• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aniak High School Halfbreeds

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
No, I am not being a racist or offensive. This is actually the mascot for Aniak High School up here in Alaska. The people of the village of Aniak have stood firmly on not changing the mascot, even though they may be forced to. Some people in the state, not in the village itself, have said that the term is racist and therefore should be changed if the school district wants to continue receiving state funding. The name itself is used to discribe the majority of the population of the village, who's ancestry is that of native alaskan and american/russian. So what are your thoughts? Should the school and the villagers be forced by the government to change the name of the mascot? Or, should the state stay out of it because of the feelings of the villagers?

Aqualung

Tasty
I don't think they should have to change it unless the people who actually use the school are mad. People are always trying to do "what's right" for people, but they have no idea. They're not there, so they don't know how to do what's right, and I think this is a great example of that.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
halfbreed.jpg

linwood

The same thing happened with FSU`s Seminoles.

The Seminole nation of Florida contacted the [size=-1]NACCB and told them they wanted FSU taken off their list of racist names.

After a short fight they were taken off.

I don`t think anything can be done if those whose name is being used don`t wish it to be done.

[/size]