• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arunachalam - Tiruvannamalai

Bhadr

Anyone visited Arunachaleshwara Temple?
Did you do Giri Pradakshina (circumambulation of Arunachala Mountain) ?

image.png

course+1.JPG

annamalaiyar.jpg

shivsomashekhar

Anyone visited Arunachaleshwara Temple?
Did you do Giri Pradakshina (circumambulation of Arunachala Mountain) ?

I have - multiple times. Three things to do in Thiruvannamalai -

1. Visit the temple (It is one of the five major Shiva temples in Tamilnadu/Andhra)
2. Visit Ramana Ashram
3. Circle the hill

Lots of people go around the hill, though it is a long walk. Full moon nights see heavy crowds.

Bhadr

No, but it looks amazing. Might have to check it out when I finally go to India. :)

Yes,its a nice temple.:)

I have - multiple times. Three things to do in Thiruvannamalai -

1. Visit the temple (It is one of the five major Shiva temples in Tamilnadu/Andhra)
2. Visit Ramana Ashram
3. Circle the hill

Lots of people go around the hill, though it is a long walk. Full moon nights see heavy crowds.

Shivsomashekhar Ji,

Which time/months would the crowd be less? Is there any place to stay near the Ashram? Can we do pradakshina during the day?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
On my bucket list still. I was there, in the town, but due to unforeseen circumstance, did none of the above. But three or four days is necessary probably to do it all. I'd like to ascend the mountain as well. That view back down is unreal.

Bhadr, if you use google maps, the search nearby function will get you all the hotels in the place. For westerners more accustomed to western facilities, and food, I'd recommend Sparsa Resort just out of town. The same price as you'd pay in the west.

Bhadr

On my bucket list still. I was there, in the town, but due to unforeseen circumstance, did none of the above. But three or four days is necessary probably to do it all. I'd like to ascend the mountain as well. That view back down is unreal.

Bhadr, if you use google maps, the search nearby function will get you all the hotels in the place. For westerners more accustomed to western facilities, and food, I'd recommend Sparsa Resort just out of town. The same price as you'd pay in the west.

Thanks Ji.I would to like to stay at a hotel that is walkable distance from the main temple.I'll check the place you mentioned.

shivsomashekhar

Which time/months would the crowd be less? Is there any place to stay near the Ashram? Can we do pradakshina during the day?

Other than full moon and festival days, the crowd is OK. Thiruvannamalai gets pretty hot during summer, as does most of Tamilnadu. I recommend visiting that region during mid-November to mid-January. If the weather is not too warm, you can do the Pradakshina during day-time. Else, early morning and evening are better.

I suggest you contact Ramanashram to see if you can stay there. If that is not possible, there are hotels around the temple.

And if you are planning to travel to Tamilnadu, you should plan to visit a few other temples at Chidambaram, Thanjavur and Kanchipuram. Pradosham days are good to visit Shiva temples due to the chanting of Rudram.

Ramanashram accommodations -
http://www.sriramanamaharshi.org/ashram/accommodation/

Temple calendar -
http://www.omarunachala.com/news_viewall.asp

Rudram chanting -

Last edited:

Bhadr

Other than full moon and festival days, the crowd is OK. Thiruvannamalai gets pretty hot during summer, as does most of Tamilnadu. I recommend visiting that region during mid-November to mid-January. If the weather is not too warm, you can do the Pradakshina during day-time. Else, early morning and evening are better.

I suggest you contact Ramanashram to see if you can stay there. If that is not possible, there are hotels around the temple.

And if you are planning to travel to Tamilnadu, you should plan to visit a few other temples at Chidambaram, Thanjavur and Kanchipuram. Pradosham days are good to visit Shiva temples due to the chanting of Rudram.

Ramanashram accommodations -
http://www.sriramanamaharshi.org/ashram/accommodation/

Temple calendar -
http://www.omarunachala.com/news_viewall.asp

Shivsomashekhar Ji,

Thank you very much.:)
(I've been to Kanchi and Chidambaram.)