• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best 1980's Movies

Best 1980's Movie(s)

• Clash of the Titans

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Tootsie

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • This is Spinal Tap

• 48 Hrs.

• Roxanne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Untouchables

• Brazil

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Raging Bull

• Stir Crazy

• The Gods Must Be Crazy

• Rain Man

• The Princess Bride

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • The Terminator

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • The Breakfast Club

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Gandhi

• Scarface

• Blade Runner

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Die Hard

• Raiders of the Lost Ark

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • The Elephant Man

• Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Das Boot

• The Shining

• Aliens

• Back to the Future

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Superman II

• Big

• Full Metal Jacket

• The Last Temptation of Christ

• Total voters

Acim

Revelation all the time
Obviously there are too many to list, so perhaps after this thread decides on what is top 10 to 15, another thread can add in some more and keep the voting going. You can vote for more than one.

I'm not going with "other" category as I realize that would maybe win, so just feel free to add in something you think is for sure top 10 and again I'll look to do another list with some (if not all) of those in there.

These are movies released anytime during 1980 to 1989. While I've included mostly US films, the voting is open to foreign film consideration.

One (and only one) of these first 30 is actually in my top 5. Care to guess which one?

Rakhel

Gees Acim you must be bored. HEHE. I like The breakfast Club and the Princess Bride, but my ultimate favorite of the ones in the list is actually a tie between Die Hard and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

elmarna

The gods must be crazy -is my all time favorite of those in the poll.
What came in 2nd was raiders of the lost ark.
As to your question..
I will say --BIG is the answer to what you would pick.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I haven't seen many of the movies in the poll, but from those i've seen, i voted for Raging Bull and Scarface. I also would've included The Shining, but i forgot to vote for it.

Acim

Revelation all the time
I actually haven't voted yet, but will do so right after this post. I'd like to make request for anyone that has responded, may respond, in that you say how many you voted for. I'd like to have unwritten rule of vote for no more than 10, but less is perfectly fine, and more is obviously not something I, or we, can control (I don't think).

As to your question..
I will say --BIG is the answer to what you would pick.

Nope, not Big, but is very good guess. I really like this film.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Okay, I voted for 10. Limiting myself was very challenging. Some notables left off my list include:

- 48 hrs.
- Gods Must Be Crazy
- The Breakfast Club
- The Elephant Man
- Superman II

All of those would be top 50 for me, especially Elephant Man and Gods Must Be Crazy. But the 10 I chose are pretty much top 25 for me, and feel I had to draw line somewhere.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Surprises me that "Raiders" is ahead of "Empire" so far. But very glad to see "Princess" as high as it is.

elmarna

Funny I was going to say Breakfast club as 1 of you movies!
It was not without a great cast of characters that opened up and found that while the opertunies in life were considered. The opinions that were able to be shared opened their eyes to the truths and formed a social resource that would never had occured without the shareing that happened!

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
The only movie that made me cry ET. At the time it was unique to the movie industry. I know it doesn't stand up to time but it was way ahead of the pack in the 80's

Acim

Revelation all the time
Yeah, it occurred to me about 2 hours after making this thread that I forgot to add ET.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Note: Aliens is clearly the greatest movie of the decade....nay, the greatest movie of all time (in my completely unbiased & totally objective opinion), but
only in the extended version, wherein Ripley awakens from suspended animation to discover that her young daughter had died many years ago of old age.
This theme wonderfully ties together the rest of the movie. Yes, it becomes a chick flick, but with lots'o death, destruction, body horror & a nuclear explosion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL7U4zhkQbo

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
(psssst, Acim, you forgot the Road Warrior, man. Just trying to save you some embarrassment here)