• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you able to say 'No' ?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Are you able to say No, when people ask you for a favour ? - at least are you able to say "Now is not really convenient, perhaps this afternoon........?".

When someone asks me a favour, I usually drop everything, dash over to sort them out. This isn't a good practice, because a) people tend to expect you to always react that way, and b) because (psychologically) if you act in this way, it means that there can often be a bit of resentment (even if it is sub-conscious) as in, "Oh, I'll just have to leave this job, and come back to it later, what a pain"...........

There is a belief that until you learn how to say 'No' (and be comfortable saying it) that you will never get any pleasure from saying 'Yes'. Do you think this is true ?, and are you an 'I can't say no' type of person ?

Kowalski

I enjoy saying 'No' to people who try and bum **** off me in town. I don'y get asked for favours these days, but the ability to say No is an asset at times.

K

Mike182

Flaming Queer
drekmed said:
just for the record, in england a *** is slang for cigarette, before people start getting offended
oh england, how i doth but love thee :rolleyes:

it depends who it is, if my manager phones me from work, i can very easily say "no" but if its a good friend, then i would probably say yes

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
Not being racist, but I live in a town wehere many aboriginals set themselves up at various
locations and constantly ask passerbyes for cigarettes or money. You're damned if you do,
damned if you don't. You say no, they get argumentative. You say yes, and instantly three or
four others will "appear" and ask the same.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I thought about answering this with a simple 'no', but figured that wouldn't cut it, hehee. So, no, I can't say no very easily. I dislike conflict, and tend to worry too much about other people's opinions of me, so I wind up getting pulled into stuff I don't want to do if I don't have all my mental 'checks' in place.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't have a problem saying No, but I do like it when I'm in a position to say Yes to a reasonable request. I guess that's because I enjoy helping people.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I dont have a problem either way.
But if they put on me too much and chase me up when I have said I will do something, it will take even longer.
Once I have agreed to something I always do it..

Terry_________________________--
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I often make myself say no to people's requests of me. My natural impulse is to say yes, unfortunately i have seen what it can do to someone who 'can't say no', my brother being such a person.

It ends up being very stressful for him, and often involves him missing out on something that he really enjoys to help out someone else who more often than not is ungrateful, he's taken advantage of basically.

Aqualung

Tasty
I don't know. People tend not to ask me for something that I wish I could say no to. Most people's requests are very reasonable and I don't mind saying yes.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
If it's something that doesn't inconveniece me I'll almost always do it. Even if it does, I usually try to say yes to be polite.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
michel said:
Are you able to say No, when people ask you for a favour ? - at least are you able to say "Now is not really convenient, perhaps this afternoon........?".

Yes. I didn't used to be able to, but now that I can, "no" is one of the secrets to my happiness. When you are willing to say "no", "yes" means a lot more. However, once you've learned to say know, you better make your "yes" ring true.

I am not a very polite person. But I am direct and honest.

motoman

michel said:

When someone asks me a favour, I usually drop everything, dash over to sort them out. This isn't a good practice, because a) people tend to expect you to always react that way, and b) because (psychologically) if you act in this way, it means that there can often be a bit of resentment (even if it is sub-conscious) as in, "Oh, I'll just have to leave this job, and come back to it later, what a pain"...........

There is a belief that until you learn how to say 'No' (and be comfortable saying it) that you will never get any pleasure from saying 'Yes'. Do you think this is true ?, and are you an 'I can't say no' type of person ?
Yep, that happens to me. I say Yes way to often and put myself in a situation I don't want to be in :( Ex. I'm nice enough to give someone $5.00 for gas only to find out they blew it on ****, ROFL. Other people have said in this thread "if you drop everything and say yes all the time you will resent that person".

That is the truth I went out of my way to help a friend of mine and I told him to call anytime. What a mistake that was Knockout

Now he calls all the time and I feel bad because I never answer the phone when his ID shows up because I don't want to be dragged into his problems. O'man gotta love people who take things outta context!