• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avoiding Processed Sugar

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been on a really good diet over Lent and even though I won't be sticking to it as I'm adding foods back in, one thing I want to keep is staying away from refined sugars as much as possible.

I'm on a very meagre student budget and have only standard UK shops to go to. I'm already looking for products with reduced sugar, such as ketchup and other stuff, but have any of you any tips for avoiding needless added sugars?

I'm also finding the traffic light system on foods very helpful.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've been on a really good diet over Lent and even though I won't be sticking to it as I'm adding foods back in, one thing I want to keep is staying away from refined sugars as much as possible.

I'm on a very meagre student budget and have only standard UK shops to go to. I'm already looking for products with reduced sugar, such as ketchup and other stuff, but have any of you any tips for avoiding needless added sugars?

I'm also finding the traffic light system on foods very helpful.
Read the ingredients ... carefully. They try to hide it. In our Canadian ketchup, sugar is #2 ingredient. I use salsa instead. Not only does it have less sugar, but it tastes better.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Read the ingredients ... carefully. They try to hide it. In our Canadian ketchup, sugar is #2 ingredient. I use salsa instead. Not only does it have less sugar, but it tastes better.
Do you have the traffic light system?

We know how much sugar is in most products at a glance.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
In reducing sugar, be aware of increases in sweeteners maybe? Sorbitol, xylitol and erythritol can have laxative effects. (And xylitol is toxic to dogs, and possibly cats).
I used to consume tons of artificial sugars but apparently too many can give you cancer

Secret Chief

Degrow!
You can buy a plate divided into different sections by lines

In one section goes carbs

In another greens

In the other meat

It helps you have a more balanced diet
Well... one doesn't need meat...
IMG_7581.jpeg

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
You can make date syrup to use as a sweetener. It will keep about 3 weeks in the refrigerator. You can add a bit of it to your sugar-free ketchup (or whatever else) at the time of use. You can use the leftover date pulp as a filling for cinnamon or chocolate rolls, on pancakes or waffles, or in many baked goods.

Date butterscotch is really tasty! (especially over brownies made with the leftover date pulp!)

Last edited: