• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bindis

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah, this I can answer. :D And it's straight from a genuine Indian lady.

First, there's a slight difference between bindi and tilak. Bindi is pretty much a fashion item now, often matching the color of the outfit the lady wears. Bindi used to indicate the woman was married. Men do not wear bindi, but tilak. Women wear tilak also.

Tilak indicates the sampradaya one follows (generalization here): Vaishnava are usually a U shape on the forehead between the eyebrows; Shaiva are 3 horizontal lines across the forehead. In both cases a tilak is placed at the very center between the eyebrows, signifying the third (internal) eye.

Even I put on tilak of kumkum at temple. I'm getting better at it. The first one or two times I did it, I got carried away and my forehead looked like someone took a Louisville Slugger to it. :facepalm:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Btw, this is something I don't know... what is the rose-colored paste or liquid that is applied before the kumkum powder? Is is sandalwood paste mixed with red kumkum to make the powder stick better?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Never heard of it ... sandalwood is yellow ... maybe there has been too much backward dipping ... kumkum first, and then the sandalwood got tainted .. that can happen.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
do you wear one? do you think they should be a basic red dot or can they be done in a variety ?

I wear one to and from temple, but not in public. I've answered the questions enough already. But I'm a guy. Women are more likely to wear them, but as decoration, no of any real significance any more.

I prefer basic red dot, and it you want to make a perfect kumkum one, use the eraser of a pencil. Moisten it first.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Never heard of it ... sandalwood is yellow ... maybe there has been too much backward dipping ... kumkum first, and then the sandalwood got tainted .. that can happen.

Yeah, I thought sandalwood paste is yellow. So does sandalwood paste go on as the base for the kumkum powder, or does something else? One night whatever this was, was so thin it looked like pink lemonade; last night it looked like pink mortar.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No idea ... none at all ... nadda ... maybe that place isn't a real Hindu temple after all .... you've been hoodwinked. (Kidding) Maybe you should ask your priest friend.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It'll be a real temple on July 1. :D I'll ask at the office, the priests are usually busy. The lady in the office took a liking to me too because I printed a stack of pictures of deities on glossy photo paper so they can sell and make a few $$ for the temple.

Someone should come up with stick-on tilaks in the various styles, like the stickers kids put all over the place, or like temporary tattoos.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Someone should come up with stick-on tilaks in the various styles, like the stickers kids put all over the place, or like temporary tattoos.

Uhhh... You really haven't been to many Indian stores have you? These things exist on-line ... in abundance. ;)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't been to any Indian stores. I don't know where they all are exactly (street addresses) but I know what towns they're in... all about an hour away from me. I'm just about to look on-line. That's where I've gotten everything else.

Btw, I found videos on how to wrap a dhoti.

[youtube]Uef6PR_Leic[/youtube]
How to wear Dhoti - YouTube

[youtube]7cG7P5Xn1lE[/youtube]
HOW TO WEAR A DHOTI-VRINDAVAN STYLE. - YouTube

It doesn't look hard at all, and you're right... they are not just wrapped around, hanging down like an evening gown. That's what I see the men wearing at temple. Maybe that's south Indian style, I dunno.

I like the styles in these videos.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
Btw, this is something I don't know... what is the rose-colored paste or liquid that is applied before the kumkum powder? Is is sandalwood paste mixed with red kumkum to make the powder stick better?
The rose colored paste would be lime wash, to make the kumkum stick better. But mostly sandalwood paste is used for this purpose because it smells better :D. Of course, it could be what Vinayaka suggested - backward dipping.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. So then people are dipping into the kumkum then into the lime wash? I found that by using a tiny dab of the paste, then a tiny dab of the kumkum, I'm beginning to make a pretty good tilak. The nights it was watery was when the tilak looked like I got whacked on the forehead because it smeared.

ya i actually read it wasnt just for marriage that men wore them too. what do u think of people wearing them to symbolize their faith

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably no different than people who wear a visible cross or Star of David. The curious looks come when a non-Indian wears a tilak or bindi. Though there are bindis that run the gamut from the archetypal small dot to glittery butterflies and hearts. Those are more fashion statements than anything else. As a western white Hindu, would I walk around wearing a Vaishnav tilak? Probably not; not any more than I would wear a dhoti, unless I were going to temple.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
ya i actually read it wasnt just for marriage that men wore them too. what do u think of people wearing them to symbolize their faith

When I was in India, I wore it ALL the time. But here, its just begging to be stared at., or worse. Being a shy guy, its the last thing I need. :) (as a guy) but I think there will be a time perhaps when the world is not such an intolerant place, and people can feel comfortable being who they are.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear mocharadha ,

do you wear one? do you think they should be a basic red dot or can they be done in a variety ?

basic red kumkum, for maried women worn in the center of the tilak with a dash of kumkum in the parting of the hair , yes I wear for the temple but not everyday allthough if I were in india I would , here people might think it just an afectation ?

but I love it when I see devotees of particular sects wearing tilak as you can tell their tradition it is just nice to see .

I dont like the plastic or jeweled bindi , seem false I like the ritual of applying especialy the tilak as vaisnava tilak is conciderded the lords foot print :)

kasturbaa (gandhi's wife)called the bindi marking a happiness spot , refusing to see it as a simbol of subserviance .