• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Frivolous Lawsuit - from the "left" this time

Pah

Uber all member
Church-state separation group to challenge missions-restoration law
http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=14468
By The Associated Press
WASHINGTON — An advocacy group announced a lawsuit yesterday over legislation to restore California’s aging Spanish missions, arguing that the law violates the principle of separation of church and state.

Americans United for Separation of Church and State said it would file suit against Interior Secretary Gale Norton on behalf of four California residents. Norton’s department would distribute $10 million in federal funding under the law, which President Bush signed on Nov. 30.

“The act on its face advances religion in violation of the establishment clause of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution,” says the lawsuit, which seeks to get the law struck down. Americans United was set to file the suit today in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.

The US Supreme Court has ruled that "seemely" religious support is permissible for historic purposes. Do these advoctes think it is easy to overturn a previous decision?

Obviously, this group knows more about law than I do but what am I missing here?

Bob

Sasquatch

So the left fires up another bogus lawsuit. It's been happening for a long time. Why so surprised?

The problem is that too many people don't recognize the difference between "Freedom of Religion" and "Freedom from Religion".

I wonder how much money we all would have if there weren't so many sue-happy lawyers out there, waiting to pounce on any chance to make money or a name. Like John Edwards.

Pah

Uber all member
Sasquatch said:
So the left fires up another bogus lawsuit. It's been happening for a long time. Why so surprised?

'"Bogus", in my mind, is the frivilous lawsuit that has no chance of being won. We are where we are just because the "left" has won their cases as a statement of rights and freedoms. I have really seen no other action from the "right" in this matter but a continuence of retro-thinking to stonewall progress.

The problem is that too many people don't recognize the difference between "Freedom of Religion" and "Freedom from Religion".

I don't see a difference if you frame the issue as freedom of choice in regard to religion.

I wonder how much money we all would have if there weren't so many sue-happy lawyers out there, waiting to pounce on any chance to make money or a name. Like John Edwards.

This seems off-topic - would you like me to start another thread?

Bob

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Everyone in America is a victim. Just ask them. How restoring historical buildings is going to "hurt" someone is beyond me. I am thinking that there must be someone wanting to raze the churches to build another shopping mall.

But I tend to be pessimistic at times about people's motives.

desi

Acknowledinging God in any way gives credibility to his existance which gives credit to some people being wrong. Since the wrong people don't want to hear it they plug all our ears in the name of political correctness.

Pah

Uber all member
desi said:
Acknowledinging God in any way gives credibility to his existance which gives credit to some people being wrong. Since the wrong people don't want to hear it they plug all our ears in the name of political correctness.
Hardly! Proof that Christianity exists does not prove christ exists. A church building only acknowledges that some believe Christ exists.

It is precisely the case here that the missions should be restored for historic purposes (which I support).

Bob