• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Movies About Wars of Aggression

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
A movie released last month, The Covenant, is set during the Afghanistan War and casts an American soldier as a heroic figure who returns to Afghanistan to save his Afghan interpreter:

Guy Ritchie's The Covenant is an intense action movie, full of gunfire and explosions that make you feel caught in the midst of danger. And like so many war films it relies on a slender plot about heroic choices. Jake Gyllenhaal plays John Kinley, a US army sergeant in Afghanistan in 2018, whose life is saved by his Afghan interpreter, Ahmed (Dar Salim). In the kind of single-handed exploit that only happens in movies, after Kinley returns home and learns that Ahmed and his family are being hunted by the Taliban for having helped the Americans, he returns to Afghanistan to try to save him. So far, just another commercial adventure.

This is not the first production of its kind where participants in the Afghanistan War have been glorified or cast in a heroic light without much, if any, mindfulness of the impact the war has had on thousands of people's lives and the significant loss of life American forces caused in the country:

There have been earlier, tone-deaf attempts as well. The United States of Al (2021-22) was a bland CBS network buddy comedy about an Afghan guide who lives in the US with the Marine he helped and the Marine's family. Tina Fey plays a journalist in Kabul in the 2016 comedy-infused drama Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, a movie so culturally insensitive that it cast the American Christopher Abbott as her Afghan interpreter. The Covenant, despite its melodramatic plot and one-dimensional characters, captures more reality than that.

An Afghan producer, who herself created a movie about the war, believes movies from Hollywood tend to have inauthentic and Western-centric depictions of the war:

She says of mainstream US films about her country, "Afghanistan, for famous directors with Hollywood budgets, is a story from behind the mountain, which is exotic, interesting, but it is not authentic." She adds: "It is a very Western perspective about what was going on in Afghanistan, where somebody is going to save the interpreter or something. There are lots of things Afghan people and their stories can share with the world, without going into this victim and saviour formula."

It has barely been more than two decades since the US invaded Afghanistan in what would become a hotspot of bloodshed and destruction, and despite all of that, the Taliban still took control of the country once the US left. The country is in even worse shape than it was when the US invaded.

Should Hollywood be creating movies about this war in a way that depicts participants in a positive light without highlighting the large-scale loss of life and destruction that occurred? Why should this be viewed any differently from a movie praising some soldier in any other war of aggression?

As far as I can see, the best that could be said about participation in such a war is that perhaps it was coerced or based on false pretenses that a soldier later realized weren't as advertised. But to explicitly praise or romanticize such participation? I believe that's extremely irresponsible and tasteless.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Should Hollywood be creating movies about this war in a way that depicts participants in a positive light without highlighting the large-scale loss of life and destruction that occurred? Why should this be viewed any differently from a movie praising some soldier in any other war of aggression?
My opinion in one word.

Propaganda.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
A movie released last month, The Covenant, is set during the Afghanistan War and casts an American soldier as a heroic figure who returns to Afghanistan to save his Afghan interpreter:

This is not the first production of its kind where participants in the Afghanistan War have been glorified or cast in a heroic light without much, if any, mindfulness of the impact the war has had on thousands of people's lives and the significant loss of life American forces caused in the country:

An Afghan producer, who herself created a movie about the war, believes movies from Hollywood tend to have inauthentic and Western-centric depictions of the war:

It has barely been more than two decades since the US invaded Afghanistan in what would become a hotspot of bloodshed and destruction, and despite all of that, the Taliban still took control of the country once the US left. The country is in even worse shape than it was when the US invaded.

As far as I can see, the best that could be said about participation in such a war is that perhaps it was coerced or based on false pretenses that a soldier later realized weren't as advertised. But to explicitly praise or romanticize such participation? I believe that's extremely irresponsible and tasteless.

I haven't seen this one. War movies can be kind of hit or miss. One of the very first war movies I saw was To Hell and Back, starring Audie Murphy, playing himself as the most decorated US soldier in WW2. It didn't really go much into the politics of the war or even the reason they were fighting. The movie was, of course, directed at American audiences and told from an American point of view.

"Should Hollywood be creating movies about this war in a way that depicts participants in a positive light without highlighting the large-scale loss of life and destruction that occurred? Why should this be viewed any differently from a movie praising some soldier in any other war of aggression?"

I guess it would depend on how the subject matter is presented. Obviously, a war film is going to show loss of life and destruction, but if it highlights the reasons or the politics behind it - showing the US as the "good guys" and the enemy as "villains," then it can be problematic. There are even films depicting the American Revolution which have caused a few bees in some British bonnets. (Mel Gibson's The Patriot was particularly outrageous with that church burning scene.)

Jimmy

Veteran Member
US good went in to stop terror then we realized nuttin we can do. Unfortunately taliban is what it is

Curious George

Veteran Member
I think there is an issue here, that between artistic responsibility and artistic freedom that makes the question much more complex than a yes or no. Generally, I disfavor limiting artistic expression.