• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you dreaming?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
How do you know that at this moment in time, that you are not dreaming? That your not really reading this post, and that in reality, I don't exist? When you are dreaming, you are usually not aware of it being a dream....

Aqualung

Tasty
jgallandt said:
How do you know that at this moment in time, that you are not dreaming? That your not really reading this post, and that in reality, I don't exist? When you are dreaming, you are usually not aware of it being a dream....
I think about that sometimes. Then my head starts hurting, so I stop. :D

Flappycat

jgallandt said:
Solipsism can be entertaining, but that's about the extent of its instrumentality.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Flappycat said:
Solipsism can be entertaining, but that's about the extent of its instrumentality.
That's presuming that you are not dreaming.... But if you are dreaming, then it becomes more then just 'entertaining', it becomes an un-reality. :eek:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jgallandt said:
That's funny. When I was a teenager, I used to tell my two best friends that I was dreaming and that they didn't really exist except in my mind. It about drove them nuts!

Bishka

Veteran Member
Aqualung said:
I think about that sometimes. Then my head starts hurting, so I stop. :D
Same, here, I think about it and then I drive myself crazy thinking about it.

Flappycat

jgallandt said:
That's presuming that you are not dreaming.... But if you are dreaming, then it becomes more then just 'entertaining', it becomes an un-reality. :eek:
Unverifiable and not practically useful. Besides, I'm really something of a compulsive agnostic. I'm not really entirely sure that I exist at all, but, lacking anything else, I humor my senses and perception and just ride easy.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Flappycat said:
Unverifiable and not practically useful. Besides, I'm really something of a compulsive agnostic. I'm not really entirely sure that I exist at all, but, lacking anything else, I humor my senses and perception and just ride easy.
Why does it have to be useful? Why can't something just be fun to think about? And what does religion, or lack of have anything to do with it? :D

Flappycat

jgallandt said:
Why does it have to be useful? Why can't something just be fun to think about?
That's what I said.

And what does religion, or lack of have anything to do with it? :D
Agnosticism has nothing directly to do with religion. I was using the word in its appropriate context. I was serious.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Flappycat said:
That's what I said.

Agnosticism has nothing directly to do with religion. I was using the word in its appropriate context. I was serious.
The post had nothing to with religion, or a lack of. Everyone else understood it for what it was... I think I must be dreaming.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
jgallandt said:
hehehehehe, whenever i think like this, i sit and read descartes :D i know, im a nerd, but im a well-read nerd :biglaugh:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is hardly a novel question. Half the world believes exactly this.That we are dreaming our world, that our reality is entirely subjective is the core belief underlying the "eastern" religions.
The goal of most Hindus or Buddhists is not an idealized afterdeath paradise, but to wake up.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
There are 2 aspects to view this as. One, as everything is a dream, or, when you go so sleep, you sometimes dream, and are you dreaming right now in your bed?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Seyorni said:
This is hardly a novel question. Half the world believes exactly this.That we are dreaming our world, that our reality is entirely subjective is the core belief underlying the "eastern" religions.
The goal of most Hindus or Buddhists is not an idealized afterdeath paradise, but to wake up.

ahh, the voice of reason.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Have you ever had a dream that seemed real? My wife told me tonight, while discussing this thread, that when she was young, she used to have the same dream over and over again, where someone handed her something.... She would wake with her fist clinched, afraid to open her hand... But when she did, her hand was empty.

FFH

Veteran Member
I have a recurring dream in which I am breathing under water. Maybe even cooler than a recurring flying dream. Usually in both cases faith is involved. Maybe I have an aqua lung. I wonder where Aqualung borrowed this name from.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
jgallandt said:
There are 2 aspects to view this as. One, as everything is a dream, or, when you go so sleep, you sometimes dream, and are you dreaming right now in your bed?
The seemingly whimsical notion that we all may be dreaming is actually one of supreme philosophical import, as it constitutes the essential divide between the Eastern and Western religions.

We "ordinary people" experience three levels of consciousness: 1 -- Deep sleep, 2 -- REM (dreaming) sleep and 3 -- waking state.
2 and 3 are subjective, dream states. Both are physically impossible, ie: violate the known laws of physics. Our ordinary consciousness really is a dream. Matrix-like, we are dreaming our world.
Reality is perceived only in the "higher" states of consciousness -- 5th, 6th and 7th, when we wake up from 3rd state and experience the real, multidimensional, objective universe.

Pah

Uber all member
There was a time when I frequently dreamed of reading posts and sometimes had to come to the keyboard to see that it was indeed a dream or needed an answer or mod action.