• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any good sources for general information on Modern Orthodoxy?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I have a few books that hit on the subject, but nothing that really goes into detail. The OU's website doesn't help with general information, and most of what I can find with a web search seems to be centered on Haredi.

Anyone able to recommend any resources?

Harmonious

I have a few books that hit on the subject, but nothing that really goes into detail. The OU's website doesn't help with general information, and most of what I can find with a web search seems to be centered on Haredi.

Look out for publications by Yeshiva University. Rabbi Maurice Lamm (brother of Rabbi Norman Lamm) has many useful books out.

Artscroll/Mesorah has all kinds of good information.

But walking into a Judaica store and asking someone is probably the easiest way to get what you are looking for.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Look out for publications by Yeshiva University. Rabbi Maurice Lamm (brother of Rabbi Norman Lamm) has many useful books out.

Artscroll/Mesorah has all kinds of good information.

Thanks, Harmonious. I'll keep an out for them.

But walking into a Judaica store and asking someone is probably the easiest way to get what you are looking for.

I'd love to be able to, but it requires a trip of several hundred miles. ;)

Ideally, I would have loved to have attended different synagogues before I chose to convert, but it wasn't a possibility in my area. So now I'm playing catch-up. We're a conservative (although not officially) community with a health reform population, so I'm familiar to both of those. But I only know one couple who leans orthodox, and they can only tell me about their childhoods.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Well, what are some of the questions you have?

They're many and varied, and to be honest, I'd rather research a more general overview before I begin asking specific questions here.

What I'm looking for is just a general picture of theology, philosophy, practice, ritual, ect.

Harmonious

Rabbi Joseph Telushkin and Rabbi Zelig Plishkin also have some nice things.

However, one of my favorite fellows to read is Rabbi Yissachar Frand. Two books of his that cover a good number of topics are "Rabbi Frand in Print" and "Listen to Your Messages".

Levite

Higher and Higher

I can't refer you books on general information, but I can recommend some good books by Modern Orthodox scholars, if you like. Everyone should probably read some stuff by the Rav (Joseph Soloveitchik); you might like stuff by R. Eliezer Berkovits, who was an excellent thinker, a real scholar. R. Avraham Yitzchak Kook, the first Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi of Israel, also a great, great thinker. R. Daniel Sperber, R. Menachem Kellner, R. Marc Angel, R. David Hartman, R. Avi Weiss and R. Dov Linzer, all are terrific Modern Orthodox scholars who have written wonderful stuff....

Rakhel

Two web sites I know, though I haven't checked them out in a bit, are Torah.org(which I think is more modern Orthodox) and 613.org(which is more Haredi based). Both offer internet classes, though I can't say too much about 613.org. Torah.org sends stuff via email.

Beyond that....I am not too sure how much more I can help. But, I will continue to look.