• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there any problems with evolution?

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
I want to ask creationists what problems you find with the theory of evolution, then I will make topics about these problems. We can also discuss these problems if you want.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It strikes me as being an inane question. I suspect that for the overwhelming majority of creationists the problem lies in the belief that evolution conflicts (undermines) scripture interpreted literally and held to be infallible.

By the way, "Natural Rationalism" works better the other way around (to the extent that it works at all).

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I'm going to have to agree with Jay... It's seen as somehow denying gods power to have him work through natural mechanisms. And it supposedly makes humans less worthy than if we are the divine sculptures of God.

wa:do

zebraone

For the grand unifying theory of biology and medicine that it is...The only problem I see is that it isn't given the focus and attention it deserves in our high school education system.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The main problem with evolution is that creationists aren't capable of understanding it. I suppose you could say that this is a problem with creationists, but I'm feeling generous to the intellectually impoverished today.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
The main problem with evolution is that creationists aren't capable of understanding it. I suppose you could say that this is a problem with creationists, but I'm feeling generous to the intellectually impoverished today.
I like how you strike just the right note of condescension. :D

johnhanks

Where do I begin? :faint:
Unsurprising that you're still wondering that, having not so much as laid a glove on ToE in 2500-odd posts.

Reading creationists' critiques of evolution is like watching a bunch of people trying to erode away Everest by whipping it with strands of cooked spaghetti.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Hmm ones I normaly here…monkey to a man(ntot what we state)
Things like the eye
not enough time
Gaps in the fossil record
etc

These are commen used arguments

nnmartin

I have no problem with theory of evolution itself yet I believe there are higher powers beyond the realm of science that are guiding it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I have no problem with theory of evolution itself yet I believe there are higher powers beyond the realm of science that are guiding it.

Exactly. Too many people think that the concept of god and the theory of evolution are somehow mutually exclusive. The problem is that too many people can't seem to see beyond the grunts and scratchings of ancient primitives.

nnmartin

Agreed.

It is quite possbible to have Genesis from the Bible and TOE at the same time.

The guiding principle of Evolution could just as easily be God, unknown science or perhaps not even exist .

Could even be all 3 at the same time.

nnmartin

It would certainly allow for the blending of the two.

I remember one part of Genesis saying something like 'and God created man from a speck of dust' - that could be the Abiogenesis.

Krok

It would certainly allow for the blending of the two.

I remember one part of Genesis saying something like 'and God created man from a speck of dust' - that could be the Abiogenesis.
You'd have a problem with explaining god creating woman from one of man's a ribs, though. ;)

nnmartin

..The Lord God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man. The man said, “This is now bone of my bones, And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.”

I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable theological explanation for this.

But the way I see it , Genesis is purely allegorical and metaphysical anyway - so the concept of time and space in the usual sense is not really needed. Therfore, the Garden of Eden was most likely on another plane of existence outside the parameters of Science.

Krok

..The Lord God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man. The man said, “This is now bone of my bones, And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.”

I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable theological explanation for this.
I'm sure there will be some kind of wishful thinking to try and explain this away. I don't think it will be reasonable, though.:no:

But the way I see it , Genesis is purely allegorical and metaphysical anyway - so the concept of time and space in the usual sense is not really needed.
You mean, magic?

Therfore, the Garden of Eden was most likely on another plane of existence outside the parameters of Science.
So you are referring to magic, then. Before you go to far into that direction; remember that Science can, and will, investigate claims on magic interfering with "our plane of existence" (whatever that means).

nnmartin

It's magic , religion or abstract philosophy - whatever you choose to call it.

but it's beyond science - no point in trying to prove it.

I guess you are either a religious person or not.

Religion shouldn't enter science and science shouldn't enter religion - they just don't really mix and I can't see any reason why they need to.

Saying that I believe in both at the same time yet keep them in separate compartments.

Last edited: