• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a UU?

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
Can I be a UU if I don't respect all belief systems (secular beliefs, left-hand paths, fundamentalism and suicidal or homicidal cults) but still respect those people in those belief systems as my brothers and sisters? Can I consider myself UU if I don't official join a congregation? Can I still attend/be a member of Hindu, LDS, Jain, and Baha'i services?

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
The key aspect of being UU is the ability to affirm and promote:
  • The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
You don't have to (specifically) respect "all belief systems" but you do need to respect people as people even if they hold to other belief systems. Do keep in mind that people who hold to some of the other belief systems you mentioned may not themselves be able to affirm and promote the principles listed above, and so they wouldn't be UU, as such.

Being UU is encapsulated in the principles above. Membership in a congregation is not a necessary requirement, nor is abandonment of memberships in other religious entities necessarily required.

applewuud

.....Can I still attend/be a member of Hindu, LDS, Jain, and Baha'i services?

The quick answer to your question from a UU perspective is yes. Be aware, however, it may not be cool with THEM. There's a specific teaching in Baha'i writings that discourages declared believers from regular attendance at services of other religions, although it allows occasional visits. I think that LDS doctrine is similar, or perhaps stronger. Having said that, there are LDS- and Baha'i-leaning UUs.

In a more theological sense, despite goodwill and political similarities, it's fair to say that there's a difference between mainstream Unitarian-Universalist thinking and most other religions on the issue of revelation. Very few UUs believe in the doctrine of progressive revelation, that a divine being selects special prophets every thousand years or so (Jesus, Mohammed, Baha'u'llah, or Joseph Smith) and speaks infallibly to those prophets and not to anyone else. UUs are more likely to believe, in the words of the Congregationalists, that "God is still speaking", and that the ground of all being is expressed through history in many ways and through many different people, not only through a few special ones, as valuable as the "words and deeds of prophetic women and men" may be. In short, UU theology is more humanist than most, although it is not ONLY humanist (in most churches; there are some avowedly Humanist UU congregations).

As for homicidal or suicidal cults--most notably the war-cult of Empire that has enslaved much of human culture for the last 3,000 years--they're against UU principles and we're obliged to work against them, while respecting the ultimate value of the human beings who may be promoting such ideas:run:.

EverChanging

I agree with the above.

I'm not sure what the "rule" is about whether a person is considered officially UU if they aren't a member of a congregation, but UUs aren't too big on rules anyway. There really is no statement on that by the UUA that I know of. One of the principles, is, however, to promote and affirm "acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our conregations." That principle requires some involvement in a UU congregation, although it can be affirmed without officially becoming a member.

I am a member of the Church of the Larger Fellowship -- a virtual, online congregation -- but I still visit a physical congregation when I can, so I'm able to affirm the third principle in both my own virtual congregation and in a physical congregation.

You have quite the eclectic spiritual path -- not a problem for UUs at all. I'm eclectic myself, though my worldview and ethics are very humanistic. (Again, not a problem -- UU'ism is creedless and the principles themselves are Humanistic, in my opinion.) I don't know what Bahais say about multiple affiliations, or the Jainists (not sure if I'm getting that word correct.) The LDS are likely to frown on it. I don't think it's a problem in Hinduism, not in general, at least.

I'm very interested in hearing about your spirituality if you care to post a thread on it. Religious syncretism is very interesting to me.

Moonshadow

Astorian
Hi
I just came across this discussion on Google search and was wondering...

I consider myself to be a very Eclectic UU...I believe all religions have truth, wisdom and knowledge and I enjoy exploring the different cultures and traditions and especially the celebrations found in all of them.

I have my own random ritual days where I may spend the day reading devotionals from Wicca, Christianity, Taoism, Humanism or whatever subject I can get my hands on really, I meditate, practice Yoga, spirit dance, do trance and Visualizations, I practice candle Magic, do cleansings etc, I do this as a way to connect better to myself mainly...

However, I have been informed on more than one occasion that one cannot be spiritual as I am and be an Atheist so I have been looking for the term that correctly describes me - I have explored Pantheism but I dont believe that The Universe is God, Yes I believe it is sacred to a degree and should be treated better but the term doesnt quite fit for me....Wicca is a beautiful and wonderful religion and I agree with the tenants it espouses but I just dont believe in a God and Goddess...I want to but find that want and actual belief are two very different animals...No matter what I do I find myself exploring different spiritualities and ceremonies and loving every moment of them, I love my ritual days, I love attending my church but...I remain an Atheist :/

Does the term Spiritual Atheist make sense or is there a better term out there that I am missing?
People-Friends and family ask me what it is that I believe and I tell them I am an Atheist-I dont believe in God, Gods, etc, I am not superstitious and I dont believe in supernaturalism and Yet I would say I am DEEPLY spiritual...They think I am crazy, I am starting to wonder myself to be honest!

applewuud

Moonshadow, I think the term religious humanist is the best term for you. As opposed to a secular humanist or atheist, you believe that religious traditions and practices have value, but that value is not bestowed by a supernatural source or being. Religion is something that comes out of humanity, out of human experience, and from a cognitive standpoint that is the highest value that you hold. Hence, beliefs about those religions are not absolute truth; but pointers to a relative truth that you are constantly trying to advance.

Does that makes sense?

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
There was a time that secular humanists were the vast majority of UUs, but from what I understand that is no longer the case, and religious humanists, as such, may far outnumber secular humanists in some UU congregations.

EverChanging

Hi
I just came across this discussion on Google search and was wondering...

I consider myself to be a very Eclectic UU...I believe all religions have truth, wisdom and knowledge and I enjoy exploring the different cultures and traditions and especially the celebrations found in all of them.

I have my own random ritual days where I may spend the day reading devotionals from Wicca, Christianity, Taoism, Humanism or whatever subject I can get my hands on really, I meditate, practice Yoga, spirit dance, do trance and Visualizations, I practice candle Magic, do cleansings etc, I do this as a way to connect better to myself mainly...

However, I have been informed on more than one occasion that one cannot be spiritual as I am and be an Atheist so I have been looking for the term that correctly describes me - I have explored Pantheism but I dont believe that The Universe is God, Yes I believe it is sacred to a degree and should be treated better but the term doesnt quite fit for me....Wicca is a beautiful and wonderful religion and I agree with the tenants it espouses but I just dont believe in a God and Goddess...I want to but find that want and actual belief are two very different animals...No matter what I do I find myself exploring different spiritualities and ceremonies and loving every moment of them, I love my ritual days, I love attending my church but...I remain an Atheist :/

Does the term Spiritual Atheist make sense or is there a better term out there that I am missing?
People-Friends and family ask me what it is that I believe and I tell them I am an Atheist-I dont believe in God, Gods, etc, I am not superstitious and I dont believe in supernaturalism and Yet I would say I am DEEPLY spiritual...They think I am crazy, I am starting to wonder myself to be honest!
Wow. This is similar to what I have experienced -- I just posted about it under Freedom and Ritual. However, unlike you, I have yet to develop regular ritual practices, and I really feel like I need that for my path, something to center myself in, and that is what I am still seeking.

It's so interesting that you mentioned your atheism. I am an atheist, too. I can deal with the word "God" (or god/goddess/deity) in a ritual or liturgy -- for instance, I sometimes do neo-pagan rituals and celebrate neo-pagan holy days with my friends, but it is only a metaphor to me: I remain an atheist, really.

And yet I don't think most Humanists would understand my need to find some ritual, some type of mythology, something, to help center my spiritual path. I don't think it would take away from my Humanism at all -- I still don't believe in anything supernatural or any supernatural god concepts.

Sometimes I borrow prayers from different paths and try them out. One that I have been using -- and I don't think I would ever tell this to another atheist -- is the Rosary. I omit the creed and replace it with another prayer, and I have to stretch the prayers a lot metaphorically, which some might think of as dishonest, but I really have been finding that it works somehow. I contemplate each mystery, which are often similar to Greek mythology and other religions I've read about, and when I look at it metaphorically, the way I look at Greek mythology when I read that, I connect to it somehow.

When I pray the Rosary or celebrate a pagan holy day or do a neo-pagan ritual, my rational side sometimes bothers me, yet I know that I am a human being, not an ultra-rational robot. I have emotions and needs that transcend pure logic. I love poetry, literature, music, and yes, religious ritual, mythology, language, and prayers, too, even some of the theistic ones.

Yet I have not found a particular mythology or set or rituals to ground my spiritual path, so my religious label for now is UU - Humanist/Atheist. That describes my worldview and ethics, but I am still seeking some sort of path centered in some type of practice or mythology, and that continues to elude me.

One thing about me that I know sets me apart from most other Humanists and atheists I have known is that I have had at least one experience that qualifies, under many definitions, as mystical or spiritual. I know Storm has mentioned a theophany. I do not know the content of her experience, but she has mentioned neurotheology, which I have also read about to try to understand my own experience. Perhaps this is part of why I feel myself drawn in a much more spiritual direction than many other Humanists. I don't look to the supernatural to explain my experience, but it is an experience nevertheless, something that will always be a part of me, something that goes beyond the rational. I don't really feel like I have the means right now to integrate it into my path other than reflecting on it, but I do seek that.

As for you, religious humanist or spiritual atheist both sound like good terms to me. Spirit is connected to the word "breath," if I remember correctly. We draw breath from the oxygen surrounding us, beyond us, we draw it inside of us, we exhale it, we are immersed in it, and yet as long as we live, we draw it inside of us. This is how I tend to think of the word "spiritual" rather than associating it with spirits or the supernatural -- connecting with something larger than ourselves. That something doesn't have to be a deity.

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Astorian
Well

I added a new element into my ritual days which I am quite proud of!

Now, I also make it a point to explore a new culture as well as my normal practices. For example, I explored Greek Myths, Listened to Greek Music all day and when the day was over I ordered in-YUP! Greek Food.

Though I still do my other things.

I have used a rosary but in meditation, I dont pray but I did buy a book of Pagan prayers a while back and found myself reading them out loud, I just replaced the word God/Goddess with Universe/Nature.

I am still exploring Pantheism and naturalistic Paganism and I am attending a retreat this holiday (Halloween) that is for spiritual exploration and I am hoping to have some clearer answers to my dilemna by then.

I am fine calling myself an Eclectic UU though if push comes to shove. I came out of reversed seasonal depression which 2% of us suffer from-Meaning when its sunny and hot for too many days in a row I get depressed and hopeless and when its cloudy and rainy out I feel great, connected and whole and I set up my new altar and have been doing spontaneous rituals as well as my random ones here and there.

My friend Diana who is also a UU and considers herself simply an Eclectic UU says that for me to try to force a label other than that is like me trying to tell you who my favorite singer/band is or my favorite movie, I could say-Oh thats easy, Sarah Mclachlan but the truth is that whatever answer I give is just who I am thinking about or listening to in that moment and LOVE, I love Enigma, Belinda Carlisle and Reba just as much and there is no way I can just pick one favorite and its the same for religion, I love Wicca, I am drawn to it, I love Naturalistic Paganism and Pantheism and I love New Thought and Taoism and Native American beliefs and er well anyways....she thinks I should just say I am an Eclectic UU and leave it at that and I think she is probably right but I keep searching for a secondary label for some insane reason!

.I read an article/sermon written by my favorite UU Samuel Trumbore. which speaks of being just that, an Eclectic UU with a salad bowl approach to religion/spiritualities. That fits me, I could just as easily feel right at home in a drumming circle as I could a Wiccan handfasting as I could an Atheist meet-up and a Catholic Mass of which I have all attended over the years since realizing I was a UU...

Ok, I am rambling but I dont post often ya know! I am going to change that, I think, I really like it here. :)

Blessed Be
Namaste!
God---er....No.

:sorry1:

EverChanging

That makes sense....I feel much the same way. I have felt at home in so many different religious settings and metaphors, and then sometimes I go the other way, where I don't feel at home anywhere because I already feel at home in so many different approaches. (Ironic, isn't it?)

Sometimes, I have to remind myself that I'm just me. And that's okay.