• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

animals and souls

do animals have souls?

• Total voters

Circle_One

I think yes, animals most definitely have souls. I'd elaborate, but it's late and I'm tired, perhaps another time when I'm more well rested.

jimbob

The Celt
I perfectly understand C1.

Bye the way, I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!!! I can't believe its the Gob king from the Labrynth. You are like the only person i know who has seen that. Rock on!!!!

ayani

yes, i believe that animals have souls. they have emotions, personalities, relationships with one another and sometimes with humans... i remember when my dog died i was devastated. the vet's office offered to dispose of his body themselves, but my mom asked that he be cremated. we still have his little box of ashes on the mantle. he was a sweet-natured, sensitive little guy and a huge part of our family. i'd like to think he's running around somewhere green and sunny right now, playing fetch with our dad. :)

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
jimbob said:
I perfectly understand C1.

Bye the way, I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!!! I can't believe its the Gob king from the Labrynth. You are like the only person i know who has seen that. Rock on!!!!
I think you underestimate the rest of us there, Jimbob.

Crystallas

I have the Labrynth on laserdisc, Betamax, VHS and DVD. Aswell as the soundtrack on Cassette and CD. I love Jim Henson, Davis Bowie and of course the most beautiful Jennifer Connely! :)

As far as animals go. I believe anything that can tell the diffrence from right and wrong in any form has a soul. But people fall inlove with artificial things too, like clothes, games, stuffed animals..ect... I dont believe those have souls, even though Gods creatures show much love for them and sadness for them when they lose such.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I believe animals have souls - I believe that all that has gowth, is able to reproduce has a souls whether or not it is sentient. There are people who believe that pets' characters emulate those of their owners - I tend to go along with that idea, from what I personally have observed; anyone else have a view on this ? :)

Fluffy

A fool
Yes because 1) Anything with a brain has a soul and 2) You don't lose your soul when you reincarnate as a different animal.

Tawn

There should be an option for NO - and neither do humans.. I dont want to be lumped with Theists who believe humans have souls and animals do not - so I striked.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fluffy said:
Yes because 1) Anything with a brain has a soul and 2) You don't lose your soul when you reincarnate as a different animal.
I agree, but I can't see Deut or Tawn - or TVOR agreeing with you!:jiggy:

Fluffy

A fool
I agree, but I can't see Deut or Tawn - or TVOR agreeing with you!:jiggy:
And quite rightly so on there part, in my opinion. I am trying to extend an irrational belief through reason which is a rather funny thing to try and do but oh well :).

ayani

michel said:
There are people who believe that pets' characters emulate those of their owners- I tend to go along with that idea, from what I personally have observed; anyone else have a view on this?
i agree with you, michel. it's very possible for a pet and human's personalities to rub off on and nurture one another. does that sound corny? yeah, i guess. but there's something speacial about the bond that can form between humans and animals, no doubt.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Why would they not? If we believe humans have souls, no reason exists that forces us to not extend the same to non-humans.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I believe that animals have souls.

On a side note, I have three cats and none of them is really close to me in personality, but they are all distinct. One is shy and clingy yet playful, one is very clingy and lazy and slightly slow in the head :p , the other is playful and quite friendly but can't stand to be held and would rather take your arm off than be carried or picked up:D .

P.S. - Labyrinth ROCKS:jam:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
jimbob said:
The much debated question. Whats your viewpoint?
I am 100% convinced that animals have souls. Not only is this what I believe, it's what my Church teaches. I don't know very many people who love animals as much as I do. I am so grateful that, like we humans, they too will be resurrected some day.

Stormygale

Animals have distinct personalities. Humans have the same. Animals are mammals. Humans are mammals. Human have souls. Why can't all mammals have souls? Do they? I can't say. I am not God.
The Bible does tell us that everything that has breath praises God. Could a soul-less entity praise God? Probably not. That would be pointless.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Yes, animals have souls. Couldn't have an animal spiritual brother, or guide, or fimiliar if they didn't.

arthra

Baha'i
Animals have more empowered senses than we do and can perform amazing feats!

People personalize animals and adopt them as pets. We give them names and project personality onto them.

As much joy and happiness as animals can give us I don't believe they have souls...Animals lack comprehension. Kindness to animals is also very important and there need to be guidelines for treating them.

- Art