wife but never called it rape. He said even when his wife doesn't want to have sex he will keep trying until she gives in, and he turns to her and says "you like it when I pursue you don't you?" And she says yes. Aarrrgghhhh