• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aspirations

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I believe we are defined by our ability to say ...no....to ourselves.
Self denial impedes the pending effort.
without self denial, the unbridled heart is fickle.

I say, the spirit forms with each occasion....you decide what to partake of....what to leave alone.

What level of denial is your greatest aspiration?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I've never understood this line of thought. Why is self-denial somehow inherently more noble than pleasing yourself?

I suspect the next life is a matter of greater discipline.

Here in this world most pursue, whatever they can get their hands on.
the more the merrier.

For example...
Do you have the discretion to say ...no....to a willing virgin?

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
To no longer deny myself.
To forget what self-denial is.
It's done nothing but hold me back and make me miserable.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I suspect the next life is a matter of greater discipline.

Here in this world most pursue, whatever they can get their hands on.
the more the merrier.

For example...
Do you have the discretion to say ...no....to a willing virgin?
Can I say no or would I say no? There's a difference.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
How about...would you say no....
If they're of legal age and I find them suitably attractive(or willing to try some stranger stuff), no, why would I? There's no reason not to. She wants it, I could have some fun..

I mean, I don't think Blackbeard's philosophy really applies here. When asked why he didn't shell & raid Charleston he said "True power is being able to take something and then decide not to". That has zero meaning in regards to something as mutually gratifying as sex.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

I say, the spirit forms with each occasion....you decide what to partake of....what to leave alone.

It's late and I'm tired but after I read this the first thing that popped into my head was; why set up the dichotomy. Why I thought that I do not yet know, but I shall ponder this and return later, although I am thinking that by stating this you are saying you do not trust yourself, or by denying you are focusing desire... but like I said it is late and I am tired

Laika

Premium Member

Denial of self-denial. To deny that which is natural, that which originates from the self, from the flesh and is human is to be impoverished, if not robbed.

Although I think maybe FDR had a point when he said, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." So to deny myself the indulgence of fear corrupting my judgement, but not it's necessity in response to a threat, would probably be my highest form of denial.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
It's all about finding a balance of moderation between abstaining and indulging, weighing risk vs. reward, etc.
All things in moderation, especially moderation.,

Denial of self-denial. To deny that which is natural, that which originates from the self, from the flesh and is human is to be impoverished, if not robbed.

Here-here! Hedonism ftw!

Last edited:

Pudding

Denial to be a bad person.

GoodbyeDave

I can aspire to what is good and I can deny what is bad, but why should I deny myself just for the sake of it? This has a flavour of world-rejecting, as in Christianity and Buddhism. Paganism rejects world-denying religions as impious denials of divine providence.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I strongly suspect....it's not a matter of relation to another.

If able to say no to yourself....you are in control.

If I would be the least of servants....I still need that level of control....at all times.

How to be trusted with the greater things, if I cannot be trusted with lesser things.

So, the greater the level of self denial....the greater the acquisition of ability.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
If able to say no to yourself....you are in control.
That is a very limited view. In some cases, saying yes to yourself and telling yourself to go a head is being in control.
Saying yes is the acknowledgement that this is your life, your life alone, and it should be lived as you deem fit, not as others would desire.