• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: cognizing overwhelming barbarity?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Atheists, how do you cognize the overwhelming barbarity of the world?

When I was a theist, I had the understanding that there was a cosmic battle of good versus evil going on that can explain all of our woes. Many religious folk have this. So when there are shootings here, wars over there, etc., they can cognize the brute barbarity through a religious lens. It makes the reality easier to swallow.

Atheists, how do you cognize the barbarity of the world? Let me tell you, it seems the younger generation does so through dark humor and desensitization of human life. I do not like that route. So, how do you do it?

Heyo

Veteran Member

When I was a theist, I had the understanding that there was a cosmic battle of good versus evil going on that can explain all of our woes. Many religious folk have this. So when there are shootings here, wars over there, etc., they can cognize the brute barbarity through a religious lens. It makes the reality easier to swallow.

Atheists, how do you cognize the barbarity of the world? Let me tell you, it seems the younger generation does so through dark humor and desensitization of human life. I do not like that route. So, how do you do it?
By remembering that most humans are good most of the time - and also lazy, dumb and cowards. We have to learn to deal with the one or two percent of psychopaths.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
When I was a theist, I had the understanding that there was a cosmic battle of good versus evil going on that can explain all of our woes.
I'm not an atheist but I don't believe in cosmic battles or anything like that

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I'm not an atheist but I don't believe in cosmic battles or anything like that
Does your belief system account for the brutality of the world? Is man and earth and their struggles irrelevant in a panetheistic system?
Edit: if so, how do you personally cognize the brutality of the world?

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
Does your belief system account for the brutality of the world? Is man and earth and their struggles irrelevant in a panetheistic system?
I don't believe in "struggles"

Only human tendencies

To me "good" and "evil" are adjectives, not nouns

People can be good, evil, or a bit of both

There is no cosmic struggle or anything like that

I don't see the world in such terms

I don't believe in The Big Man In The Sky

Clizby Wampuscat

By looking at how we humans have overcome our barbarity with reason and working together to come up with rules for society. I don't believe people are inherently good or bad, we do good and bad things. I think we are prone to selfishness that can lead to hurting others. Evolution is brutal but that is the reality of our existence. The world is just the way it is and all we can do is work together to try to overcome it.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I don't believe in "struggles"

Only human tendencies

To me "good" and "evil" are adjectives, not nouns

People can be good, evil, or a bit of both

There is no cosmic struggle or anything like that

I don't see the world in such terms

I don't believe in The Big Man In The Sky
I guess what I‘m trying to ask here, is, if you can’t assign the suffering of man to some greater cosmic purpose, how do you handle the suffering of the world? I assume you are an empathetic person, most people have the capacity to be empathetic. So, how do you let it not overwhelm you, all of the suffering that happens?

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
I guess what I‘m trying to ask here, is, if you can’t assign the suffering of man to some greater cosmic purpose, how do you handle the suffering of the world. I assume you are an empathetic person, most people have the capacity to be empathetic. So, how do you let it not overwhelm you, all of the suffering that happens?
I hope for the world to improve and I distract myself and ignore things

It's not as if there is much I can do to make things right on the macro level, the most I can do is be good on the micro level

Clizby Wampuscat

Ahh, but we have only gotten better and more efficient at being barbarous.
I wouldn't say so overall. Society is a lot less barbarous than it was 400 years ago lets say or 1000 years ago ir 100,000 years ago. I think technology and societal norms have cut down on suffering immensely.

Polka_time

My Epicureanism is atheist adjacent so I will speak to this...

I learned the hard lesson of not reasoning from the starting point of bruised and battered ideals and accept the underlying enmity in the nature of things. Instead reasoning from my emotions was a key part of Epicurean canonics for me. Rather than being overwhelmed by, hiding or censuring emotions of pleasure or displeasure at the nature of things, I try to live authentically and pleasantly as I integrate the emotions either through activism, study of nature, parrhesia, and ritual.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I hope for the world to improve and I distract myself and ignore things

It's not as if there is much I can do to make things right on the macro level, the most I can do is be good on the micro level
Perhaps I’ll have to accept that not all (such as myself) has the capacity to change things at the macro level. A tough pill to swallow!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm obviously not your target audience, but can you clarify why you perceive there to be "overwhelming barbarity" in the world, even if by "the world" you actually meant just human cultures and places?

PureX

Veteran Member

I'm not an atheist, but I don't see why 'good and evil' would require a religious lens to be recognized as an innate aspect of the human condition. We can each choose for ourselves to respond to the world in which we live with fear and selfishness and at the cost of those around us, or we can choose to respond to it with kindness and compassion and in unity with those around us. And the choice is open and available to all. No religions are required. As many atheists have pointed out on many of the forums.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
My Epicureanism is atheist adjacent so I will speak to this...

I learned the hard lesson of not reasoning from the starting point of bruised and battered ideals and accept the underlying enmity in the nature of things. Instead reasoning from my emotions was a key part of Epicurean canonics for me. Rather than being overwhelmed by, hiding or censuring emotions of pleasure or displeasure at the nature of things, I try to live authentically and pleasantly as I integrate the emotions either through activism, study of nature, parrhesia, and ritual.
Hmm. I am finding myself to be something of a Hedonist myself.

I can let myself be empowered by my emotions, is that along the lines of what you are saying?

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
Perhaps I’ll have to accept that not all (such as myself) has the capacity to change things at the macro level. A tough pill to swallow!
Maybe but if you lower your expectations you might be less upset and bothered about things

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I'm obviously not your target audience, but can you clarify why you perceive there to be "overwhelming barbarity" in the world, even if by "the world" you actually meant just human cultures and places?
Do I have to point further than perpetual warfare?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
My view, Lifes a challenge you need to accept it. Religion/God is not going to change the fact that it is a challenge only offer you a better afterlife if you meet the conditions of religion/God.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I have found the quickest easiest way to become aware of the barbarity is turn on the news...