• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Barb-enheimer"

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
One thing I wanted to mention just because the Oscars are on tomorrow night.

I am a big Billie Eilish fan and she and Finneas did a fantastic job writing the song for the "Barbie" movie ("What Was I Made For?"). And she has won a whole bunch of awards for it already. And well deserved. But Dua Lipa wrote an epic "disco" style dance tune for the big dance scene in the "Barbie" movie that was also incredibly well done. I don't know which, if either, will get the Oscar for best song in a movie, but I almost hope it's Dua Lipa just because Billie Eilish has swept that category this year at all the other awards shows. And Dua's song really deserves to be recognized.
Dua Lipa's song was nominated for a Golden Globe along with the other two Barbie songs. Billie & Finneas won, of course.
I think the Billie Eilish song is absolutely beautiful! And they won the Oscar.

Ryan Gosling put on a super fun performance of "I'm Just Ken" the other night at the Oscars too. Loved it! I think he's absolutely perfect as Ken.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
It appears to me that directors believe there
must be some sex & nudity in movies.
Oppenheimer...the story of the man & the
bomb....it needs to have sex scenes?
There were some mighty big bangs in it.

More seriously, something that annoys me is the way producers of series will incorporate a lot of it in the first season, then as it series gets established and popular, it all mysteriously goes away. I just watched a series called Warrior on Netflix. It's actually very good, you might enjoy it. It's about the Tong wars in San Francisco in the late 19th century. The idea for it came from some notes that Bruce Lee made before his death. Anyway, the first season had so much T&A that .... well, you get it. The second season, a lot less, the third, almost none. Warning, extreme violence throughout.

I suppose that if I still had that stuff....testosterone,
I think it's called....flowing thru me veins, I'd feel
differently. But I don't want to see the beast with
2 backs.
Hey, look at me quoting Shakespeare!

You might like this joke.

Two old guys are sitting in a retirement home discussing their time in the armed forces. The conversation goes .... "Do you remember that stuff they put in our tea to stop us feeling horny?" "Yes, what about it?" "I think it's beginning to work".

PureX

Veteran Member
Dua Lipa's song was nominated for a Golden Globe along with the other two Barbie songs. Billie & Finneas won, of course.
I think the Billie Eilish song is absolutely beautiful! And they won the Oscar.

Ryan Gosling put on a super fun performance of "I'm Just Ken" the other night at the Oscars too. Loved it! I think he's absolutely perfect as Ken.
That whole "Ken" story line was great fun in the movie, and the male actors did a good job playing it out.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
That whole "Ken" story line was great fun in the movie, and the male actors did a good job playing it out.
Agreed. I never really liked Ryan Gosling all that much before. Not sure why, exactly. But he totally killed it playing Ken. All the other Kens were amazing too. Oh and also poor Allan.

I forgot to mention that over the weekend my 13-year-old niece (who adores the Barbie movie) and I were dancing our hearts out to that Dua Lipa song. I won't send you the video, because it's super embarrassing (I can't dance!). :D

PureX

Veteran Member
Agreed. I never really liked Ryan Gosling all that much before. Not sure why, exactly. But he totally killed it playing Ken. All the other Kens were amazing too. Oh and also poor Allan.

I forgot to mention that over the weekend my 13-year-old niece (who adores the Barbie movie) and I were dancing our hearts out to that Dua Lipa song. I won't send you the video, because it's super embarrassing (I can't dance!). :D
I watched a songwriter's panel with Dua Lipa on it (Billie Eilish as well) and she had worked very hard on that song, getting it just right. I'm not much for dance/pop music, myself, but I thought she did a great job on that song, too.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I watched a songwriter's panel with Dua Lipa on it (Billie Eilish as well) and she had worked very hard on that song, getting it just right. I'm not much for dance/pop music, myself, but I thought she did a great job on that song, too.
Oooh I'd like to see that. I'm not a huge dance music fan but I have to admit the song is really fun.
I dare anyone not to dance when they hear it! Good luck! :D

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I watched the "Barbie" movie a while ago, but just got around to watching the "Oppenheimer" movie last night. And not that anyone cares, but I thought I'd open a thread on it (not aware of any others), so just for kicks ...

So, I was actually quite impressed with the "Barbie" movie.

"Oppenheimer" also was better than I was expecting.
Barbie was a fun movie that made me laugh

Oppenheimer was your typical boring Oscar movie with Great art. There is no way I could sit through a movie that long without a catch. The artsy moments and there are a lot kept me in my seat

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
It is very boring, and I thought the sex scenes were cringy. Florence Pugh is better than that and shame on Nolan for going the cheap T&A route.
I thought it was very Nolan-esk as he tends to do the artsy thing in all his movies. Bad acting shoot from a weird angle getting boring change of colors in the scenery or change the scenery completely. This is probably the best usage I have seen by him. I'll be honest even though I didn't like the story I felt satisfied seeing it in a theater.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I watched the "Barbie" movie a while ago, but just got around to watching the "Oppenheimer" movie last night. And not that anyone cares, but I thought I'd open a thread on it (not aware of any others), so just for kicks ...

So, I was actually quite impressed with the "Barbie" movie. It might be that I was not expecting too much, though, mostly because it seemed like such a silly idea and because 'movie-land' is already so full of idiotic, adolescent, bad fantasy flicks that I just assumed this would be another. And when it was something a bit different, and a bit more, I was pleasantly surprised. Although, to be honest, the artist in me was really more fascinated with the sets and costumes and music, etc., than with the "existential angst" of a Barbie-doll-turned-human.

As a 'cohesive story' I found it a bit disjointed and scattered. But viewed as a succession of weird and funny vignettes, it was really excellent! I actually want to watch it again because those vignettes were so packed full of creative and interesting details and I'm sure I missed a lot. Maybe I'll rent it again, tonight.

"Oppenheimer" also was better than I was expecting. Because it was so long, biographical, political, and 'male-dominated', I was not really looking forward to it. And might not have watched it at all except that I happened to stumble across an interview with the lead actor and that discussion made me curious. So I went ahead and rented it.

It too, as a story arc, was a bit discombobulated. Jumping back and forth in it's own timeline. But the writing and the acting were all really excellent, and that alone is always enough to keep me engaged. And the movie didn't feel long or drawn out until the 'epilogue' part after the bomb was dropped. That got a bit tedious, although again, the writing and acting were fantastic. Very well done.

So I can understand why these two movies did so well at the box office this year. The truth is they were both very good films. I think the writing and acting congrats go more to "Oppenheimer", but the fun and creativity congrats go to "Barbie". And that made them good films to compliment each other instead of competing with each other in the theaters. A lot of people went to see them both. Especially as they both opened at the same time.

So what did you all think of this combination of movies? Likes? Dislikes? Or don't care?
Oppenheimer is one of the best movies I've seen in quite a while. I have not seen Barbie.

PureX

Veteran Member
It is very boring, and I thought the sex scenes were cringy. Florence Pugh is better than that and shame on Nolan for going the cheap T&A route.
I kind of liked that the "nude scene" was completely non-sexual. Just two people sitting in chairs. It's almost as if the producers insisted on a nude scene so the director gave them one ... but he gave them the most un-sexy one he could come up with. :)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Nothing in either movie bothered me. That's saying something (not sure what, though)!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I kind of liked that the "nude scene" was completely non-sexual. Just two people sitting in chairs. It's almost as if the producers insisted on a nude scene so the director gave them one ... but he gave them the most un-sexy one he could come up with. :)
Well, all I know is that it was very uncomfortable to watch.