• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best and worst religion/philosophy books you've read?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
When it comes to religion and philosophy, what are the best and worst books you have read on the subjects? Any book over any topic (evidence for/against God, the afterlife, psychology, ethics, non-/dualism, etc.) is perfectly fine.

Skwim

Veteran Member
When it comes to religion and philosophy, what are the best and worst books you have read on the subjects? Any book over any topic (evidence for/against God, the afterlife, psychology, ethics, non-/dualism, etc.) is perfectly fine.
Best.
234ews.jpg

Because it confirmed and cemented my opinion of religion.

Worst.
book_pile-300x189.png

Too many to choose from

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I agree with Skwim, Bertrand Russell is good. For a more "classic" text I prefer Cicero's "De Natura Deorum (On the Nature of the Gods)"

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Beyond Good and Evil, and The Gay Science, both by Nietzsche. The books are not only thought provoking, but witty.

Titanic

I will say to you what another person said to me on this fourm when i asked a similar question. If you do not believe in god get a notebook and write in it there is no god over and over, then that will be the best book about the not for god, if you believe in god write there is a god over and over then that will be the best book for the there is a god agruement. simple as that you do not need anything else.

in_lakech

I Am Another You :)
One of my favorites: The Book of Understanding By Osho

The path to freedom is filled with questions and uncertainty. Is it possible to truly know who we are? Do our lives have a purpose, or are we just accidental? What are we meant to contribute? What are we meant to become, to create, and to share? In The Book of Understanding, Osho, one of the most provocative thinkers of our time, challenges us to understand our world and ourselves in a new and radical way. The first step toward understanding, he says, is to question and doubt all that we have been taught to believe.

All our lives we’ve been handed so-called truths by countless others—beliefs we learned to accept without reason. It is only in questioning our beliefs, assumptions, and prejudices that we can begin to uncover our own unique voice and heal the divisions within us and without.

Once we discover our authentic self, we can embrace all aspects of the human experience—from the earthy, pleasure-loving qualities that characterize Zorba the Greek to the watchful, silent qualities of Gautam the Buddha. We can become whole and live with integrity, able to respond with creativity and compassion to the religious, political, and cultural divides that currently plague our society.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Best: The Sermon on the Mount According to Vedanta by Swami Prabhavananda.

Worst: The Yoga Sutras of Patajnali by Geshe Michael Roach.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
The best I would say is The Iliad? But if that does not count I am going with In Quest of God by Swami Ramdas. It is sort of a cheesey whimsical work but it makes so many nice points to it. Just an inspired book to begin with.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra and Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche. I praise these philosophical literatures on how exactly not to display a view point. They are at the pinnacle of foolery and show the lack of understanding a critique has on religion.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Best/Worst for logic or for meaning?

Well, my favorite for logic but was really hard to read so it wasn't really my favorite but:

anthem.jpg

The worst I can't decide, I don't get into them if I don't find their philosophy good

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Outside of my Bible, I would like to say that Living Buddha, Living Christ by Thich Nhat Hanh is an excellent book- I think he successfully showed the major similarities between the two religions and helped shrink a chasm between the two.
As for worst, I can't say any of them are really bad if someone values them- even if I don't personally value them. :)

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Honestly the best philosophy book I've ever read is Watchmen. Of course, you need to read many other philosophy books first. The worse I have read is probably the NT.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
No "worst," but the best is a book by Alan Watts called, "The Wisdom of Insecurity."

Of course, I haven't read much.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The worst religion book I have read are probably the Spiritist Codification by Allan Kardec. If Spiritism qualifies as a religion, that is.

The best book in the area that I have read is perhaps "The Life You Can Save" by Peter Singer.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does this mean books as in modern works, or does include the older philosophical essays and religious scriptures?

Usually I prefer to read from the earlier sources.

My favorite philosophical works are probably:
-Nicomachean Ethics, by Aristotle
-Nature, and other essays, by Ralph Emerson
-The Myth of Sisyphus, by Albert Camus
-Meditations, by Marcus Aurelius

For religious scriptures:
-My favorite religious texts are probably the Bhagavad Gita and the Mukhya Upanishads.
-I also kind of like the Tao Te Ching.
-The Gospel of Thomas is decent, as well.
-My least favorite texts are probably the Old Testament, the Canon New Testament, and the Qur'an. Those are the ones I found the least value in.

For modern books on religion:
-I like the Origin of Satan, by Elaine Pagels
-Constantine's Sword, by James Carroll, is good too, imo.