• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arya Samaj

Hello!

It's been such a long time since I've posted here...

I'm a 21 year old Filipino convert to Gaudiya Vaishnavism via SCS Math (Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Math) and I have become intrigued with this Arya Samaj... however, their group does not seem to be as active and fruitful as I would have hoped.

Reading parts of Sayarth Prakash in English, he seems to be making many good arguments... what to think that the beloved Deities at the temple, or Radha-Krishna, Lakshmi-Narayana, etc. are all factually unnecessary additions to Vaidika Dharma...

What do you all think?

Dandavats,
madanbhakta.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never actually heard of this movement. I read just now that it was founded in the 1800s. Could you tell us how it differs from the Gaudiya Vaishnava school, or some of it main tenets? I'd be very interested to learn about it.
It's good to have you around, I hope you decide to post more frequently :)

Wannabe Yogi

Hello!

It's been such a long time since I've posted here...

I'm a 21 year old Filipino convert to Gaudiya Vaishnavism via SCS Math (Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Math) and I have become intrigued with this Arya Samaj... however, their group does not seem to be as active and fruitful as I would have hoped.

Reading parts of Sayarth Prakash in English, he seems to be making many good arguments... what to think that the beloved Deities at the temple, or Radha-Krishna, Lakshmi-Narayana, etc. are all factually unnecessary additions to Vaidika Dharma...

What do you all think?

The Arya Samaj is against all forms of Murti Wership. They want to go back to the original Vedic Worship and they have their own views what that means.

I've never actually heard of this movement. I read just now that it was founded in the 1800s. Could you tell us how it differs from the Gaudiya Vaishnava school, or some of it main tenets? I'd be very interested to learn about it.
It's good to have you around, I hope you decide to post more frequently :)

There are alot of differences between Gaudiya Vaishnavism and Arya Samaj, at least from what I perceive from its forefront.

GOD

Arya Samaj: God is a personal Being, but ultimately formless. All the different names in the Vedas (Indra, Varuna, Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma, Parvati, etc) are different manifestations of this singular God. All other conceptions of God that came later (Christian, Muslim, Sanatan Dharma) are considered either corrupted or base.

Gaudiya Vaishnavism: God is a personal Being, who also has a Personal Form. Krishna is considered the ultimate form of God, along with all vishnu-tattvas being underneath. Other personalities such as Brahma and Shiva are devatas, or demigods, and are created beings beneath the superiority of Vishnu/Krishna.

DEITIES/MURTIS

Arya Samaj: The usage of deities is strictly forbidden, and deity worship is considered an innovation, departure or corruption of Vedic religion. They arise from the naivete of the human mind and are completely base and primitive to the true Vedic worship. Agnihotra, or havans are the only form of ritual worship of the Lord.

Gaudiya Vaishnavism: Deity worship is a prominent feature of the religion. Mainly deities of Gaur-Nitai (Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and Nityananda Prabhu) and Radha-Krishna are found common, as well as shalagram shilas. The Deity form of the Lord is considered a high representative of God's own form.

SCRIPTURES/SHASTRA

Arya Samaj: The only true Scriptures are the Veda (Rig, Sama, Yajur, Atharva) and Upanishads. Certain other writings such as the Srimad Bhagavad-Gita, Mahabharat, Ramayan, etc. are to be taken as inspirational, but not as Scripture. The Bible and Qur'an and Puranas are considered superstitious and written by men who have no conception of the Lord.

Gaudiya Vaishnavism: Scriptures common to Vaishnavism includes the Bhagavad-Gita and Srimad-Bhagavatam; also part of the canon are Gaudiya works such as the Chaitanya-Charitamrta, the Upadeshamrta, Hari-Bhakta-Vilas, Chaitanya-Bhagavata, etc. The Bible and Qur'an are tolerated as lesser shastra, since they were inspired by Jesus and Muhammad, both considered shaktyavesh-avatars (empowered messengers) of Krishna, but according to kaladeshapatra (time, place and circumstance; in other words, not eternal).

That is what I could find so far concerning them... the thing is, could it be entirely possible that the usage of deities (murtis) be a historical innovation to Vedic culture? That although I am already convinced of the legitimacy of the Vedic writings, could it be that other Scriptures such as the Puranas are downright superstitious and play on people's ignorance?

The only thing that is holding me back from joining Arya Samaj for shaking my faith is that so many saints have chosen or verified Vaishnavism as the path to the Lord: Ramanujacharya, Madhvacharya, Vishnuswami, Nimbarkacharya, Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, etc. have accepted that Vaishnavism is a way of life for those desiring to develop their love of God. While Arya Samaj is a very very recent thing...

Although they do seem to posit good points...

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
There are alot of differences between Gaudiya Vaishnavism and Arya Samaj, at least from what I perceive from its forefront.

GOD

Arya Samaj: God is a personal Being, but ultimately formless. All the different names in the Vedas (Indra, Varuna, Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma, Parvati, etc) are different manifestations of this singular God. All other conceptions of God that came later (Christian, Muslim, Sanatan Dharma) are considered either corrupted or base.

Gaudiya Vaishnavism: God is a personal Being, who also has a Personal Form. Krishna is considered the ultimate form of God, along with all vishnu-tattvas being underneath. Other personalities such as Brahma and Shiva are devatas, or demigods, and are created beings beneath the superiority of Vishnu/Krishna.

DEITIES/MURTIS

Arya Samaj: The usage of deities is strictly forbidden, and deity worship is considered an innovation, departure or corruption of Vedic religion. They arise from the naivete of the human mind and are completely base and primitive to the true Vedic worship. Agnihotra, or havans are the only form of ritual worship of the Lord.

Gaudiya Vaishnavism: Deity worship is a prominent feature of the religion. Mainly deities of Gaur-Nitai (Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and Nityananda Prabhu) and Radha-Krishna are found common, as well as shalagram shilas. The Deity form of the Lord is considered a high representative of God's own form.

SCRIPTURES/SHASTRA

Arya Samaj: The only true Scriptures are the Veda (Rig, Sama, Yajur, Atharva) and Upanishads. Certain other writings such as the Srimad Bhagavad-Gita, Mahabharat, Ramayan, etc. are to be taken as inspirational, but not as Scripture. The Bible and Qur'an and Puranas are considered superstitious and written by men who have no conception of the Lord.

Gaudiya Vaishnavism: Scriptures common to Vaishnavism includes the Bhagavad-Gita and Srimad-Bhagavatam; also part of the canon are Gaudiya works such as the Chaitanya-Charitamrta, the Upadeshamrta, Hari-Bhakta-Vilas, Chaitanya-Bhagavata, etc. The Bible and Qur'an are tolerated as lesser shastra, since they were inspired by Jesus and Muhammad, both considered shaktyavesh-avatars (empowered messengers) of Krishna, but according to kaladeshapatra (time, place and circumstance; in other words, not eternal).

That is what I could find so far concerning them... the thing is, could it be entirely possible that the usage of deities (murtis) be a historical innovation to Vedic culture? That although I am already convinced of the legitimacy of the Vedic writings, could it be that other Scriptures such as the Puranas are downright superstitious and play on people's ignorance?

The only thing that is holding me back from joining Arya Samaj for shaking my faith is that so many saints have chosen or verified Vaishnavism as the path to the Lord: Ramanujacharya, Madhvacharya, Vishnuswami, Nimbarkacharya, Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, etc. have accepted that Vaishnavism is a way of life for those desiring to develop their love of God. While Arya Samaj is a very very recent thing...

Although they do seem to posit good points...

This Arya Samaj seems to represent a lot of more traditional or ancient ideas. I tend to see Vaishnavism as fairly recent, comparitively speaking.

I was brought up as a Gaudiya Vaishnava and kind of still consider myself to be that, in that Krishna/Radha is my worshipful deity and I have a guru and love the style of devotional practice (including deity worship!!). But I also believe that a lot of the content taught by the devotees is too dogmatic, and too full of irrational superstitions/ideas. I think that the strict lifestyle of the Gaudiya Math was originally meant for the male mendicants and so the pressure for everyone to live such a strict and suppressed lifestyle is unrealistic and unhealthy (for the strict followers).

I am a true believer in thinking for yourself. Critical thinking is very important. Without it, we are just sheep following the leader blindly. So if some things make sense to you in one philosophy then follow it but be wary of the things that make little or no sense to you. If the idea of a formless God makes most sense to you, then there's no problem in believing that.

But most importantly, never forget that what you believe does not necessarily equal what is truth. But that's the point of our spiritual journey; discovering truth. At some point, no matter which specific path we follow, we come to Truth. So do what helps you feel helps you get there :)

horntooth

Sextian
my religious opinions, the doctrines that i believe concerning god, afterlife and ethics are exactly the same as that of Arya Samaj x)

it's just i came to those beliefs by myself, just by contemplation. i found out about Arya Samaj after already having formed my wold-view.

although there are 2 differences- i'm an panentheist- i believe that matter and souls are parts of god (made "out of" god), and i don't accept any scripture, including the Vedas.

This Arya Samaj seems to represent a lot of more traditional or ancient ideas. I tend to see Vaishnavism as fairly recent, comparitively speaking.

I was brought up as a Gaudiya Vaishnava and kind of still consider myself to be that, in that Krishna/Radha is my worshipful deity and I have a guru and love the style of devotional practice (including deity worship!!). But I also believe that a lot of the content taught by the devotees is too dogmatic, and too full of irrational superstitions/ideas. I think that the strict lifestyle of the Gaudiya Math was originally meant for the male mendicants and so the pressure for everyone to live such a strict and suppressed lifestyle is unrealistic and unhealthy (for the strict followers).

I am a true believer in thinking for yourself. Critical thinking is very important. Without it, we are just sheep following the leader blindly. So if some things make sense to you in one philosophy then follow it but be wary of the things that make little or no sense to you. If the idea of a formless God makes most sense to you, then there's no problem in believing that.

Well it depends... In SCS Math, the Gaudiya Vaishnava group that I currently have sangha with, having images of Radha-Krishna are very rare to find, except on a person's altar. Otherwise, the image of the Divine as Radha-Krishna is so sacred that it is kept that way.

Vaishnavism, as it stands, speaks of it having existed for thousands of years, for millions of years, of which the whole world was united under worship of Radha-Krishna/Lakshmi-Narayan in a global kingdom called Bharata-varsha. Arya Samaj makes the same claim, but for a personal, formless being.

Both groups make exclusivist claims! XD

And I am speaking as a transgender, externally gay (I'm a male who has a female brain; I have been diagnosed with Gender Identity Disorder) devotee. Thank goodness for GALVA, or the Gay and Lesbian Vaishnava Association. I would be killed as a gay Arya Samaji! :p

But even devotees can be quite liberal in their understanding. Bhaktivinode Thakur speaks of the liberality of Vaishnavism in classical 19th century prose, of a Supreme Father and the unification of all religions through the universal congregational chanting of the Holy Names. And my own param param param (great grand-guru), Srila Sridhar Maharaj (godbrother of Srila Prabhupad and disciple of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur) mentioned of following the heart, and the difference between God consciousness and society consciousness.

God consciousness stems from the heart (divya jnan hrde proka****o), and society will help you to reach that understanding... however, society will suddenly tell you for your safety to not go beyond what has been given, "Stay here, and you will be safe. There is nothing beyond this truth." But Srila Sridhar Maharaj says that the Absolute Truth is beyond any limitation and is full of variegatedness. Thus, if we need to leave the society in order to spiritually grow, we must follow that; otherwise we will be stunted in our spiritual progress and checked by the disturbances of the mind.

Even we are given the Six Limbs of Sharanagati, or complete and utter surrender to the Lord. The first two limbs are a) accepting everything favourable to the Lord, and b) rejecting everything unfavourable to Lord. And this is a relative thing, although there is one Sweet Absolute.

But I guess this is something that I will have to explore myself with Arya Samaj... I will check them out!

I just celebrated Ratha Yatra as well yesterday... it's hard to change religions when your religion's worship is through chanting and dancing and eating prasadam, hahaha...

nameless

The Creator
DEITIES/MURTIS

arya samaj was formed to preserve hindu population number at any cost. Muslims finds it is easier to convert a hindu who uses murtis/deities, philosophy of murty/diety is often the trump card for them to win hindus, since not all hindus are aware of significance of behind those. A sample - A Conversation between a Hindu and Muslim.

Realizing this danger deity/murty worship was forbidden by arya samaj. Personally i feel it was essential at those periods.

Last edited:

ajay0

I have reservation towards the view of arya samaj,and it seems they differ much with mainstream hinduism.

Arya Samaj bases its teachings on the Vedas alone and not on the later Puranas, epics and Smritis. They differ from mainstream Hinduism, but so does other Hindu sects like the Hindu Nanakpanthis, Kabir Panthis, Brahmo Samajis, Brahmakumaris, Lingayats, Prarthana Samaj and others.

The efforts of Arya Samaj and Brahmo Samaj were crucial in preventing the murder of Hindu widows by burning in Sati, saying that such teachings were not present in the Vedas and contradicting Ahimsa or nonviolence. They also effected a renaissaince in Hindu society during the nineteenth century that helped to get rid off superstitiuous practices like casteism, untouchability, sati, child marriages and animal sacrifices. They emphasized the equality and fraternity of all human beings, as well as gender equality.

This brought about the unification of Hindu society, hitherto heavily divided by caste and creed, and helped to bring about the independence from colonial rule.

sunnybhai

Arya Samaj bases its teachings on the Vedas alone and not on the later Puranas, epics and Smritis. They differ from mainstream Hinduism, but so does other Hindu sects like the Hindu Nanakpanthis, Kabir Panthis, Brahmo Samajis, Brahmakumaris, Lingayats, Prarthana Samaj and others.

The efforts of Arya Samaj and Brahmo Samaj were crucial in preventing the murder of Hindu widows by burning in Sati, saying that such teachings were not present in the Vedas and contradicting Ahimsa or nonviolence. They also effected a renaissaince in Hindu society during the nineteenth century that helped to get rid off superstitiuous practices like casteism, untouchability, sati, child marriages and animal sacrifices. They emphasized the equality and fraternity of all human beings, as well as gender equality.

This brought about the unification of Hindu society, hitherto heavily divided by caste and creed, and helped to bring about the independence from colonial

sunnybhai

Hmm yes it looks like Arya samaj is like protestant version of hinduism,which gives primacy to vedas. Brahmo Samaj was more like renaissance,which promoted widow remarriage and also was against sati practices.They even promoted education of girls.Thanks for valuable information.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What do you all think?
That is correct. Vaidic dharma had its own Gods and Goddesses. They did not know of Shiva, Durga, Rama, Krishna or Shrimati Radha Rani. These Gods and Goddesses are of indigenous people of India. See the list of Rigvedic deities here: Rigvedic deities - Wikipedia

But after settling down in India and assimilating with the indigenous people, Aryans accepted Hindu deities and the indigenous accepted the Aryan deities. Vishnu, Rudra and Saraswati, for example, are of Vaidic origin.
Check here for information on Arya Samaj: Arya Samaj - Wikipedia
Gaudiya Vaishnavism is totally different from Arya Samaj. No Comparison.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. could it be that other Scriptures such as the Puranas are downright superstitious and play on people's ignorance?
Do you think that Puranas or Murtis have no value (I know that you don't since you are presently following Gaudiya Vaishnavism)?
The puranas and murtis have their own reasons, which Swami Dayananda ignored for trumpeting his view. His translation of Vedas is probably the worst in the world.
IMHO, believing in Vedic deities is just as superstitious as believing in any others. I am an atheist Hindu (Advaita).

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hmm yes it looks like Arya samaj is like protestant version of hinduism,which gives primacy to vedas. Brahmo Samaj was more like renaissance,which promoted widow remarriage and also was against sati practices.They even promoted education of girls.Thanks for valuable information.
Yes, Swami Dayananda's message may have been useful against Christian missionaries of his time, but it is factious now.

ajay0

Swami Dayananda's message of equality and fraternity of all human beings united Hindu society to a large extent in the nineteenth century inspite of divisions of caste and creed formulated by obsolete smritis.

I have elaborated on this in this thread of mine ...

It has the potential to get rid of the remaining factious elements in Hindu society as well, which has been an unfortunate source of strife among various castes , as well as religious conversions to other religions by the lower castes.

Last edited:

ajay0

Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, popularly known as the 'Iron Man' of India for his resolute character which enabled the unification of India, had also praised the Arya Samaj and Maharishi Dayanand Saraswati ...

“The foundation of Indian independence was laid by Maharishi Dayanand Saraswati” – Sardar Vallabhai Patel

When Kashmir was invaded by Pathan tribesmen in 1947, leading to widespread looting, indiscriminate killing and rape of Kashmiri Pandits, it was Patel that forced the wavering Nehru to send the Indian army to kashmir and stop the invasion attempt.

This timely action prevented the total genocide of Kashmiri Pandits and loss of Kashmir.

Nehru, an atheist, had praised Patel with the following words...

"He concentrated his attention on the great task of unifying the country and maintaining its stability at a time when disruptive forces were at work. In particular, his genius was demonstrated in the way he handled the difficult and complicated problem of the old Indian States. He fixed his goal, a united and strong India, and set about to achieve it with skill and determination."

In south India, the Arya Samaj played a major role in highlighting the atrocities and tyrannical rule of the Hyderabad state under the Nizam. This eventually lead to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel sending the Indian army to Hyderabad and its integration into the Indian state.