• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basic Shia beliefs

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
As Salamu Alaykum.

I have been reading up on Shiism, and I was wondering where I can get an authentic source to read about the basic beliefs, and an explanation of them.

So far, I have acquainted myself with the beliefs of the Imams, and the Ahlul Bayt, the distancing from certain persons of the salaf.

But now I want to know more about the basic beliefs of Shia islam, like when I first converted how I learned the basics of Sunni islam, such as, salah, saum, etc .

Any help will be appreciated greated :)

Ma'salam

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Wa alaikum as-sallam brother,
I have recently written an article which I called “That I have converted, What’s next?”

I don’t know whether you have seen it. I published it in my website:

Islam: Shia/Sunni

I believe that it’s important because it heights some of the turning points in the history of Islam, as well as some of the areas one need to research in order to understand the Islamic doctrines from both: the Shiite as well as the Sunnite perspective…

Then, in order to facilitate gaining an adequate understanding of shia Islam, I recommend the following three types of sources:

1. The writings of scholars who have been influenced by or have been converted to Shia Islam, where among the most famous of them Muhammad al-Tijani al-Samawi (Arabic: محمد التيجاني السماوي‎) Muhammad al-Tijani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are some of his books:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tij...rch=al-islam.org&search_type=on&sid=410095795

2 . Sources documenting dialogues between prominent Shia scholars with their Sunni counterparts, where among the very well know of them “is Al Muraj’aat’, which describes the dialogue between the Shia author and the head of Al-Azhar University.

Al-Muraja'at - A Shi'i Sunni Dialogue

And ‘Peshawar Nights which recounts a public debate between Shi'a Muslims and Sunni Muslims.
Peshawar Nights

2. Writings by Shia scholars introducing Shia Islam…such as ‘The Faith of Shi'a Islam’

The Faith of Shi'a Islam

The website that I recommend is:
Al-Islam.org by the Ahlul Bayt DILP - Home

Which contains all the above described books…

Enjoy your reading :rainbow1:

Shia Islam

Premium Member
As Salamu Alaykum.

I have been reading up on Shiism, and I was wondering where I can get an authentic source to read about the basic beliefs, and an explanation of them.

I am afraid that the resources I have recommended may assume Sunni audience with some level of acquaintance with Sunni Islam, and hence some members may not find them very suitable..

It would be nice to see our brother (Matemkar)'s take in the topic...

Last edited:

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
I am afraid that the resources I have recommended may assume Sunni audience with some level of acquaintance with Sunni Islam, and hence some members may not find them very suitable..

It would be nice to see our brother (Matemkar)'s take in the topic...
Hehe, I think I am very well knowledgeable of Sunni Islam :p You must mean ShiaIslam.

But I do find I can understand fine enough. Though I would be interested to see if Matemkar has any input :)

Shia Islam

Premium Member
Hehe, I think I am very well knowledgeable of Sunni Islam :p You must mean ShiaIslam.

But I do find I can understand fine enough. Though I would be interested to see if Matemkar has any input :)

Ohhh..I did not make my point clear...:eek:

I was pointing to other members who may be interested to know about Shia Islam :D

As you know, with small exceptions, generally shia Muslims are living as minorities in Sunni countries...

That is why many Shia scholars tend to assume Sunni audience when writing about Shia Islam..