• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ark. Judge Voids Ban on Gay Foster Parents

Pah

Uber all member
Ark. Judge Voids Ban on Gay Foster Parents

Updated 8:17 PM ET December 29, 2004

Complete article here

By DAVID HAMMER

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - An Arkansas judge Wednesday declared unconstitutional a state ban on placing foster children in any household with a gay member.

Ruling in a case brought by the Arkansas chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, Pulaski County Circuit Judge Timothy Fox said the state Child Welfare Agency Review board had overstepped its authority by trying to regulate "public morality."

At issue was a 1999 board regulation that said gays cannot become foster parents, and foster children cannot be placed in any home with a gay member under its roof.

The ACLU had argued that the regulation violates the equal-protection rights of gays. But the judge's ruling did not turn on that argument.

Instead, Fox noted that the Arkansas Legislature gave the child-welfare board the power to "promote the health, safety and welfare of children," but the ban does not accomplish that. Rather, he said the regulation seeks to regulate "public morality" _ something the board was not given the authority to do.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
*gazes into crystal ball and murmurs...* I predict the Religious Right will claim the judge's decision opens up a route for homosexuals to "recruite" foster children into "the homosexual lifestyle".

Hey, that's got to be one of the safest predictions around. What are the odds of my being wrong?

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Sunstone said:
*gazes into crystal ball and murmurs...* I predict the Religious Right will claim the judge's decision opens up a route for homosexuals to "recruite" foster children into "the homosexual lifestyle".
Yeah, but then the kids get the decoder ring and t-shirt...with incentives like that I'm seriously considering turning myself.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
I read here this morning that they're already trying to overturn the decision. :rolleyes: I love it how writing legislature and getting it through, is "simple" when it's anti-gay, and like pushing sh!t uphill when it may actually give us some semblance of equal rights.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Bastet said:
I read here this morning that they're already trying to overturn the decision. :rolleyes: I love it how writing legislature and getting it through, is "simple" when it's anti-gay, and like pushing sh!t uphill when it may actually give us some semblance of equal rights.
Good point! Frubals to you.