• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Nonreligious People Self-Centered?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Do nonreligious people seem self-righteous and ungrateful? Do they seem like they have all the answers and don’t need any help from anybody? I say no.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Do nonreligious people seem self-righteous and ungrateful? Do they seem like they have all the answers and don’t need any help from anybody?
You won't reach much of an useful conclusion asking these questions without a lot of previous establishing work to clarify what you are talking about, I fear.

All kinds of people are called "religious". Some of those are supremely self-righteous because they rely on their self-image as people who are "properly religious".

Similarly with "having all the answers" and being proud.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
You won't reach much of an useful conclusion asking these questions without a lot of previous establishing work to clarify what you are talking about, I fear.

All kinds of people are called "religious". Some of those are supremely self-righteous because they rely on their self-image as people who are "properly religious".

Similarly with "having all the answers" and being proud.
I agree but that’s for another thread.

LeftyLen

Do nonreligious people seem self-righteous and ungrateful? Do they seem like they have all the answers and don’t need any help from anybody? I say no.
The question too generic to offer a qualifying answer to. There are self righteous religious people as there are self righteous secular people. there are moral religious people as there are immoral religious people. religion is no shield to evil, in fact sometimes religion enhances evil. I would say in the macro secularism 'culturally 'is bad in society, but take it no further than that.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Just speaking personally - because that's all one can really do - when I had my ansgtheist phase, this was almost certainly the case. But I was also a kid/teen, and kids/teens aren't exactly known for not being ungrateful brats compared to adults.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We range the full spectrum of human characteristics.
So do religious people.

Reminds me something....
Years ago, the teenage son of a tenant told me that
I'm going to Hell because I don't believe in God, &
that I'm a tool of the Devil. He was certain of this.

Believers...they things they'll say.
Hah!

Kfox

I've found the non religious to be far more willing to admit to not having all of the answers, claiming to not know everything. The religious think they know all the answers because their religion will often provide some very simple answers to some very complex questions