• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Natural Disasters Punishment From God?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
It depends. Maybe the child killed someone else. Yemen does it all the time.

And besides, parents are humans. God is above us. He can do what He wants to show us not to make mistakes.

It depends? Seriously? And I don't live in Yemen.

Rainbow Mage

What if your child killed someone?

I sure wouldn't kill my child myself. Rather the justice system did it is another matter. I don't think a good parent could kill their own child. The parent analogy makes the orthodox Christian view of God look even worse

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Except they're not mistakes. They're intentional.

So if they are intentional then he is not just? He has no sense of morals like we do? He gives out mandates of ethical conduct such as one of the 10 commandments which is Thou shalt not kill then does it himself?
But then again he does order his own followers to kill for him. Not even Saul himself could do Yahweh's work and commit and act of genocide upon an innocent people.

Pagan_Patriot

I sure wouldn't kill my child myself. Rather the justice system did it is another matter. I don't think a good parent could kill their own child. The parent analogy makes the orthodox Christian view of God look even worse

I used it only because he doesn't believe in this God. If I keep bringing up God in these arguments, he'll just not care.

Rainbow Mage

Yeah Saul's story is really kind of strange. He gets rejected by Yahweh completely and dies a terrible death because he kept the animals and the king alive.

That's another aspect of the OT that always confused me too- kill even the animals

What did the animals do to get on Yahweh's bad side?

Pagan_Patriot

So if they are intentional then he is not just? He has no sense of morals like we do? He gives out mandates of ethical conduct such as one of the 10 commandments which is Thou shalt not kill then does it himself?
But then again he does order his own followers to kill for him. Not even Saul himself could do Yahweh's work and commit and act of genocide upon an innocent people.

Well it's happened more than once in the Bible.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Well it's happened more than once in the Bible.

homer-simpson-doh.gif

Pagan_Patriot

No your level of empathy or lack there of just resembles Adolt Hitler who was quite fond of genocide. Thinking about it just injured my brain that's all

Well you don't believe in the same God I do, so of course it would be hard for you to understand, just like it would be hard for me to understand whatever you believe in. It's a pointless argument.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Well you don't believe in the same God I do, so of course it would be hard for you to understand, just like it would be hard for me to understand whatever you believe in. It's a pointless argument.

Well actually I was a Christian and was indoctrinated to believe the exact same that you believed. I recall Hurricane Katrina occurring and believing it was because of the wrath of Yahweh. But this did not last long.
So to say that I do not understand is quite an understatement.

Pagan_Patriot

Well actually I was a Christian and was indoctrinated to believe the exact same that you believed. I recall Hurricane Katrina occurring and believing it was because of the wrath of Yahweh. But this did not last long.
So to say that I do not understand is quite an understatement.

That place was full of gangbangers and prostitutes, so it's not that hard to believe.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
if we do not want bad things to happen to us , this means that we hate injustice and suffering. since God created us in his image , indicates that he does not like these things neither. 1 john 5:19 "*We know we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the [power of the] wicked one. "
Satan makes people to be selfish and commit awful things. so people recklessly destroy their home . scientists say, that pollution of environment plays great role in causing calamities.

"Satan" doesn't make people do anything. People commit evil acts because THEY want to.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
That place was full of gangbangers and prostitutes, so it's not that hard to believe.
Really?
So what was the reason that that particular place of gangbangers and prostitutes received "the wrath of God" and none of the other places full of gangbangers and prostitutes?