• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are spiritual matters exempt from rationality?

Orbit

I'm a planet
I have been reading Ken Wilber's "Eye to Eye". In the titular essay, Wilber posits that there are three epistemologies: science, philosophy, and spirituality and that none should be reduced to the other. What he means by this is that science relies on that which can be observed and measured; philosophy deals with the mind and human reason and logic; and the third is religious/spiritual.

What I want to put up for discussion is the idea of the legitimacy of not crossing the boundaries between them. In a way, this formulation was anticipated by St. Thomas Aquinas who said "matters of faith are not subject to proof" meaning that science had no legitimate grounds as the judge for spiritual matters. According to Wilber, the measure of science is the consensus of the scientific community, and the measure of things spiritual is the consensus of the spiritual community.

From where do we actually get our consensus on spiritual matters? Is this separation of epistemologies valid? Thoughts?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not really clear on what Wilber means by "religious/spiritual," nor why there needs to be a consensus for anything other than the sciences (where it is required by nature of the method).

But if his aim is to point out the stupidity of estimating the worth of a painting by analyzing the material value of its pigments, then yes, he's quite correct.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
A problem is that Wilbur violated his own guideline. He continued to insist that there was and is a "cosmic consciousness", which logically would have both spiritual and scientific elements intrinsic to it, and yet he ignores the fact that the scientific community cannot verify this.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I'm not really clear on what Wilber means by "religious/spiritual," nor why there needs to be a consensus for anything other than the sciences (where it is required by nature of the method).

But if his aim is to point out the stupidity of estimating the worth of a painting by analyzing the material value of its pigments, then yes, he's quite correct.

In the essay, he is talking about what constitutes "proof" [my words] for each epistemology. He says that spiritual experience can be verified by comparing notes with others who also have spiritual experiences. I think what you said about the painting is his overall point, however.

Orbit

I'm a planet
A problem is that Wilbur violated his own guideline. He continued to insist that there was and is a "cosmic consciousness", which logically would have both spiritual and scientific elements intrinsic to it, and yet he ignores the fact that the scientific community cannot verify this.

This essay doesn't say anything about cosmic consciousness, so I'm not sure how to respond to this. But his point is that it is not the job of science to verify spiritual experience.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I have been reading Ken Wilber's "Eye to Eye". In the titular essay, Wilber posits that there are three epistemologies: science, philosophy, and spirituality and that none should be reduced to the other. What he means by this is that science relies on that which can be observed and measured; philosophy deals with the mind and human reason and logic; and the third is religious/spiritual.

This third one sounds like a wild card. I am generally not in favour of such.

What I want to put up for discussion is the idea of the legitimacy of not crossing the boundaries between them. In a way, this formulation was anticipated by St. Thomas Aquinas who said "matters of faith are not subject to proof" meaning that science had no legitimate grounds as the judge for spiritual matters. According to Wilber, the measure of science is the consensus of the scientific community, and the measure of things spiritual is the consensus of the spiritual community.

From where do we actually get our consensus on spiritual matters? Is this separation of epistemologies valid? Thoughts?

Just pick up whoever agrees with you, your experiences and your interpretations of said experiences until you feel satisfied. Discard everything else. Simple as that.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
This essay doesn't say anything about cosmic consciousness, so I'm not sure how to respond to this. But his point is that it is not the job of science to verify spiritual experience.
My use of the term "cosmic consciousness" actually was from someone who was a fan of Wilbur that I had extensive discussion with on this several years ago, and that's the terminology that he put forth that we debated. Maybe the essay you read didn't get into that, however.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
As I am thinking about it right now, I am equating science, philosophy, and spirituality with the Hegelian - thesis, antithesis = synthesis. The human experience being observable objective facts of the Universe combined with the subjective perspective of those facts, could lead to a spiritual synthesis. If that makes any sense at all.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That makes sense. If his argument were truly philosophical it should at least be consistent with itself.

the idea of the legitimacy of not crossing the boundaries between them. In a way, this formulation was anticipated by St. Thomas Aquinas who said "matters of faith are not subject to proof" meaning that science had no legitimate grounds as the judge for spiritual matters.
Aquinas was a member of the Dominican Order, and in part I of his Summa he proposed five proofs of God's existence. How does that square with his statement that "Matters of faith are not subject to proof?" We are not under the same constraints as him. We have taken no vows to prove anything, so we have 'Nothing to prove'.

Orbit said:
What he means by this is that science relies on that which can be observed and measured; philosophy deals with the mind and human reason and logic; and the third is religious/spiritual.

What I want to put up for discussion is the idea of the legitimacy of not crossing the boundaries between them.

I can do what Aquinas couldn't: define three atoms: 1. Spiritual = action 2. Philosophical = guessing 3. Observational = experience. Out of these I can construct Religion, Science and Philosophy. Religion = 1 & 2. Philosophy = 2 & 3. Science = 3 & 2, since Science is an outgrowth of Philosophy. What is there to keep me from doing that other than Aquinas objections? I can defend any of my three definitions or the mixtures, because I don't have to prove the existence of God.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I developed my spiritual, philosophical and scientific thoughts side by side. And as I learn more the whole mass evolves and changes. I see reincarnation in terms of thermo-dynamics, the soul in regards to energy, magick in regards to frequencies, etc.

"Religion without science is lame, and science without religion is blind" -Albert Einstein.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
The most troubling thing with all of this is the fact that science is apart of philosophy. It is actually a branch of philosophies and is a philosophy in of itself.
I don't see how this can't be understood

ebgebg

Science is the obsevation of nature, and math is the explanation of that observation. Does Science have an exclusive right to the "truth". What about testimony...isn't that valid to a person's own judgement as to what is true? Is the judgement of truth based solely on what can be quantified?

Philosophy seeks the truth... Christians find the "objective" truth throught the bible, justs like many atheist find "truth" objectively through the philosophy of Kant. Christianity isn't just a "blind faith" arguement, or an expectation of God to sprinkle some "magic powder" on them to give them truth. Just like studing phylosopher's like Kant, Christianity study the Bible to seek by reason and contemplation upon what is "truth" through Jesus

Is morality ever really subjective. Does not society objectively tell us what is "right" or "wrong". No Citizen in society is really free to decide what is right or wrong. Crime and punishment exist because of the objective moral standards of society.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Science is the obsevation of nature, and math is the explanation of that observation. Does Science have an exclusive right to the "truth".
Science isn't a person and doesn't have rights. People have rights. Science is more than observation of nature, and Math is much more than just something to interpret Science with. Science is a set of rules and guidelins and requires observational honesty but also procedural honesty, submission to the opinions of other scientists; and it cannot propose ideas that are not suggested by natural occurrences.
Philosophy seeks the truth...
Philosophy seeks to explain nature, and that is why Science is a branch of it.
Christians find the "objective" truth throught the bible, justs like many atheist find "truth" objectively through the philosophy of Kant. Christianity isn't just a "blind faith" arguement, or an expectation of God to sprinkle some "magic powder" on them to give them truth. Just like studing phylosopher's like Kant, Christianity study the Bible to seek by reason and contemplation upon what is "truth" through Jesus
Its totally different. Christians do not study the Bible to seek by reason and contemplation upon what is truth in the same way as Philosophers or Scientists. Christians may quote the Bible and may believe in the Bible or may reason about what the Bible means, but it is nothing like Philosophy or Science. Science does not begin with an acceptance of invisible things but grows from scepticism and acceptance only of what is observable, repeatable. Science helps people make new physical discoveries. Philosophy (and Math) helps to explain nature but is based on thought experiments not physical experiments. A Philosopher tends to try to explain social issues rather than physics or celestial mechanics. They focus on how people should live based upon what can be understood about people and focus on what can be known in an abstract way. This is very different from a Bible study.
Is morality ever really subjective. Does not society objectively tell us what is "right" or "wrong".
Not at all, because society will give you different answers at different times and in different places. Neither a subjective morality nor an absolute morality should be taken to extremes. Extremely subjective morality is none at all, but extreme absolute morality is cruel and destroys those governed by it.
No Citizen in society is really free to decide what is right or wrong. Crime and punishment exist because of the objective moral standards of society.
The truth about this is not black & white but a grey that doesn't lend itself to logic. Every citizen must be free to decide what is right or wrong, yet society must also decide. Sometimes what is right becomes wrong when the situation changes or vice versa. Appearances also don't always lend themselves to the purpose of morality, and sometimes a thing can be both right and wrong.

ebgebg

Science isn't a person and doesn't have rights. People have rights. Science is more than observation of nature, and Math is much more than just something to interpret Science with. Science is a set of rules and guidelins and requires observational honesty but also procedural honesty, submission to the opinions of other scientists; and it cannot propose ideas that are not suggested by natural occurrences.

Philosophy seeks to explain nature, and that is why Science is a branch of it.

Its totally different. Christians do not study the Bible to seek by reason and contemplation upon what is truth in the same way as Philosophers or Scientists. Christians may quote the Bible and may believe in the Bible or may reason about what the Bible means, but it is nothing like Philosophy or Science. Science does not begin with an acceptance of invisible things but grows from scepticism and acceptance only of what is observable, repeatable. Science helps people make new physical discoveries. Philosophy (and Math) helps to explain nature but is based on thought experiments not physical experiments. A Philosopher tends to try to explain social issues rather than physics or celestial mechanics. They focus on how people should live based upon what can be understood about people and focus on what can be known in an abstract way. This is very different from a Bible study.
Not at all, because society will give you different answers at different times and in different places. Neither a subjective morality nor an absolute morality should be taken to extremes. Extremely subjective morality is none at all, but extreme absolute morality is cruel and destroys those governed by it.
The truth about this is not black & white but a grey that doesn't lend itself to logic. Every citizen must be free to decide what is right or wrong, yet society must also decide. Sometimes what is right becomes wrong when the situation changes or vice versa. Appearances also don't always lend themselves to the purpose of morality, and sometimes a thing can be both right and wrong.

There is alot to address in your reply...and addressing it piecemeal would be difficult.

Thats first talk about the subject of what is "Christian Proof " for God:

Christianity accepts the person Jesus as being God. There is a difference in denying Jesus ever existed, and Jesus being described as an "invisible" entity in the Bible. Jesus then is the explanation of God that man can understand. You said that Christians start their premise on "truth" by first accepting the "invisible." That's not true...Christians accept Jesus Christ as an historic figure of the incarnation of God in flesh to verify the other parts of the bible as true.

Christians find the acceptance of God's existance through tangable events of the Bible starting with the life of Jesus Christ. Let's talk about Jesus walking on water? How much Scepticism do you think exist concerning this event? There is no pictures or goverment officials verifing this event. The only record of Jesus walking on water is by scripture. But is testimony or hearsay acceptable; is it not a matter of once's judgement of what is to accepted? Who's to rule what is acceptable evidence? what court of law do I subject my reasoning? The Bible is not a text book about the physical mechanics of the Universe. Its a biographical epic of Jesus Christ from beginning to end. How do you quantify that? Does Science have an exclusionary hold on what is acceptable as evidence. Isn't there also documentation evidence, expert testimony, hearsay, eyewitness, circumstantal evidence, indirect, direct...(personally, I do not accept new world creationism, I find it a reckless attempt to discredit science...As a old world creationist, I embrace science and do not see the bible and Science in contradiction)?

I differ with you in that math is not part of phylosophy; math is the explanation of science which science is the observation of nature. Math is a tangable measurement...take for example 1 +1=2. You can't really proof that 1+1 =2 . 1+1=2 is an axiom of truth by QED (Proof by exhaustion). It just happens over and over again in measurements that we accept the probility of it's certainty as being "true". Just as I reason the Bible...I find the probability of different events of the Bible as being true that I accept the certainty of God's existence.

That's talk about Adam and Eve. What have the Skeptics say about that event? New world creationist claim the World was created Six thousands years ago...I DON'T accept that view. I'm an old world creationist. But, 6 thousands years ago is the Archeology timeline of the beginning of Agriculture. Exactly the time the Biblical God cursed Adam "to toil the soil". The beginning of Agriculture and the Biblical God's Curse upon Adam correlates in time. Strange? Coinicidence?

There other events of creation that can be corralated with scientific findings.

Take for example day six creation (what is the duration of a day of creation in Genisis; a million years, a billion...its not measured by celestial time because the stars were not created till day 4?): God blesses Adam and Eve to be fruitful and muliple and populate the earth. They are still in the garden of Eden? Is this the time of the emergence of man as dicovered by anthropology...I think 1,000,000 years ago?

Day five: revelation of evolution of living creatures (except man),

Before day 4: God creates light Four times...these events does not corralates the big bang theory?

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Christianity accepts the person Jesus as being God. There is a difference in denying Jesus ever existed, and Jesus being described as an "invisible" entity in the Bible.
I grok that, but Philosophy is completely different. Philosophy examines what is and tries to explain it. Christianity does not do that. They are so very different. Philosophy does not start out accepting anything. It is not a question of denying anything. This is just disagreement with your comparison between Christianity and Philosophy, because they are not similar.
Christians find the acceptance of God's existance through tangable events of the Bible starting with the life of Jesus Christ. Let's talk about Jesus walking on water? How much Scepticism do you think exist concerning this event? There is no pictures or goverment officials verifing this event. The only record of Jesus walking on water is by scripture. But is testimony or hearsay acceptable; is it not a matter of once's judgement of what is to accepted?
This has zero in common with Philosophy.
Who's to rule what is acceptable evidence?
That is not related to whether Christianity is philosophy or not. If you are a Christian then you accept certain things on trust, but Philosophy doesn't work that way. Philosophy attempts to build a system of knowledge grown from the tiny seed of what you can know by yourself. Its statements are in an 'If --> then' format for that reason. It tries to answer the question "How can I expand the knowledge I have into more knowledge?" Some people attempt to use Philosophy to detect attributes of God or the existence of God. That is Philosophy as long as they begin with what is directly known, not with accepted beliefs about God or about things that cannot be verified. Christianity, the belief system, is not a Philosophy. It doesn't start out with almost no knowledge and build up a system of truth but starts out with a set of already formed truths.
I differ with you in that math is not part of phylosophy; math is the explanation of science which science is the observation of nature.
Pure Mathematics as we have it today (with induction) was invented by Philosophers. They discussed and thought through how to build a system of knowledge about numbers from very few axioms. That is has practical use is convenient, but Math has a Philosophical basis. Mathematicians avoid relying upon intuition for the reason that they want a system that is consistent, and they do it because Math and Philosophy are about teaching how to see truth for yourself without having to accept it from someone else.
Does Science have an exclusionary hold on what is acceptable as evidence. Isn't there also documentation evidence, expert testimony, hearsay, eyewitness, circumstantal evidence, indirect, direct...(personally, I do not accept new world creationism, I find it a reckless attempt to discredit science...As a old world creationist, I embrace science and do not see the bible and Science in contradiction)?
That is a little off topic from what you were talking about before. The implementation of Scientific Method has a lot to do with freedom, with freedom of religion to protect not just Christianity but the sanctity of thought. It is very far from being in conflict with the Bible but rather protects the freedom to think, although any statement in the Bible about creation is not scientific whether or not it is true. It just isn't a Science book. The essence of the Scientific Method excludes the use of the Bible in formulating any hypothesis about creation, because hypothesis may only be driven by the need to explain observations. Science does not accept testimony the way that History does. For example despite stories of giant squids, Scientists could not assume that there were giant squids until they could get samples and photos of them; because the rules of Science forbade that. The spirit of the search for knowledge from knowledge alone also forbids it.
That's talk about Adam and Eve. What have the Skeptics say about that event? New world creationist claim the World was created Six thousands years ago...I DON'T accept that view. I'm an old world creationist. But, 6 thousands years ago is the Archeology timeline of the beginning of Agriculture. Exactly the time the Biblical God cursed Adam "to toil the soil". The beginning of Agriculture and the Biblical God's Curse upon Adam correlates in time. Strange? Coinicidence?
It is important that you are allowed to think and also empowered to do so. From youth it is important to develop critical thinking skills and the ability to reason. Sometimes governments and enslavers try to prevent that. Scientific Method is not about excluding knowledge but sets out rules for what can be allowed as evidence, and it only allows observable, repeatable or otherwise verifiable evidence. Its a tool to help develop thinking skills not a ball & chain.
Before day 4: God creates light Four times...these events does not corralates the big bang theory?
The Big Bang Theory was proposed strictly because of telescope observations by Dr. Hubble. He was able to measure the relative velocities of the stars and he shows that the stars are spreading out. This provoked a need to explain why the stars were spreading apart instead of just going every-which way. The resulting hypothesis later became regarded as a theory, that all things in the universe very likely came from a single point of origin. It cannot be corroborated by the Bible in a Scientific way. That goes against the concept of Scientific Method. The Bible can be correct but cannot contribute scientifically. It is important that Scientific Method be taught without accepting input from non-scientific sources, because it is about learning to build new knowledge from old. It requires the discipline of not accepting anything that cannot be confirmed, observed, repeated etc.

ebgebg

I grok that, but Philosophy is completely different. Philosophy examines what is and tries to explain it. Christianity does not do that. They are so very different. Philosophy does not start out accepting anything. It is not a question of denying anything. This is just disagreement with your comparison between Christianity and Philosophy, because they are not similar.

This has zero in common with Philosophy.

That is not related to whether Christianity is philosophy or not. If you are a Christian then you accept certain things on trust, but Philosophy doesn't work that way. Philosophy attempts to build a system of knowledge grown from the tiny seed of what you can know by yourself. Its statements are in an 'If --> then' format for that reason. It tries to answer the question "How can I expand the knowledge I have into more knowledge?" Some people attempt to use Philosophy to detect attributes of God or the existence of God. That is Philosophy as long as they begin with what is directly known, not with accepted beliefs about God or about things that cannot be verified. Christianity, the belief system, is not a Philosophy. It doesn't start out with almost no knowledge and build up a system of truth but starts out with a set of already formed truths.
Pure Mathematics as we have it today (with induction) was invented by Philosophers. They discussed and thought through how to build a system of knowledge about numbers from very few axioms. That is has practical use is convenient, but Math has a Philosophical basis. Mathematicians avoid relying upon intuition for the reason that they want a system that is consistent, and they do it because Math and Philosophy are about teaching how to see truth for yourself without having to accept it from someone else.
That is a little off topic from what you were talking about before. The implementation of Scientific Method has a lot to do with freedom, with freedom of religion to protect not just Christianity but the sanctity of thought. It is very far from being in conflict with the Bible but rather protects the freedom to think, although any statement in the Bible about creation is not scientific whether or not it is true. It just isn't a Science book. The essence of the Scientific Method excludes the use of the Bible in formulating any hypothesis about creation, because hypothesis may only be driven by the need to explain observations. Science does not accept testimony the way that History does. For example despite stories of giant squids, Scientists could not assume that there were giant squids until they could get samples and photos of them; because the rules of Science forbade that. The spirit of the search for knowledge from knowledge alone also forbids it.
It is important that you are allowed to think and also empowered to do so. From youth it is important to develop critical thinking skills and the ability to reason. Sometimes governments and enslavers try to prevent that. Scientific Method is not about excluding knowledge but sets out rules for what can be allowed as evidence, and it only allows observable, repeatable or otherwise verifiable evidence. Its a tool to help develop thinking skills not a ball & chain.

The Big Bang Theory was proposed strictly because of telescope observations by Dr. Hubble. He was able to measure the relative velocities of the stars and he shows that the stars are spreading out. This provoked a need to explain why the stars were spreading apart instead of just going every-which way. The resulting hypothesis later became regarded as a theory, that all things in the universe very likely came from a single point of origin. It cannot be corroborated by the Bible in a Scientific way. That goes against the concept of Scientific Method. The Bible can be correct but cannot contribute scientifically. It is important that Scientific Method be taught without accepting input from non-scientific sources, because it is about learning to build new knowledge from old. It requires the discipline of not accepting anything that cannot be confirmed, observed, repeated etc.

Let me ask you something...Have you ever had a brother or sister or friend that all evidence pointed to there guilt, and they came to you and pleaded with you as to their innocence? Perfectly clear by the evidence that they were guilty, yet the pleaded with you to believe them that they did not do it? Did you not once say to anyone "o.k.,... I believe you", or did you say "It requires the discipline of not accepting anything that cannot be confirmed, observed, repeated?" We're talking trust here, and how do you quantify trust? How can you every defend yourself in trusting in only the word of anyone if the "Scientific Method is not about excluding knowledge but sets out rules for what can be allowed as evidence, and it only allows observable, repeatable or otherwise verifiable evidence." How many times is the words "verify, verify" repeated by Jesus in the Bible?

The Bible is not a textbook. Sure, it has synaposis as to the order of things, but it's not of "how I did it" book. It's a book of Jesus Christ relationship with man. And how do you quantify that? It's not that the bible will give scientific answers, but that's incorrect to assume the bible is a statement contrary to scientific answers.

No one starts out with no Knowledge...philosophy is an analysis as to what is the Truth from already formulated opinions and observations. Your "tiny seed" of what you can know by yourself has already been corrupted by your circumstances and experiences. For example, Is capital punishment a good thing? How are you going to define the morality of capital punishment without bias? Even in philosophy, a person seeks the "truth" from outside sources.

Math in greek time was a religion like Pythagoras...numerology at its purist. But our modern numeral symbols basically comes from Hindu-Arabic culture because of the failure of Greek phylosophers to define a method of computation. How then in math do we distingush the abstract from the procedure? Is math viable in the abstract or only as a tool to measure? Does math define thought, or does thought define math. If math defines thought, then why did the greeks fail in their religion of numerology in explaining the purpose of life?

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Let me ask you something...Have you ever had a brother or sister or friend that all evidence pointed to there guilt, and they came to you and pleaded with you as to their innocence? Perfectly clear by the evidence that they were guilty, yet the pleaded with you to believe them that they did not do it? Did you not once say to anyone "o.k.,... I believe you", or did you say "It requires the discipline of not accepting anything that cannot be confirmed, observed, repeated?" We're talking trust here, and how do you quantify trust? How can you every defend yourself in trusting in only the word of anyone if the "Scientific Method is not about excluding knowledge but sets out rules for what can be allowed as evidence, and it only allows observable, repeatable or otherwise verifiable evidence." How many times is the words "verify, verify" repeated by Jesus in the Bible?
We are getting back towards the topic of "Are spiritual matters exempt from rationality?" This is better, because I cannot compare Science with Christianity nor the Philosophies with the Christianities. If we are talking about trust it is qualitative. It is rational to trust people whom you deem trustworthy, or its as rational as is possible for human beings.

The Bible is not a textbook. Sure, it has synaposis as to the order of things, but it's not of "how I did it" book. It's a book of Jesus Christ relationship with man. And how do you quantify that? It's not that the bible will give scientific answers, but that's incorrect to assume the bible is a statement contrary to scientific answers.
I don't think that is an issue. Scientific answers are unrelated to Bible answers, specifically for the purpose of excluding ecclesiastic authority from the Scientific process. Science is like when you look at something green and you say "That is green." The modern scientific community arose partly because of Christians of many different kinds. They all saw the need for looking at things with a fresh eye and not beholden to how some authority said things ought to be. That includes Roman Catholics and Protestants, and the thing that greatly helped Scientific Method become a reality was the insistence that God's creation was good. At the same time the Scientific Method must be kept independent of the input from ministers, who are by no means innocent men and women. As you have noticed there are many who would try and make the Earth be under 10,000 years of age. I've read some of their bunk, and bunk it is. Their input cannot be trusted, but more generally ecclesiastic input should always be excluded no matter if it is right or wrong -- whether it appears to coincide with observational and rational discovery or not. No matter what is means by "Circle of the Earth" in the Bible, Scientists should proceed based upon observations alone. They must, because otherwise politicians and ecclesiastics of all kinds would destroy the process of discovery.
No one starts out with no Knowledge...philosophy is an analysis as to what is the Truth from already formulated opinions and observations. Your "tiny seed" of what you can know by yourself has already been corrupted by your circumstances and experiences. For example, Is capital punishment a good thing? How are you going to define the morality of capital punishment without bias? Even in philosophy, a person seeks the "truth" from outside sources.
Phillosophy is a large and branched subject. Some Philosophies are better than others. Philosophies (yes plural) interest many people and are full of gifts for those who are interested in studying them. The question of capital punishment is part of a branch called 'Ethics', and its is the least Philosophical branch (I think). A Philosophy student and a religious student are two very different things. The book Proverbs in the Bible is philosophical in nature, making observations about nature and causing the reader to extract lessons from those, but it also applies the experiences of the author. In that it is not philosophic, since it is not referring you to your own experiences or conclusions. The Philosopher seeks to provide a method of questioning that enables all students to reach conclusions for themselves, and usually it is very different from Bible study. The Bible typically gives you conclusions (like in Paul's epistles), and then you seek to understand the conclusions. It gives you Genesis, and then you try to understand Genesis with exegesis.
Math in greek time was a religion like Pythagoras...numerology at its purist. But our modern numeral symbols basically comes from Hindu-Arabic culture because of the failure of Greek phylosophers to define a method of computation. How then in math do we distingush the abstract from the procedure? Is math viable in the abstract or only as a tool to measure? Does math define thought, or does thought define math. If math defines thought, then why did the greeks fail in their religion of numerology in explaining the purpose of life?
When you say "Pure Mathematics" you are talking about un-applied Math. There are many people who study what can be known through Math, and they are Pure Mathematicians. Often their materials never find any useful purpose in real life. Others work with Math that is already useful and try to extend it, and this is called "Applied Mathematics." The answer to your question is being pursued in both directions.
How then in math do we distingush the abstract from the procedure?
Numerology is unacceptable in what we call 'Math' today. Procedures are always questionable as are people. Mathematicians make models that try to make observations about the number line, and they refine their procedures. They submit their work to the opinions of others, publicly not in the secret way of the Pythagorean. They accept criticism, completely unlike the Pythagoreans. A Mathematician who does not accept criticism and will not allow others to see his or her work, that is no Mathematician.