• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anne Lister

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Thank you to all those who helped me get this clear. Silence is a meaningful response. As an unknown genius once said ..." Spot the obvious omissions".

So does that make one who complains about the silence as in posting this 2X and making comments about no one responding very smart?

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
[QUOTEThat tells me something about current state of dialog about gender issues, so I actually appreciate all the non-replies. That casts light on the subject of what is discussable, and what is considered merely cussable. ][/QUOTE]

did you ever consider its boring? Seriuosly did that cross your mind?Or that if it was a human interest story that it has NOTHING to do with feminisim?Other than things like I noted Anne "lucked' out inheriting land and property because there was no male to inheretit it?

Basically the entire video (that I watched ) was about Anne's affairs (sexual) with women.Multiple..over years..I guess I'm wondering what your point is?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
[QUOTEThat tells me something about current state of dialog about gender issues, so I actually appreciate all the non-replies. That casts light on the subject of what is discussable, and what is considered merely cussable. ]

did you ever consider its boring? Seriuosly did that cross your mind?Or that if it was a human interest story that it has NOTHING to do with feminisim?Other than things like I noted Anne "lucked' out inheriting land and property because there was no male to inheretit it?

Basically the entire video (that I watched ) was about Anne's affairs (sexual) with women.Multiple..over years..I guess I'm wondering what your point is?[/quote]
What I find interesting about her story is that she wasn't burned at the stake, that some guy didn't swindle her money or estate, or some other travesty didn't befall her. A wealthy woman back then was practically unheard of unless her husband was wealthy or a male family member generous enough to share; a woman acting like a man probably wasn't all the uncommon but being so open and bold about it had to be a severe culture shock, but a wealthy woman who is openly assuming a male role may have been enough to make heads explode, and back then I'm surprised she didn't have the torch-and-pitchfork mob chasing after her.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
What I find interesting about her story is that she wasn't burned at the stake, that some guy didn't swindle her money or estate, or some other travesty didn't befall her. A wealthy woman back then was practically unheard of unless her husband was wealthy or a male family member generous enough to share; a woman acting like a man probably wasn't all the uncommon but being so open and bold about it had to be a severe culture shock, but a wealthy woman who is openly assuming a male role may have been enough to make heads explode, and back then I'm surprised she didn't have the torch-and-pitchfork mob chasing after her.
Well, there was that bit when Anne got into the coal market where her competition propagandized the crowds into making 2 female effigies and burning them. When that didn't work, and Anne was successful at undercutting her competition in the price of coal did her competition admit, "I've never been beaten by a woman before."

I'd say that Anne's story was all about "follow the money," imo. If money/economics has been the driving force behind the misogyny spin, then one might very well expect to see this spin increase with the industrial revolution.