• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Natural Disasters Punishment From God?

ZVBM

Pagan_Patriot said:
That's a pretty rude thing to say.

I meant no offense to you.

Asserting that the floor at the Versailles Hall caved in because there was mixed dancing is moronic.

I just cannot believe that life & faith are that simple ("If God allowed/caused X to happen, it must be because of Y"). Such as we are incapable of knowing such things. Only God knows, and can know, what is in our hearts & why He does any thing.

Why would your conclusion that God would cause the tornado in response to the gay parade be any more valid than someone else's conclusion that He did not, or someone else's conclusion that the tornado was to punish Oklahoma City Thunder fans for rooting for a tean that got munched on by the Grizzlies in five games?

Sterling Archer said:
There is no way that the Kardashians are not sent to punish America for its sins

:D:p

if we do not want bad things to happen to us , this means that we hate injustice and suffering. since God created us in his image , indicates that he does not like these things neither. 1 john 5:19 "*We know we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the [power of the] wicked one. "
Satan makes people to be selfish and commit awful things. so people recklessly destroy their home . scientists say, that pollution of environment plays great role in causing calamities.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Inglesdva is on the right track. While our Sages do not dismiss or make light of the fact that the gentlemen (not) of Sodom intended to gangrape Lot's visitors, they cite Ezekiel 16:48 and say that Sodom's sin was more along the lines of extreme miserliness and being nasty to visitors and the poor.

Back to natural disasters. Such as we cannot know why God allows/causes such things to happen. (Deuteronomy 29:28 tells us that, "The secret things belong to the Lord our God.") This stuff is waaay beyond our ken. (As Buddha would say, such questions do not edify.)

I like Psalm 130:1-2. "Lord, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty; neither do I exercise myself in things too great or too wonderful for me. Surely I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with his mother; my soul is with me like a weaned child."

ZVBM

Actually I don't believe these verses have anything at all about homosexuality. The "people," not just the men, are saying send out the men so we can "judge and punish" them - as they intended to "judge and punish us." The idea that gay sex is meant here was added much later.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
*shrugs*. Do you think He would cause the tornado in responce to the gay parades? I still think so.

NO!!! Do you think the tornado was because heterosexual people were having sex with someone else's wife? How about someone ate pork? Was recent flooding because someone ate the wrong seafood?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
if we do not want bad things to happen to us , this means that we hate injustice and suffering. since God created us in his image , indicates that he does not like these things neither. 1 john 5:19 "*We know we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the [power of the] wicked one. "
Satan makes people to be selfish and commit awful things. so people recklessly destroy their home . scientists say, that pollution of environment plays great role in causing calamities.

This idea that Satan makes people do bad things - is NOT in the OT. The NT Christians took that idea from later groups.

No being makes you do bad things - you do bad things because YOU want to.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
NO!!! Do you think the tornado was because heterosexual people were having sex with someone else's wife? How about someone ate pork? Was recent flooding because someone ate the wrong seafood?

Rather petty god, I think.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Actually I don't believe these verses have anything at all about homosexuality. The "people," not just the men, are saying send out the men so we can "judge and punish" them - as they intended to "judge and punish us." The idea that gay sex is meant here was added much later.

ZVBM? Pagan_Patriot? No comments, or questions? :confused:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
If natural disasters are from God, presuming the op means the Christian god, it makes one wonder why he hits the Bible belt so often.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Nobody is insulting your god. Why insult ours?

Hath you not thought about the fact that you are asserting your god as a deity who finds mass murder and possible genocide just?
Am I to respect such a god and at the same time call murder wrong?
Or has hypocrisy taken a liking to you.

Tyrannizing the weak yet when you are being tyrannized you cry for help. I do not take fond to deities who enjoy the works of evil. Perhaps there is a reason why I hold firm to my belief the Devil(may he be praised) is perhaps a very good fellow.
He offered mankind the ability to choose and not be docile like children after all.

Last edited:

Pagan_Patriot

Hath you not thought about the fact that you are asserting your god as a deity who finds mass murder and possible genocide just?
Am I to respect such a god and at the same time call murder wrong?
Or has hypocrisy taken a liking to you

Well I wasn't not wrong. God does take His wrath on people in the Bible. Where's the hypocrisy?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I ever said in an earlier post that I didn't like it, so why is the finger pointed at me for?

But that just proves what I said earlier. You say you do not like it yet you believe in an unjust god who killed many innocents. So your god is not fair or retributive by your own accord