• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An algebra problem for you: How much is the average person in the World worth?

SPLogan

An algebra problem for you: :help:

V= total value of all the World's assets
P= worlds population

X= average value of assets for one person in the World

V/P=X

Over time, do any of the above variables remain constant? (obviously, population is not constant) What causes increases/decreases in V and X?
Does change in population affect the average worth of a person's assets?

Is it possible for V to change?

Economy is fascinating and mysterious to me. What ultimately drives worth?

SPLogan

spacemonkey said:
But does the total greed in the world increase or decrease? Why or why not?
Does population affect that the total value of the World's assets?

I guess that in the supply & demand scenario, the total value of the World's assets is increasing with the population. (shorter supply, greater demand) I hope that doesn't mean that the number and severity of wars will increase with the population.:eek:

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
What I mean by my 1 word answer is that wealth is a concept made up by humans in order to satisfy feelings of greed. If you are not greedy there is no need to accumulate wealth. Something is only worth what someone will do to obtain it.

SPLogan

greed is bad, right?

So... what if most people became less greedy- except for a few people?
Would the few greedy people lord over and dominate the non-greedy people?
Could those few dramatically affect the value of the World's total assets?

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
SPLogan said:
greed is bad, right?

So... what if most people became less greedy- except for a few people?
Would the few greedy people lord over and dominate the non-greedy people?
Could those few dramatically affect the value of the World's total assets?
I would say that is exactly what the greedy people of the world already try to do. Besides, i think you are missing my point. Greed creates value, if you remove greed, then one would be happy with having what it needs to survive and live comfortably. If you take away someones desire to accumulate more then they need (greed) then you relise that nothing has value.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

While I don't disagree with your tenet that greed and the desire to acquire leads to items having value, I think you might as well try to produce a human without lungs as one without greed. Nature dictates that the greedy survive. A powerful lion is greedy, he eats all he can, he procreates with all the females he can get ahold of, and this continues until another more powerful lion comes along to carry on the tradition.

Humans, at the end of the day, are not that much different than animals. We have a desire for those items which makes life possible, first, then those items which makes life pleasurable. While there is a finite amount of need for those items necessary for life, air, water, food, there is no self limiting on the desire for the items which make life pleasurable.

Greed is bad? Depends upon who you ask. Greed has led to all the major inovations and inventions of our time. If not for a hope of pecuniary gain, people would cease to produce the goods and services which has lead to our current way of life. Air conditioning, clothing, transportation, etc. etc. etc. are all where they are because some clever inventor, attempting to improve his own net worth, came up with a better mousetrap, so to speak.

It is very common for us to look at the simple tribesman, the "noble savage" and say he has no greed, and that is the way we should all live. This notion is widespread, tho likely misguided. And even if not misguided, it is certainly unworkable. Ancient man had an insatiable greed for the things which sustain life, just as we do today. It is unlikely that he also did not have a similar greed for the things which brought pleasure to his existence. He simply was limited in his choice of pleasurable items. And he was quite tied up with the time and energy it took to acquire the things which make life possible at all, including food, water and shelter.

As soon as those ancient people started up agriculture and industry, they began the road which inevitably led to what you see when you look around you today.

B.