• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Bias Incident Reports", not at all creepy or 1984-ish?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Below is the first paragraph from the article linked to. This all seems super-bad to me:

A phenomenon is sweeping many Massachusetts public schools: the “bias incident report.” The inner-ring Boston suburb of Newton (home of Jake Auchincloss, the congressman for the Fourth District) hosts an online portal where a person can report any cases of “hate speech, bias, or discrimination.” Another wealthy suburban district, Acton-Boxborough, lays out a protocol for the reporting and investigation of “all incidents of bias, including prejudice, bigotry, microaggressions and cultural appropriation.” Belmont, Lexington, and Wellesley are among other elite suburbs with these kinds of protocols, though their emergence is not confined to wealthy districts: Boston Public Schools has its own “equity” reporting form.

I know, let's make every kid in school suspicious of every other kid, what could go wrong? (argh)

Massachusetts Schools Install ‘Bias Incident’ Regime | City Journal

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Below is the first paragraph from the article linked to. This all seems super-bad to me:

I know, let's make every kid in school suspicious of every other kid, what could go wrong? (argh)

I can see having a way to report instances of discrimination and hate speech, but "microaggressions and cultural appropriation" seems going a bit too far. That's also far too subjective to make it actionable.

18d82c62-6e43-4a2b-9574-008cd91c4292_text.gif

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I can see having a way to report instances of discrimination and hate speech, but "microaggressions and cultural appropriation" seems going a bit too far. That's also far too subjective to make it actionable.

18d82c62-6e43-4a2b-9574-008cd91c4292_text.gif
And even discrimination and "hate speech" are sometimes hard to classify.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
And even discrimination and "hate speech" are sometimes hard to classify.

True, although it can also be pretty obvious and blatant at times, so at least they can deal with those instances. If there's some reasonable doubt or gray area, then it might be more difficult to tackle.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!

And it's anonymous too. Perfect for abuse. Sounds like a 'C.Y.A.' policy because of a law:

"...Moreover, insufficient efforts to address alleged “hate incidents” may put the school in violation of the state’s Anti-Discrimination Act."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Three guesses as to the political disposition of the school board and administration.

Hint: Jake Auchincloss (D)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I think it's a sound policy to have mechanisms in place for reporting and investigating possible incidents of discrimination and hate speech. Many developed countries already have laws against both. I would assume a report would be—or at least should be—followed up by an investigation to determine its veracity rather than immediate action.

"Cultural appropriation" and "microaggressions" seem to me much more open-ended and prone to abuse, so I'm more skeptical of including those in the reporting system.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'd say that's a bit more than bullying.
So would I, but what would be considered harassment or assault if done by adults would often be handwaved away as "boys being boys", even going as far to suggest that it helps build character.

Of course I'm speaking of experience from over 25 years ago.