• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

another **** page.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I liked the analogy that i think Mystic mentioned of fat shaming.It would be like saying by being over weight you have invited anyone and everyone who feels like it to start a FB page called Festival Fat A*** to post photos of over weight people.And hundreds of lewd /mocking comments.And if you have an issue with that you are told "what else would you expect?"Obviously you were looking for attention and you got it.Its freedom of speech and if you don't like it don't go to the site.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
It was photoshopped onto the t-shirt in one of the pictures. I stated that the comments below found nothing wrong with it. I disagree that such a comment is not hateful, but that it's supportive of violence against "sluts."

I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously. Look at the full picture very closely in context. It's distasteful humor.

And like I said to FH, you have to understand that I live for the stage, and I have been the target of reviews in our local media. People are people. Misogyny is misogyny.

It's not that simple, Heather, particularly, when we're discussing feminism and the differences in how women and men approach feministic views.

Let's talk art for a spell. You are living art when you perform. I may see something totally different in a performance than that which you intended to project, just as you might interpret art on my face differently than what I intended.

Misognyny is only misogyny per our own understanding of the term and how we apply it to situations.

FH and I haven't seen misogynistic comments where you and others have. That doesn't make you wrong. That also doesn't make us wrong.

And we acknowledge that it's arrogant to assume that the women in these photographs may not have construed such comments to be misogynistic just because we haven't construed such context to be misogynistic.

Isn't it always different when it becomes a personal story? :p.

It shouldn't be. I am attempting to apply the same logic to other situations as well. There's a difference between being verbally attacked in an unprovoked manner and someone commenting on that which has submitted for comment.

Well first, there's a debate earlier in the thread that questioned whether or not the women in the photographs willingly submitted their photos. You're under the assumption that they all did, and that assumption has been put under scrutiny.

I'm not assuming that they all submitted their photographs. In fact, I assume that many in fact, did not. However, I do assume, based upon the context of the photographs that these women were willful participants in the snapping of these photos. I assume willing participation in the photograph...not necessarily willing submission of the photographs to the website.

As FH and I have both said, if these photos were submitted without knowledge of the people in the photos, action should be taken to remove them. If people were not of legal age to participate in such context, legal action should be taken. No dispute.

Second, some would say (I wouldn't say this) that you appearing in public by itself appearance alone is inviting comments. There's a whole thread on fat-shaming that addresses the phenomena in our culture, and that the people who justify their behavior does place the onus on men and women like you who they see as not taking responsibility for your behavior. There are people who would suggest if you let yourself go like that, then what do you expect when you walk out in public?

I don't have a problem with people saying that I'm responsible for my body and behavior. I am responsible for my body and behavior. I don't take issue with people having an opinion about the way that I look.

What I don't condone is DISCRIMINATION and I wouldn't condone this for anyone. I don't condone you looking at me when I walk through the door and writing me off as not being able to do something before you interview me or test my capabilities. This has been my consistent argument.

Anything else I've shared has simply been retort to comments that I've disagreed with, but on a fundamental level, Heather, I have ALWAYS respected the right of people to object to my obesity and say whatever the hell they want to about it. As long as those opinions do not infringe upon my personal rights - we don't have a problem because I know who I am and what I'm capable of. You can **** me off but you can't really fat shame me. Only I can really fat-shame myself. Society can **** me off with standards of beauty and people can irritate me with their close mindedness but they don't break me.

I don't expect other people to change. I am change in my life.

It's a pretty sad position to take, IMO, by saying that you deserve your treatment, when you yourself say that you did nothing to invite such comments. I'm across the board with the live and let live mentality, and challenging others who think they're justified with NOT letting others live and just live.

I didn't say that I deserved bull **** comments. But, here's the thing, unintelligent and bigoted comments against me do not alter my ability to live freely. I'm still able to be successful, happy and healthy regardless as to what people think or say about the way I look. I know I'm pretty without some ******* in public justifying that for me. I'm human. Hurtful things...hurt. But, I'm fat, Heather. Seriously, why is it going to alter my life if someone points out to me that I'm fat?

It's like, no ****, sherlock. Thanks for pointing that out. Have a nice day.

I'm consistently saying that you are living your life, that you ought to be free from disparaging comments and harassment just because you're living your life and enjoying who you are. I find the same defense ought to be applied to women who flip their tops up for a camera. Both of you are in public. I'm on stage. So all of us are living freely with our choices. That is what I defend.

As a generality, I agree with you.

What I'm cautious of, is situational context. Because, the woman who decides to flip up her shirt in a public place could potentially offend other people if it's an environment where there are people of various belief systems. Not everyone will find her expression of freedom acceptable in every situation. She's not free from comment.

I'm sure people felt justified in screaming at the suffragettes, at women who entered the work force and attained positions of power, at women who convinced their religious organizations to begin ordaining women, and women who got on the pill for the purpose of preventing a pregnancy. Women who walk around with condoms in their purses. Women who decided to wear bikinis. Women who decided to march for the E.R.A.

And that's okay. People were allowed to feel justified at screaming at women for suggesting change.

I'm not focusing on the feelings of women, but the perpetuation of the attitude that women deserve the disparaging comments by bringing it on themselves. I'm not telling people that they should never be allowed to speak against feminism, but instead I'm challenging the motivation as to what aspects of feminism they feel so justified in offering. And when it comes to women taking their tops off or breastfeeding in class in front of students, I'm not telling people to never speak their minds, but I'm challenging what is motivating the hostile reactions to women who are living their lives as freely as they believe men

Fully with you here, Heather. Let's talk about the women in the pictures in the facebook page. What hostile reactions have you noted, save the debateable "sluts get cut" photoshopped picture?

Last edited:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Stop right there....why do you think there is nothing women can do? Where is the acceptance of the status quo coming from?).

Okay. Save, education, how can women eradicate negative sterotypes, when women utilize the same negative stereotypes? Howe can you eradicate such stereotypes when women embrace such stereotypes?

It's the truth, you will NOT be able to change the minds of every person who makes a negative association with the word "****". You cannot stop people from using a label that women themselves are using to describe their personna, their chosen profession, etc.

There's nothing that we can do to fully eradicate negative stereotypes.

I go past resentment. I speak up and tell men and other women who practice ****-shaming against others that they're speaking from a position of intolerance. I don't sit back and whine about being helpless. I challenge their positions. I back it up with parallels to other issues of equality - whether it's women, blacks, queers, indigenous people, etc.

Also, as I'd stated before, I wear the term "whore" like a badge of honor rather than to let such a term carry its power over me. But I also challenge people perceptions of what "whore" means to them, and what they believe society should expect from "whores". Freedom? Social exile? Or targets of assault?

I applaud you and I sincerely respect your efforts.

You cannot control that people will continue to utilize the term "whore" negatively and interpret differently than you might, despite your efforts.

That doesn't mean that you stop trying. But, without more of a united front amongst feminists, women will continue to fight this battle as it applies to unfair stereotyping and part of this will be in part to the labels that women choose to apply to themselves and womens' actions that others find objectionable.

It's all relative to opinion and individual mindset and psyche. You don't have the power to crawl into someone's head and rewire them.

Instead of telling women that they're only hurting progress of feminism just because they actually dress or act the stereotype that hurts us, why not fight for their freedom to choose and to change their minds whenever they wish?

Fight for their freedom. YES. Fight for the ridiculous notion that women should be shielded from objectionable opinion. Not necessarily. Situational context needs to be considered.

I prefer truth. There are some women who do hurt the progress of feminism and they should be called out on it if they give a damn about their own freedoms and equality.

agree that women are the biggest contributor to ****-shaming. But where we part ways is the distinction of responsibility. I don't think "sluts" are responsible, but those who target women who they think act like "sluts."

Targeting people unfairly is not okay.

Putting yourself out there for inspection and projecting under the personna of a stereotype is a choice. I'm not asking you to agree.

How is your personal account of the dairy farm any different than my account at the grocery store?

I've enjoyed the discussion as well, though I'd counter that we don't have radically different beliefs. I think we have common goals in terms of equality for women. We interpret situations and intentions differently.

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I don't have a problem with people saying that I'm responsible for my body and behavior. I am responsible for my body and behavior. I don't take issue with people having an opinion about the way that I look.

So you would not have an issue with there being a site dedicated to posting pictures of overweight people with thousands of degrading remarks ?"Jokes" about cutting fat people?Smelly stinking fatsos?..O.K...I would.I would have a big issue with that.

Wherenextcolumbus

I also think what that photo is trying to say is that only "unattractive" women hate sluts, that is why it's an over weight woman "wearing" the t-shirt and then you have slim "****" walking behind her looking at the camera.
The whole "you are just a jealous fat cow who wishes all these men would want to f you" type thing.

freethinker44

I find the equivalency in that they are wishing to celebrate their sexuality in a culture that wishes they wouldn't. If a woman is flipping her top up, I don't find it an invitation to degrade her or shame her. Much the same, that if a gay man is seeking to engage in sex with a willing male partner, I don't find it an invitation to out him and shame him in front of millions.

A more appropriate analogy would be a man flashing his penis in public. And yes, he would be degraded and shamed and possibly tazed.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Dawny, the woman who made that comment is not the woman in the picture.

Please stop claiming women are submitting these pictures of themselves to this page unless you can provide evidence. The administrator openly acknowledged in his comments that it contains no original content.

Photos submitted by women, if there are any, will be in the "recent posts by others" section, not the front page.

See post #302

I assumed that photographs weren't being contributed by women. How many or how any contributed photos are being presented...I didn't know and have not seen the administrator's comments.

I do assume, by the context of the pictures that some of these women were willing participants in having their photos taken. My arguments are not impacted.

Consistently, I have said throughout this thread, that if content has been submitted to this site without the knowledge of women (anyone, really) represented, content should be removed. Additionally, I do not condone underrage girls being represented in such as way and support legal action for all involved if underrage girls are being exploited on the site.

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I also think what that photo is trying to say is that only "unattractive" women hate sluts, that is why it's an over weight woman "wearing" the t-shirt and then you have slim "****" walking behind her looking at the camera.
The whole "you are just a jealous fat cow who wishes all these men would want to f you" type thing.

Right.I think some of the comments indicated that view.And by the way she was mocked for her weight.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
And distasteful humor is a reportable violation of FB rules.I reported it and they left it up.

I construed the photograph as distateful humor. What I presented to Mystic is that such a photograph is open for interpretation. My interpretation doesn't necessarily have to be yours, Dallas.

If you find it offensive of course, report it again.

freethinker44

I liked the analogy that i think Mystic mentioned of fat shaming.It would be like saying by being over weight you have invited anyone and everyone who feels like it to start a FB page called Festival Fat A*** to post photos of over weight people.And hundreds of lewd /mocking comments.And if you have an issue with that you are told "what else would you expect?"Obviously you were looking for attention and you got it.Its freedom of speech and if you don't like it don't go to the site.

Sort of like people of Walmart? No one objects to that.

freethinker44

And distasteful humor is a reportable violation of FB rules.I reported it and they left it up.

I'm pretty sure distasteful humor isn't against Facebook rules. I looked through their terms and policies and didn't find anything about distasteful humor. Maybe you could provide the source?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I'm pretty sure distasteful humor isn't against Facebook rules. I looked through their terms and policies and didn't find anything about distasteful humor. Maybe you could provide the source?

When you push the report button you have options for why you are reporting it.Distasteful humor is one of them.I don't know how I can "provide" that here.Go try it.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

Context.

Bending over and showing all of my girl parts for a photograph in a public place is a very different action when compared to minding my own business while driving down the street.

Perceptions and subseqent feedback regarding such actions are going to be very diferent because of context.

If someone posted a picture of me on a fat bashing site, I'd ask to have it removed. If I was ****** enough that a picture of me was obtained without my knowledge, I'd pursue legal channels.

Again, you have the right to verbally object to my body weight. You may not have the right to take pictures of me without my knowing and post them on online websites for ridicule.

Last edited: