• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
Do atheist’s form some of their own ideas on how we got here and where we’re going or do they just believe what science tells them? Do they believe in anything that can’t be explained? Genuinely curious here. I know not all would have fantastical ideas but some? Any atheists out there who are different?

Last edited:

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Well, I imagine that several of the scientists making scientific discoveries are in fact atheists. So atheists are probably not "just believing what science tells them"

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Honestly, id say that the charge you are laying on atheists is more aptly laid upon theists. (As in theists might be seen as simply believing what they are told rather than figuring it out themselves)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Do atheist’s form some of their own ideas on how we got here and where we’re going or do they just believe what science tells them? Do they believe in anything that can’t be explained?
Science is superfluous to atheism. Atheism is about belief in god/gods, and science is about the search for explanation.

Science doesn't explain everything--if it did, there would be no more science.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Wondering if there’s any “magic” in there beliefs
I think that everyone utilizes magical thinking to some degree, but in general it's not essential to our thinking, which is to say that we all (atheists and otherwise) go about our lives despite it. We use magical thinking when we wish or hope for things, when we see conspiracy theories, or gamble on outcomes.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
I think that everyone utilizes magical thinking to some degree, but in general it's not essential to our thinking, which is to say that we all (atheists and otherwise) go about our lives despite it. We use magical thinking when we wish or hope for things, when we see conspiracy theories, or gamble on outcomes.
So that’s a no. So your outlook on life is science based.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Do atheist’s form some of their own ideas on how we got here and where we’re going or do they just believe what science tells them? Do they believe in anything that can’t be explained? Genuinely curious here.
Of course there are some who do that. I have to admit I "formed some of my own ideas" when I was a child.

But I try to avoid just making stuff up. If something can't be explained, it can't be explained.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I think that everyone utilizes scientific thinking to some extent, but in general it's not essential to our thinking. We live our lives despite it. We use scientific thinking when we test a recipe and adjust it to fit our tastes, when we navigate roads to find a destination, or questions and answers to find a fixed relationship.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
I think that everyone utilizes scientific thinking to some extent, but in general it's not essential to our thinking. We live our lives despite it. We use scientific thinking when we test a recipe and adjust it to fit our tastes, when we navigate roads to find a destination, or questions and answers to find a fixed relationship.
Yeah, you’re going off in to much of a strange direction for my tastes.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Ooh I love finding the answers to something that can’t be explained. Gives life zest.
I could not agree more.

But finding the answer is not the same thing as making up an answer. Making up an answer will in fact make it much more difficult to actually find the answer.

Step number one in order to find an answer is to realize and admit you don't have it. To understand that something that is unexplained, is unexplained.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Do atheist’s form some of their own ideas on how we got here and where we’re going or do they just believe what science tells them? Do they believe in anything that can’t be explained? Genuinely curious here.
And I'm genuinely curious -- do you believe in things that can't be explained? If so, why? You'll never find an explanation for how a grasshopper could transform into a skyscraper -- but if somebody told you it happened, would you believe it?