• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Affleck As Batman?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You mean Ben Affleck? I actually like Matt Damon. I don't think he would do well in Batman though, but given the choice between the two, I would choose Damon to play Batman over Affleck.
Oh, yeah.....they seem so interchangeable to me.
I also get Affleck confused with the Aflack duck.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Just wait till I make it big! Anyway Batman movies need to die.

I don't think they need to die, because I actually like them. ^_^

But I do think it's way too soon after the Nolan movies to have him up on the big screen again.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
मैत्रावरुणिः;3468046 said:
Ew. Ben Affleck should be charged with high crimes against acting.

^^^ This.

Me and my friend literally cried when we heard this.

This is a travesty.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Some Batman movies are better than others, but you can compare music, overall feel, casting, plot, costumes, directing and all sorts of things. Also, Batman has appeal to many people. There are people who identify with him believe it or not. Another thing is that Ben has already played the character Daredevil from the Marvel comics universe (Spiderman, Punisher, X-Men...). I'm curious what Ben would do with the role of Batman who is from the DC comic universe (Superman, Wonderwoman, Green Lantern...)

Last edited:

freethinker44

I'm guessing that this is in a completely different universe.

I have no idea. I heard they were trying to make a Justice League movie but had the problem of introducing all the heroes with their own movies, especially Batman since Nolan's trilogy was so fresh and good it would be silly to make another origin story for a Justice League Batman right after Nolan's series ended. Be better to just merge the two franchises, IMO.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I'm of the mindset to just wait and see. You never know. Heath Ledger was considered the "worst" choice for the Joker and blew us all away with his portrayal. So, there you go. :shrug:

As far as Ledger goes, he was already known as a very good actor, though. Affleck is not. Also, I don't remember the reaction to his casting being that vehement. For me personally, I was surprised, but I was open to the possibility. With Affleck, it's harder to be open.

However, I think Chris Evans as Captain America is a better comparison. I had no hope he'd be able to pull of the character. All he had ever played were immature frat-boy types (as far as I knew). He was pretty much the opposite of the older, wise, grizzled authority figure Captain American is supposed to be. Yet he pulled that off amazingly. Maybe Affleck will surprise similarly.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I feel SO out of touch with the zeistgeist of superhero movies now. My age must be showing.

As it turns out, Affleck may well be the only reason for me to even consider seeing this Superman vs Batman movie. Everything else leads me towards ignoring it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I beg to differ. Remember the flack he got for his role in Brokeback Mountain?
I don't remember any attack on his acting ability.
But that could be due to my cluelessness or failing memory.
For your viewing pleasure.....
[youtube]mYUS4v3vyNc[/youtube]
Brokeback Mountain from point of view of the Horses :) - YouTube

LOL that's funny.
I was serious, toots!
(But I get confused which is which....Matt Damon & Ben Affleck, Laverne & Shirley, Cagney & Lacey, Stiller & Meara)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
As far as Ledger goes, he was already known as a very good actor, though. Affleck is not. Also, I don't remember the reaction to his casting being that vehement. For me personally, I was surprised, but I was open to the possibility. With Affleck, it's harder to be open.

I think people tend to underestimate Affleck's work in the industry. It could be because he IS seen as a pretty-boy type and that's an indicator that he has to continue to prove himself with his ability. But Hollywoodland, Gone Baby Gone, Argo, The Town, and his work on Good Will Hunting shows he has done more work in fluff, action, and dramatic film work than what is being considered.

However, I think Chris Evans as Captain America is a better comparison. I had no hope he'd be able to pull of the character. All he had ever played were immature frat-boy types (as far as I knew). He was pretty much the opposite of the older, wise, grizzled authority figure Captain American is supposed to be. Yet he pulled that off amazingly. Maybe Affleck will surprise similarly.

I thought Chris Evans was adequate, and I was also open to the casting. We just don't know how things will go. If this thread will be re-opened later on after Batman vs Superman is released, I predict there will still be Affleck haters everywhere.

In the end, though, I don't think there's that much of a difference between how you and I see the Batman casting. Stranger things have occurred than a successful Batman portrayal by Ben Affleck. :D

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I don't remember any attack on his acting ability.
But that could be due to my cluelessness or failing memory.
For your viewing pleasure.....
[youtube]mYUS4v3vyNc[/youtube]
Brokeback Mountain from point of view of the Horses :) - YouTube

Let's see, "10 Things I Hate About You"..."The Patriot"...and the dance scene in "A Knights Tale". You don't remember that? :D

I don't remember Ledger being seen as a good actor by the public, but he was certainly a nice looking fella. Too bad the public didn't see it that way until after he died from an overdose, and his death and stress and personal story and method acting suddenly became indicators to his commitment to his work.

I was serious, toots!
(But I get confused which is which....Matt Damon & Ben Affleck, Laverne & Shirley, Cagney & Lacey, Stiller & Meara)

I still think it's funny. LOL

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Let's see, "10 Things I Hate About You"..."The Patriot"...and the dance scene in "A Knights Tale". You don't remember that? :D
I never saw any of those.

I don't remember Ledger being seen as a good actor by the public, but he was certainly a nice looking fella. Too bad the public didn't see it that way until after he died from an overdose, and his death and stress and personal story and method acting suddenly became indicators to his commitment to his work.
I don't recall seeing him in anything other than Batman.

Edit: I checked IMDB. Batman is the first time I ever saw him.

I still think it's funny. LOL
Sigh....tis my lot in life....to be laughed at or have cat toys tossed at me.