• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best meditation sites

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
You’ve probably discovered by now that there is an overwhelming amount of meditation information available online. With so many amazing websites available, how do you find the best blogs, guided meditations, and other resources?

For the full article and list of blogs, try clicking here -

Top 100 Must-Follow Meditation Blogs in the World - Learn To Relax

I love Tiny Buddha so can personally recommend it!

If you have a favourite please feel perfectly free 2 post it ...

Enjoy your day!

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought this thread was about physical sites...
... under a tree
... beside a river
... in a quiet corner or a religious building
... at home in a quiet spot

Oh well.

I think it's about wherever one can attain a meditative state, whether this can be attained in the comfort of a physical site or a mental equanimous presence through focus on sight and/or sound.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I thought this thread was about physical sites...
... under a tree
... beside a river
... in a quiet corner or a religious building
... at home in a quiet spot

Oh well.
Yeah, me too. I was thinking of a nice quiet room, even a bedroom is fine.

I think it's about wherever one can attain a meditative state, whether this can be attained in the comfort of a physical site or a mental equanimous presence through focus on sight and/or sound.
Some of us could happily meditate at the Indy 500. :)

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The OP was about internet guidance sites. A thousand of those are of no value, unless you pick one and do something. Books and talks about practice aren't practice.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
The OP was about internet guidance sites. A thousand of those are of no value, unless you pick one and do something. Books and talks about practice aren't practice.

I agree that many are useless (in fact, I was a bit put off by the "Learn to Relax" part of the title, because as you likely know, relaxation isn't the same as meditation).

But when one wishes to begin to practice meditation and is clueless on how to go about doing so, some of these can be useful as a jumping-off point.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I agree that many are useless (in fact, I was a bit put off by the "Learn to Relax" part of the title, because as you likely know, relaxation isn't the same as meditation).

But when one wishes to begin to practice meditation and is clueless on how to go about doing so, some of these can be useful as a jumping-off point.
Yes I agree, you need some kind of guidance, but in reality it's not all that hard. You or I could give good beginning guidance ... sit still, spine straight, breathe rhythmically etc. From that, the person has to actually use his/her own will to do it. Reading another book or going to another talk won't give you will power. Besides all that, you or I would give this advice for free.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes I agree, you need some kind of guidance, but in reality it's not all that hard. You or I could give good beginning guidance ... sit still, spine straight, breathe rhythmically etc. From that, the person has to actually use his/her own will to do it. Reading another book or going to another talk won't give you will power. Besides all that, you or I would give this advice for free.

Indeed. Meditation, like exercise or any other regimen, requires discipline and commitment.

I think many get discouraged and give up because they're looking of instant gratification through some profound result as soon as they start, just as one gets discouraged after dieting and exercising for a week and not losing 20 pounds in that time frame and gives up.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Indeed. Meditation, like exercise or any other regimen, requires discipline and commitment.

I think many get discouraged and give up because they're looking of instant gratification through some profound result as soon as they start, just as one gets discouraged after dieting and exercising for a week and not losing 20 pounds in that time frame and gives up.

Unrealistic attachment to outcome. But it's a stage.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Not sure if Pema Chodron is in that huge list ...

"Meditation is a process of lightening up, of trusting the basic goodness of what we have and who we are, and of realizing that any wisdom that exists, exists in what we already have. We can lead our life so as to become more awake to who we are and what we’re doing rather than trying to improve or change or get rid of who we are or what we’re doing. The key is to wake up, to become more alert, more inquisitive and curious about ourselves."

~ Pema Chodron

If you want more ...

https://pemachodronfoundation.org/articles/

I can recommend her books - esp "When Things Fall Apart" - not nearly as depressing as you might imagine from the title!

:)

hayleydfranson

You’ve probably discovered by now that there is an overwhelming amount of meditation information available online. With so many amazing websites available, how do you find the best blogs, guided meditations, and other resources?

For the full article and list of blogs, try clicking here -

Top 100 Must-Follow Meditation Blogs in the World - Learn To Relax

I love Tiny Buddha so can personally recommend it!

If you have a favourite please feel perfectly free 2 post it ...

Enjoy your day!
Thanks for the suggestion but I found this site very helpful about meditation https://manifestrich.com/. Anyways, What type of mediation you do on regular basis?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Thanks for the suggestion but I found this site very helpful about meditation https://manifestrich.com/. Anyways, What type of mediation you do on regular basis?

Thanks for the link.

I do a metta meditation several times a day - focusing on treating myself & other beings with kindness.

It is based on a book called "The Mindful Path to self-compassion" that I received as a gift a while back. Well worth checking out if you have the time & the inclination!

Enjoy the rest of your browsing!

:)