• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assumptions

Eliana

A pretty simple question...

Do people attack you or make assumptions about you because you are a religious Jew? I mean in ways other then the usual run of the mill human silliness. Do they assume you are a bigot, mean, ignorant, uneducated, unworldly and so on.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member

Do people attack you or make assumptions about you because you are a religious Jew? I mean in ways other then the usual run of the mill human silliness. Do they assume you are a bigot, mean, ignorant, uneducated, unworldly and so on.
No such event seems to come to my mind. I suppose that as long as you're polite and respectful, you'll usually receive the same courtesy.

Ehav4Ever

I will say that I have found that there are some who do make assumptions about things that may contradict their personal view of what the term Judaism means to them. I will say that it may be a result of what topics one wants to involve themselves in.

I will also say that there does some to be, at times, heigtened attention to anything that attempts to explain the Torah based concept of Hashem and what Torah based Jews claim about Hashem and the Torah. Yet, I have found ways to prevent people from derailing what I post by presenting facts.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

In real life, almost never. But online, all the time. Chatrooms are much worse than forums.

I routinely get called a legalist. Or they'll assume I haven't read the Bible since if I had read it I would accept Jesus. Sometimes atheists will call me superstitious. I've been told that since my focus is on making this world a better place rather than on heaven, that I am "worldly." It is particularly irritating being told to stop playing the antisemitism card, which assumes that antisemitism doesn't really exist. Probably the most hateful assumption is from those who think "the chosen people" means that I'm racist and think that I'm better than non-Jews. Oh, and let's not forget the ASSumption that Zionist means I hate Palestinians.

However, no one has ever accused me of being stupid or uneducated. Usually, antisemitic folks will merely reword this as being "clever" which can sometimes mean cunning and crafty.

Last edited: