• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

anybody feel guilt?

does anybody feel guilty about not living up to their diests standards, and what are you going to do to remedy that, or do you hope it will just turn out to be ok for you, or are you even concerned about it?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Yes. And no. If I felt the amount of guilt that I should be feeling, I'd have no quality of life at all. That sounds completely horrible but it's true.

Blackheart

Yes. And no. If I felt the amount of guilt that I should be feeling, I'd have no quality of life at all. That sounds completely horrible but it's true.

Naughty Girl! lol.

I feel guilty for the whole world. I feel guilty and embarrassed by the human existance. Can you imagine being God looking down and seeing what a joke we are? He gives us brains and we use it to try and disprove his existance so that we can become our own Gods. He gives us scriptures and we discount them as evidence because it would disrupt our mission to be the biggest and the best in the universe.

As for personal guilt I have little right now. Im growing older and wiser and therefore I am more able to manage my own behaviour. Not saying that I am without sin but I certainly dont purposely go against my own beliefs anymore.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
does anybody feel guilty about not living up to their diests standards, and what are you going to do to remedy that, or do you hope it will just turn out to be ok for you, or are you even concerned about it?
All my deity (I'm assuming a deity is the same thing as a dieist ;)) expects from me is that I keep trying. I do that all the time, so I am pretty much living up to His standard.

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
Naughty Girl! lol.

I feel guilty for the whole world. I feel guilty and embarrassed by the human existance. Can you imagine being God looking down and seeing what a joke we are? He gives us brains and we use it to try and disprove his existance so that we can become our own Gods. He gives us scriptures and we discount them as evidence because it would disrupt our mission to be the biggest and the best in the universe.

How sad for you, to look at all of humanity, in all its beauty and variety, and see it as "a joke." You must watch too much news, because for every 1 person out there that is evil, you have hundreds that are living normal, decent lives, and trying to leave the world a better place.

And nobody is trying to disprove god so they can be their own gods and do whatever they want. I have never met an atheist who had this motivation for not believing, and I consider it a gross misrepresentation of atheists. Atheists don't believe because "god" (actually the universe) gave us a brain and then decided not to show us that he is there at all, so they see no reason to believe. And there are countless "inspired" scriptures, all describing different gods, and they all have about as much evidence to back them up as all the others.

People are atheists because they think its unjustified to believe in god, not because they actually think there is a god and they don't want to have to put up with rules. If you want to lie and say this isn't true, so be it. BUT YOU ARE LYING.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
How can there be no guilt. Do you never do anything that you think you should not have done?
Of course we do. There is no guilt because of the concept of karma. Basically, karma is simultaneous cause and effect. The instant you have made the cause (the choice of thought word or action) then you have also created that causes' effect within your life - you make your own payback for everything you do, positive or negative, good neutral or bad. Actually it's all neutral - good or bad, positive or negative are our own judgement calls on how those effects impact our lives and the lives of others.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, I'm not particularly guilty about anything.

That doesn't mean I don't make mistakes, though. I continually try to refine my behaviors to remove errors and falsehoods, decrease negative output, and increase positive output.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Guilt isn't a very useful feeling, and it is usually possible to avoid it entirely by being aware of the likely outcomes of one's choices.

For the most part, nurturing a genuine desire to learn and to avoid repeating mistakes is quit enough to substitute for guilt in a much healthier way.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight

Nope. I have guilt about some things, but not because I think a deity demands or requests things of me. I think religion often does a might fine job (both explicitly and as unintended secondary results) of shaming and guilting people as a motivating tool.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
When I feel guilty is because of something that I think I did wrong. Not because of what another persons ideal of god thinks. If there is a creator or creators of reality I have not met it or them yet so I don't know what type of standards they have.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

I believe that there is always room for improvement, and the more I know, the more I realize I DON'T know. Part of my belief system is to keep pushing myself to try to understand my purpose here, and to be a giver rather than a taker.

I feel guilty when I don't treat others as I would want to be treated. Sometimes that treatment is simply a judgment in my mind, that they probably never even are aware of - but I know I wasn't looking at that person or treating them as Jesus would - or as I would want to be treated.

I feel guilty when I am so caught up in my own interests that I miss the true needs of others, especially when I have so much.

That's why my New Years' Maxim is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." I don't do New Years Resolutions - instead I pick a teaching or saying or truism and try to apply that one particularly to my life - to really learn and understand it and it's ramifications.

So that's mine for this year.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I don't have a god, but I do have a set of morals, and an ideal of good things I should do.

That said, I feel slightly guilty that I don't help out in soup kitchens and stuff like that. I'm very selfish with my time.

Looncall

One needs to be careful about this matter of guilt.

Religious leaders make their livings by making people feel guilty all the time. It is a very well-honed craft with them, and totally dishonest.

When I feel guilty is because of something that I think I did wrong. Not because of what another persons ideal of god thinks. If there is a creator or creators of reality I have not met it or them yet so I don't know what type of standards they have.

(murder, steeling, rape, asault etc) how do you believe those boundaries are in your brains hardwiring? i`m not suggesting that some diety instilled them in you, i just would like to know how you believe they came to be in a persons nature to believe they are wrong.
that question is open to all.

Guilt isn't a very useful feeling, and it is usually possible to avoid it entirely by being aware of the likely outcomes of one's choices.

For the most part, nurturing a genuine desire to learn and to avoid repeating mistakes is quit enough to substitute for guilt in a much healthier way.

i think guilt is a useful feeling.

One needs to be careful about this matter of guilt.

Religious leaders make their livings by making people feel guilty all the time. It is a very well-honed craft with them, and totally dishonest.

i dont think one needs to be careful of the matter of guilt, i think one needs to avoid anyone seeking to exploit using guilt.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
(murder, steeling, rape, asault etc) how do you believe those boundaries are in your brains hardwiring? i`m not suggesting that some diety instilled them in you, i just would like to know how you believe they came to be in a persons nature to believe they are wrong.
that question is open to all.
It's twofold:
1) Certain behaviors and tendencies can be strengthened and selected for via evolution. These general sort of behaviors can be seen in the animal kingdom, not just humans. Hence, we have bats that perform reciprocal altruism, dogs that have a sense of fairness, chimps that are able to show sympathy, etc.

2) Cultural reinforcement. Moral memes are passed down from parents to children, and are reinforced by what the child experiences within his culture.

Morality is very much a part of what makes society possible, so it is not that curious that it would have been selected for evolutionarily and valued culturally.