• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anne Lister

apophenia

After learning about Anne Lister, I have a few questions.

Have you heard of her prior to reading this thread ?

Is she a positive or negative role model for women ?

Is there any significant difference in the feminism of lesbian and heterosexual women ?

The documentary I viewed is available here ... ABC iview until about August 27.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
After learning about Anne Lister, I have a few questions.

Have you heard of her prior to reading this thread ?
Nope

Is she a positive or negative role model for women ?

Is there any significant difference in the feminism of lesbian and heterosexual women ?
I would have to say "I don't know" to both questions.

The documentary I viewed is available here ... ABC iview until about August 27.
Is it the same documentary I found and watched on youtube in 3 parts here?

[youtube]XCGvA59MSug[/youtube]
Anne Lister BBC documentary - Part 1 - YouTube
[youtube]_c61gOwpPVg[/youtube]
Anne Lister BBC documentary - Part 2 - YouTube
[youtube]NlczgNH_n-w[/youtube]
Anne Lister BBC documentary (FINALE) - Parte 3 - YouTube

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Anne Lister sounds quite privledged!

I'm surprised she didn't get burned at the stake and called a witch.Very surprised.She slipped under the radar and didn't get murdered like most women would have .Guesse that's why she used lots of code.She didn't want to have a rock hung around her neck and thrown in a lake ..or be burned on a stake.

Good for her!

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Oh and its not threatening to men? Because HUGE portion of men are turned on by a woman have sex with another woman! DUH!!Its a "common' fantasy of hetero men.No surprise.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
O.K now I'm wondering what a life and biography of a lesbian woman from the 1800's has to do with feminism?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I've never heard of her before now. But after a quick search I wonder if she was transgender. Yes she may have been biologically a woman who was attracted to women, but given she is described as doing things that were more typical for men, having a masculine appearance, and even being known as "Gentleman Jack" by estate residents and "Fred" by a lover makes me wonder if the "first modern lesbian" idea is at all accurate.

apophenia

I've never heard of her before now. But after a quick search I wonder if she was transgender. Yes she may have been biologically a woman who was attracted to women, but given she is described as doing things that were more typical for men, having a masculine appearance, and even being known as "Gentleman Jack" by estate residents and "Fred" by a lover makes me wonder if the "first modern lesbian" idea is at all accurate.

Well, good one Shadow Wolf. Yours is the only serious response so far.

Yes, it does sound like Anne probably had higher than average testosterone levels. But some lesbians clearly do, and others don't.

DallasApple - you seem to have got most of the basic information quite confused. Not to worry. Whatever gives you a laugh :)

I thought there was a lot of interesting and illuminating material in this documentary, and not only about Anne Lister. I don't think I'm alone in that. Clearly it is just the demographic represented here at RF who find it so .... insignificant ? boring ? stupid ? ... no-one bothered with it in the Men's Issues DIR either. So only me (and my partner) and a bunch of historians and the BBC consider it worth anybody's attention . Pay no attention to us. :D

That tells me something about current state of dialog about gender issues, so I actually appreciate all the non-replies. That casts light on the subject of what is discussable, and what is considered merely cussable. :rolleyes:

Thank you to all those who helped me get this clear. Silence is a meaningful response. As an unknown genius once said ..." Spot the obvious omissions".

But if any of you watch it and begin discussing it, you may find that there is some interesting material here, if you find human nature interesting, as I do.

I'll leave it at that.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Got a lot on my plate right now, apophenia, since we moved the business on August 1 and expanded operations. Chunks of time are rare now, but I'm working the schedule out to allow me more chunks of time to watch a documentary that was presented to me. I have it on my watch-list, so eventually I will find myself watching it.

Don't feel too bad. It took me 3 months before I sat down and watched docs that my mother gave me about First Wave and Second Wave feminism.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
One quote from Anne Lister presented in the documentary: "Intellect has no gender."