• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Affleck As Batman?

freethinker44

This is going to be a train wreck. They are making a huge mistake using Ben Affleck as Batman. Who knows though, apparently people said the same thing about Heath Ledger as the Joker and he was amazing in that role, so maybe we will be surprised. I just can't picture Ben Affleck as Batman, especially considering he will be competing with Christian Bale's version. He might even beat George Clooney as the worst Batman.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Affleck's films, so I really can't judge.

But remember that one of the finest Batmans was also Beetlejuice.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not a huge fan of Ben Affleck's acting, but I did like his last two films. And Clooney himself has mocked his role as Batman more than once. The problem isn't so much Affleck playing Batman as anybody playing Batman now. Jack Nicholson made an excellent Joker...until Heath Ledger. Alfred was barely a character in the Batman movies, until Michael Caine. Nolan's movies changed the playing field, IMO. The only depiction of "literary" characters (I'm aware of the quality of some of the Batman graphic novels, but the "graphic" part of graphic novels to me still warrants the scare quotes around "literary") is Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes.

Only the fact that it isn't for a Batman movie might this somehow not be completely awful.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not a fan of Batman, and certainly not of the Batman movies, but IMO Ben Affleck is as good as it gets for a Batman actor.

That said, I am not looking forward to that movie. I never enjoyed the rupture of the buddy chemistry between Superman and Batman by Frank Miller in the mid-1980s. And I did not even bother to watch the latest Superman and Batman movies.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And I did not even bother to watch the latest Superman and Batman movies.

You may want to rethink that policy (at least for the Batman trilogy; I didn't realize that Nolan's Superman movie came out yet). None of the batman movies, including the first one of this trilogy, made much of a splash in philosophical, psychological, theological, and social science literature. One expects, especially with the tragic shootings and Ledger's death, greater impact but not necessarily due to more sophisticated plots, narratives, etc.

So it is not particularly surprising to find journals like Journal of Religion & Popular Culture or Perspectives in Psychiatric Care (among many others) to feature articles about one or more of the movies. I have to say, however, that I wouldn't have expected to find articles like "Myeloid-derived suppressor cells: the dark knight or the joker in viral infections?" in a peer-reviewed journal like Immunological Reviews. Nor would one expect the Journal of Internal Medicine to publish, in the letters to the editor section, a paper like "The dark knight of syncope: the urologist!"

And then there's the academic volumes, from Batman & Philosophy: The Dark Knight of the Soul to chapter 2 ("The Best Batman Story: The Dark Knight Returns") of Beautiful Things in Popular Culture.

It's not often one finds everyone from theologians to psychiatrists writing papers in journals about film characters or films.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Because most of what I have seen Affleck in are Kevin Smith movies, I can only laugh thinking of Bartleby playing Batman.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Although Michael Keaton is a fine actor, I couldn't imagine him as Batman. It turned out to be OK. Maybe this will happen again with Affleck. I doubt it, though. ;)

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
This specific comic book they are basing this off requires an older batman (much older) but they toned it down to a 41 year old Ben Affleck.

I do not like Affleck but hopefully he can pull it off or I will be angry. Like freethinker44 said though, my greatest fear is him giving Batman this Bostonian accent.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Just wait till I make it big! Anyway Batman movies need to die.
At least for awhile. There is no other word but pathetic to describe how Hollywood makes a movie series, finishes, and hits the reset button to remake the same movie. IMO, it's up there with dragging out a movie series sequel after sequel. Fast and the Furious needs to end, Saw and Final Destination went on way too long, pretty much every horror that gets a 2 ends up with a 10 or more, Spiderman was dumb, the Hulk was confusing with it's very short time between movie-reboot-new-movie.

Titanic

At least for awhile. There is no other word but pathetic to describe how Hollywood makes a movie series, finishes, and hits the reset button to remake the same movie. IMO, it's up there with dragging out a movie series sequel after sequel. Fast and the Furious needs to end, Saw and Final Destination went on way too long, pretty much every horror that gets a 2 ends up with a 10 or more, Spiderman was dumb, the Hulk was confusing with it's very short time between movie-reboot-new-movie.

Yes, Fast And The Furious, will probably go on till 2050.... I hate unnecessary sequels... Remakes most of all. Once Is more than enough.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I'm of the mindset to just wait and see. You never know. Heath Ledger was considered the "worst" choice for the Joker and blew us all away with his portrayal. So, there you go. :shrug:

freethinker44

I didn't think Christian Bale was that great as batman the voice was awful!

Batman's ongoing stuggle with throat cancer? I always wondered why he still tried to disguise his voice even when he was talking to someone who knew his true identity. Seems unnecessary.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm of the mindset to just wait and see. You never know. Heath Ledger was considered the "worst" choice for the Joker and blew us all away with his portrayal. So, there you go. :shrug:
Yes, but Heath Ledger had no anti-following.
Matt Damon is just one of those guys we love to hate.
I'm hoping he fails miserably.
(Yeah, I am that mean & petty.)