• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Definition of Pastor

JerDriver

What is the biblical definition of a pastor? Is there such a thing - biblically speaking - of a full time pastor being fully supported financially for those that gather with them? What are the specific roles of a pastor? And how much money should a pastor make?

With the growth of mega churches (I’m a mega church member), it seems like the pastor has become more of a CEO, than what I understand is the biblical definition of “pastor”.

So, perhaps my understanding is incorrect. Respectfully, how does Scripture define pastor?

InChrist

Free4ever
What is the biblical definition of a pastor? Is there such a thing - biblically speaking - of a full time pastor being fully supported financially for those that gather with them? What are the specific roles of a pastor? And how much money should a pastor make?

With the growth of mega churches (I’m a mega church member), it seems like the pastor has become more of a CEO, than what I understand is the biblical definition of “pastor”.

So, perhaps my understanding is incorrect. Respectfully, how does Scripture define pastor?
When I think of a biblical pastor, I think of one who leads and cares for church members with a Christ-like, serving heart and mentality, rather than a CEO corporate head mindset. Jesus used the image of a shepherd caring for sheep.
The link below highlights some verses applicable to pastors.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

There are three words that comprise the embodiment of “pastor” - that being pastor, elder, and bishop. You can find the qualifications in the letters to Titus and Timothy

Their responsibilities is basically to care for and feed the sheep along with apostles, prophets, evangelists and teachers.

One could say that the first megachurch was in Jerusalem where 3,000 believed on Jesus in one day and 5,000 more not too long after.

The basis for “full time” is basically following the Levitical Priesthood and even the life of Jesus and the Apostles.

In reality, any position can be right or wrong. If it is just a business for “the pastor”, then indeed he is a CEO. But if the heart is a pastor then he is simply the senior pastor as was James in the megachurch of Jerusalem. (Some say it was James and others say it was Peter - but the point is the same).

Did that help?