• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bird Back from the Dead?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
The Ivory Billed Woodpecker, the largest of the American woodpecker family has for 50 years been thought to be extinct. Birders and Scientists have held out hope that the bird has held on deep in the swamps of Southern America and possibly Cuba, so much hope that the bird is still listed in many bird guides... Just in case.:jiggy:

A scientific expidition spent a year in the "Big Woods" area and came up with a four second piece of evidence. A shot of the bird (blurry but identifyable) flying away from the camera. The crow sized bird has distinctive black and white markings making Identification relitively easy. :woohoo:

With so many speices dying out around us its heartlifting to find out that one may have survived. Lets hope that they can keep hanging on! :jam:

articles and link to the footage here:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7319

seagull

painted wolf said:
The Ivory Billed Woodpecker, the largest of the American woodpecker family has for 50 years been thought to be extinct. Birders and Scientists have held out hope that the bird has held on deep in the swamps of Southern America and possibly Cuba, so much hope that the bird is still listed in many bird guides... Just in case.:jiggy:

A scientific expidition spent a year in the "Big Woods" area and came up with a four second piece of evidence. A shot of the bird (blurry but identifyable) flying away from the camera. The crow sized bird has distinctive black and white markings making Identification relitively easy. :woohoo:

With so many speices dying out around us its heartlifting to find out that one may have survived. Lets hope that they can keep hanging on! :jam:

articles and link to the footage here:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7319

Bush's Clear Skies Initiative should help with clearing the skies of those annoying Woodpeckers!

wwp2.jpg

ayani

painted, that's cool.

i bet if there's at least one male still alive down there, there's gotta be more of 'em.

bivivorybilledbrehmsgustavmutzel.jpg

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Woo! Let's hear it for the little guy! :D I've always had a soft spot for woodpeckers... I'm glad a species hasn't gone extinct. Do you know if there are any plans to try and capture a few for breeding?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
well first they have to confirm that there are more than one sole survivor. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

If there are enough capive breeding may be an option, but captive breeding has its own problems. Hopefully there is a small but healthy population that just needs some good TLC. :D

Worst case then he is the last, they live for up to 20 years, our fellow may the only surviving 'chick' from a clutch layed more than a decade ago.

we won't know for sure untill more reserch is done... I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and pray for the best. :woohoo:

wa:do

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is HUGE! -- Like discovering a Stegosaur browsing your cornfield! Birding clubs from here to Zanzibar are going to be beside themselves!

Apparently there have been well-documented sightings going back several years. Cornell U. got wind of this and funded an exploratory expedition. After visual and video confirmation they sat on it for a year while adjacent properties were bought up and the legal protectionist issues were researched.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
That is great news PW . :) I hope that the habitat can be found to bring the Ivory-billed back .