• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belief in a holy/wise book

miriamk

I believe that many if not all religions have a holy/wise book or a legend that guides the people to be good. Good in the sense of being moral, honest, not a thief and not killing. So this holy/wise/legend book encourages the person to be good but the book and the god/prophet that has enlightened the person who wrote the book is needed because some people would not be good without a god/law that requires it of them. So all religions encourage the good in people and this encouragement of good in people can be called the Power of Good. Whether it be a god or just the innate need to be good that encouraged it.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Not all religions have a holy scripture. Mine only consists of 17 hymns. Most European Paganisms do not have a holy scripture.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If I could be said to have a "holy book," it certainly doesn't play that role. Entangling religion with morality is characteristic of Christianities, and not so much of religions outside of that umbrella and its related classical monotheisms.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I believe that many if not all religions have a holy/wise book or a legend that guides the people to be good. Good in the sense of being moral, honest, not a thief and not killing. So this holy/wise/legend book encourages the person to be good but the book and the god/prophet that has enlightened the person who wrote the book is needed because some people would not be good without a god/law that requires it of them. So all religions encourage the good in people and this encouragement of good in people can be called the Power of Good. Whether it be a god or just the innate need to be good that encouraged it.
Would you like to provide examples of books/scriptures that fit this description?

allfoak

Alchemist
@miriamk

The holy books do indeed encourage people to be good, of this there can be no doubt.
Some are in need of this guidance, so that makes it good.

Timothy Bryce

I believe this to be complete garbage.

In the absence of sacred texts of some kind, I guarantee people would figure out that characteristics such as honesty, refraining from stealing and murdering people and an intrinsic sense of right and wrong would still be rationally considered. The religious/sacred text slant is completely redundant in this regard.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Usually, holy books, traditions, legends help shape how a community practices life and sees the nature and purpose of their lives. To people like myself who have no legends and holy book, the good in us or I will just say me, comes from myself, my family, the spirits. I have photo albums and census records. I have tales my family says that sound weird etc. I learn from them.

Its not in all religions and holy text or legends are not needed to find the greater good. Thats a monotheism outlook. Not all religions share thst way of conveying their expression of good.

I feel you are heavily genenuallizing the entire religious population. Can you see the error in that?

arthra

Baha'i
Baha'i Writings contain moral admonitions and laws that pertain to the individual, the family and larger society. Our upbringing and education are essential to upraising the condition of humanity. In this day the recognition of the oneness of humanity is really the cornerstone to building the foundations for a future world without prejudice, racism, class and promoting peace.

"Every soul of the friends of God must concentrate his mind on this, that he may manifest the mercy of God and the bounty of the Forgiving One. He must do good to every soul whom he encounters, and render benefit to him, becoming the cause of improving the morals and correcting the thoughts so that the light of guidance may shine forth and the bounty of His Holiness the Merciful One may encompass. Love is light in whatsoever house it may shine and enmity is darkness in whatsoever abode it dwell."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - , p. 216

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Both hypothetically and in practice books tend to be of little religious value and worse than useless as moral guides.

The only true exception that comes to mind is the Tao Te Ching, which is well enough crafted to avoid easy answers and encourage wisdom rather than rule-following.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Our books invite people to think for themselves. In one Upanishad, the guru tells the pupil "Son, I have told you what I knew, now go and make further search."

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

A holy book is not needed for people to be, or do, "good."

And every religion out there, - has people that do evil.

GoodbyeDave

Two of the most extensive discussions of morality (which basically agree with each other) come, not from self-styled prophets, but from philosophers: Greek and Chinese. Thinkers like Confucius and Aristotle taught that the good is what contributes to a happy life on earth within the community into which you were born. Our gods do not tell us what to do, although they make it plain that they deplore evil actions, so we have no sacred books.

Sacred texts do not necessarily encourage good behaviour: think of the massacres, ethnic cleansings, and lynchings described in the Old Testament, or the Quranic exhortation to "holy wars".

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Thinkers like Confucius and Aristotle taught that the good is what contributes to a happy life on earth within the community into which you were born.
That is 'dharma' in Hinduism. One can defy Gods but cannot defy 'dharma'. That is why, IMHO, Bali, Kumbhakarna, Bhishma and Karna are remembered lovingly in Hinduism though they were in opposition to Gods.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I believe that many if not all religions have a holy/wise book or a legend that guides the people to be good.

Not really. Most, in fact, don't have any holy/wise book at all.

In these religions/cultures, "goodness" is largely defined and enforced by unspoken consensus of the populations.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
True.
I have met several people who say they would happily kill certain people if not for the ten commandments.

They think the ten commandments take priority over civil laws against murder? o_O

Some people they be funny like clowns. :D