• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you with UN "global" law prohibition the provocation "mock/insult/lie", about all religions ?

are you with UN "global" law prohibition the "mock/insult/lie" about all religio

• Total voters

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
i heard in the news that some countries will goes to UN to establish new LAW , about ban provocation against all religions .

notice :
as i considerate "mock/insult/lie" as attack
against other beliefs ,it's not forcely mean it's prohibition the debate or discuss other religions .

please vote and describe your opinion " why you vote with or against "

for me :
i voted , with law of prohibition , because i found that some people use the freedom of speech, for me the freedom of speech was used by some people to encourage the hate and racism ....etc

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah, I saw that in the news.
Put me down for opposing UN regulation of speech.
I need to mock religions....especially those filthy Bokononists! (They're so smugly peaceful.)

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
It'd make RF a hell of a less interesting place. :D

it's not about debate , the laws in this RF don't allow insult or mock or lie about religions
which mean it's correspond the LAW :p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
it's not about debate , the laws in this RF don't allow insult or mock or lie about religions....
We sure seem to get away with it a lot.
I'd hate to see that change because of the prospect of blue jack boots kicking down my door.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
i heard in the news that some countries will goes to UN to establish new LAW , about ban provocation against all religions .

notice :
against other beliefs ,it's not forcely mean it's prohibition the debate or discuss other religions .

for me :
i voted , with law of prohibition , because i found that some people use the freedom of speech, for me the freedom of speech was used by some people to encourage the hate and racism ....etc

I find it amusing that the UN would sanction such a law when some religious books threaten eternal torture to others of a different belief or non belief so i would oppose the UN,unless of course the offending parts of these books were removed too,it would have the benefit of making them pocket sized :D.

robo

notice :

for me :

Hmm...There are certain religions out there that provoke people of other religions - for instance by saying that all people of other religions will be burned in eternal hellfire by the one true God. Will the UN ban cover such provocative books as well?

robo

I find it amusing that the UN would sanction such a law when some religious books threaten eternal torture to others of a different belief or non belief so i would oppose the UN,unless of course the offending parts of these books were removed too,it would have the benefit of making them pocket sized :D.

Ahh...I hadnt read this gem from Eml.

:bow:

Alceste

Vagabond
I would support a resolution against hate speech, but you'd have to include homosexuals. Somehow I don't think the religious members would go for that.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I would support a resolution against hate speech, but you'd have to include homosexuals. Somehow I don't think the religious members would go for that.
I'd need to see the technicalities of what qualified, myself.

And yeah, the whole issue of who can say what inevitably turns hypocritical.

I realize it's mostly cultural paradigm talking, but I think the US approach is ideal for once: it's illegal when it causes objective damages, be that lost wages or physical violence. "You hurt my feelings" need not apply.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I am religious and strongly oppose. We need to protect speech that we dislike, otherwise freedom of speech is meaningless (not that is to a certain extent, if the speech is actually damaging).

Alceste

Vagabond
I'd need to see the technicalities of what qualified, myself.

And yeah, the whole issue of who can say what inevitably turns hypocritical.

I realize it's mostly cultural paradigm talking, but I think the US approach is ideal for once: it's illegal when it causes objective damages, be that lost wages or physical violence. "You hurt my feelings" need not apply.

Yes, the Canadian hate speech laws are as far as I think any should go. They protect people of any religion, ethnicity, age, ability, gender or sexual orientation from speech directly advocating violence against them. I think that opens a can of worms when many of the countries calling for the law still execute homosexuals and apostates.

My opinion is that it's an outrageous demand: "it's OK for us to murder you for who you are, but you're not allowed to laugh at us for what we believe."

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yes, the Canadian hate speech laws are as far as I think any should go. They protect people of any religion, ethnicity, age, ability, gender or sexual orientation from speech directly advocating violence against them. I think that opens a can of worms when many of the countries calling for the law still execute homosexuals and apostates.
Totally on board with that.

My opinion is that it's an outrageous demand: "it's OK for us to murder you for who you are, but you're not allowed to laugh at us for what we believe."
Uh huh.

Alceste

Vagabond
I should point out that the UN would not be passing a "law". I think it would be a declaration of rights, which would then be ratified by any countries that wished to implement it, and each country who choose to ratify it would then draft their own legislation. There would be no enforcement except by individual states. It's more of a symbolic achievement than anything else, since western states would never ratify it. It does force the UN to take a stand on the issue, though, and I hope they choose wisely.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

notice :

for me :
This has got to be one of the most asinine laws ever thought up.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I should point out that the UN would not be passing a "law". I think it would be a declaration of rights, which would then be ratified by any countries that wished to implement it, and each country who choose to ratify it would then draft their own legislation. There would be no enforcement except by individual states. It's more of a symbolic achievement than anything else, since western states would never ratify it. It does force the UN to take a stand on the issue, though, and I hope they choose wisely.
One wonders how they propose to enforce said "you have the right to never be offended" law and what punishment(s) they think should be applied.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I would be interested in knowing who is pushing for this law and why they think there should be laws to protect their weak faith in their own beliefs.