• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blaspheming The Holy Spirit!

Shermana

Heretic
With that said, arguments about the existence of God and Supernatural concepts should pertain to individual threads about those subjects, otherwise EVERY thread can be highjacked into an issue about the fundamentals instead of discussing the theological specifics in question. I'll be happy to engage in the 124516th discussion on the existence of such and Empirical issues of Epistemology on an appropriate thread.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Well stated, its one of things that many non believers such as myself often ignore: the difference between 'does not exist' and 'probably does not exist' or 'does not need to exist'; probably because of getting stuck in outdated modes of discourse.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Well stated, its one of things that many non believers such as myself often ignore: the difference between 'does not exist' and 'probably does not exist' or 'does not need to exist'; probably because of getting stuck in outdated modes of discourse.

Indeed. Assertive statements on the general fundamentals that attempt to shift the burden of proof do no good for debates on specific issues about the particular Theological particulars, it gets us nowhere closer to objective discussion and dialogue and simply serves as proof of inability to actually debate beyond a few slogans and mantras, just a spiral of thread derailment.

thau

For the record since I don't believe I have ever spoken with you (unless you have changed your name) and therefore likely you do not know what my theological position is, I am a user of the ignostic (no not agnostic) approach to theological positions (though I am not strictly an ignostic). I suppose if it makes it easier for you to understand I do not believe in anything that you would likely consider a god, but I am not atheistic. I do not want to be god, I do not believe any god (which actually exists) is anything more than a term we give to a psychological construction of humans (or other intelligent beings) as such he/she/it/they can make no rules, but rather believers in god(s) make rules and either believe or pretend to believe that they are divine rules. It may be possible for god(s) to exist (depending on how one defines the term) but I do not believe in any other than as natural concepts such as psychological constructions or as a term given to natural laws etc.
Yes, all well and good, forgive me for taking any risks. My words accusing you of something I could not possibly know were not meant to be arrogant or as such. They are merely a guess on my part and a challenge on my part to tell me I am wrong, which you could easily do. Having said that, it is true that there are many out there who may accept God exists but are in many ways rejecting him because of how his code of morals and laws are presented in Scripture, or, in my case, by the Catholic Church.
To the rest of your comment: Humans (specifically the Catholic Church) are not pretending to believe to believe they are divine rules. No one is pretending, we are quite certain when it comes to dogma and doctrine. Just because some portions differ with Protestant versions is of no concern to us or me. The fact you don’t believe that there is any evidence for God neither strikes me as unusual nor causes the slightest reason for pause in my own beliefs.

If his/her/it's/their thoughts are 'above' (or rather more fully developed than) my own thoughts, that would merely mean that they have additional reasoning - which would mean that upon further consideration that it would be possible (though perhaps impractical) for us to arrive at the same conclusion. See the problem is, there is no reason to suggest that 'my thoughts are above yours' implies that it can fail to meet even mere human levels of intelligence or ethics, if god is 'above' us then there should clearly be a far more accurate and elegant refutation of my position, one that I would therefore be willing to engage with were it to presented to me.
No, not in all cases. Some mysteries and some revelations are not meant for man to know. Call it a portion of the faith our Lord asks of us. (Paraphasing: After suffering many setbacks, obedient Job finally lost his patience and spoke angrily towards God demanding an explanation. God’s response to Job was such: He asked Job to answer some very difficult mystical or age old questions such as How were the planets and stars set in place? And so on. The Lord then said to Job, when you can answer my questions then I will answer yours. Until then, know who you are and what is asked of you from I your creator and be faithful in that which cannot be known.)

So then why is blasphemy / non belief more deserving of punishment than genocide? Go for it. Now perhaps it is impossible for you to do so, that would not of course inherently mean some god(s) could not refute my reasoning (that would be a ridiculous assertion), however it would demonstrate that I have no rational reason to assume that it is reasonable that blasphemy / non belief is orders of magnitude more deserving of punishment than observable outcomes of real negative behavior.
It is because the Holy of Holies says so and that is all. God forgives all sin and man is so selfish and so weak he is capable of the most despicable of acts. But first of all, no one, not even the Catholic Church, is dogmatic as what is meant by the act of “blaspheming the Holy Spirit.” Consequently, they are merely surmising and they admit as much, which means your contention may be without merit.
Anyway, I will say this. The extremely rare and privileged saints who were allowed a glimpse of heaven or even of the “Father some mist” --- the most prominent and impacting description they would first and foremost say was “Holy! Holy! Holy!” So that says something to me. As does the Book of Revelations which says “Nothing defiled shall enter the kingdom of heaven.” Protestants need to take note of that because the Word is not talking about those who go to hell – obviously. It is speaking of the saved who come in filthy rags because of their disobedience, they / we need to be made pure in purgatory, undefiled. But here is my parallel I am taking a lot of words to get to: If any man thinks he can say the most vile and offensive and vulgar things about God, and KNOWINGLY does so, he is accountable for something more grave than death or even murder. And the same goes (in my opinion) if he should say vulgar evil things about the Mother of God, the Virgin Mary. They have been warned! I quite imagine the hurt would be extreme if we witnessed someone verbally abusing and being vulgar and nasty towards our own mothers. Consider God to be human in that way.

Which god(s)? Because if any of the other gods are real and the one(s) you adhere to is not - you are committing blasphemy and yet there is no way to suggest that the god(s) that you happen to believe in are the correct ones if there even are god(s) to begin with which there is no way to suggest need be the case. Perhaps a little humility with regards to your assertion of theological claims might be in order.
I will grant you that for sure. My lack of humility is my sin. It is the greatest of virtues and there is not even one virtue if humility is not present --- says a very famous saint I cannot recall. But to your charge: No I would not be guilty of blasphemy if their god turned out to be the only god. Nor would Buddhists or Muslims be guilty of blasphemy by not believing in the Judeo-Christian God --- that would be absurd, IMO. But if a believer of another faith or an agnostic, et al. were well schooled in what the Christian faith taught and they then very deliberately set out to “greatly offend” the beliefs and cherished deity by committing vulgar acts upon such icons or images for others to see and be hurt --- well, I contend they are KNOWINGLY taking the risk and do not care. When I say knowingly, they are saying to themselves (“Even if there is a one in a million chance the Christians are right I do not care I hate their God I hate their faith and I will gladly violate their feelings and their God because it gives me pleasure and if I am wrong, too bad.”) That may very well be the kind of blasphemy referred to in that passage.

I know, a lot of words, and a good deal of speculation. But at this time it makes very good sense to me. Again, no offense intended.

InformedIgnorance

No, not in all cases. Some mysteries and some revelations are not meant for man to know. Call it a portion of the faith our Lord asks of us. (Paraphasing: After suffering many setbacks, obedient Job finally lost his patience and spoke angrily towards God demanding an explanation. God’s response to Job was such: He asked Job to answer some very difficult mystical or age old questions such as How were the planets and stars set in place? And so on. The Lord then said to Job, when you can answer my questions then I will answer yours. Until then, know who you are and what is asked of you from I your creator and be faithful in that which cannot be known.)
The problem being that we can answer ALL of the questions god supposedly put to job (none of which would require a god), we merely needed more information than job had at the time.

So then what of the answers to our questions? not forthcoming at least none recently in terms of divine revelation; instead our intellects provided the answers and so very many more (which the author of that passage simply did not know enough about reality to form cogent questions). It is through examination of reality, our surroundings, the composition and behavior of the universe itself and in such a domain there appears no relevancy for the concept of 'blasphemy' other than in the offence taken by the minds of adherents. Certainly this appears to be the only place we have yet discovered any outcome of blasphemy or non belief - in people's thoughts, a pure and utter underwhelming scope of impact and suggests that blasphemy is little more import than saying something a person finds insulting about their football team, or their wife or their figure - a strongly held emotional and intellectual construct. And as such I consider blasphemy in much the same way as any discourse which can cause offence to something a person holds dear, it can be a legitimately offensive subject; but it is very far from 'special' and anyone who compares such 'offence' to actual negative outcomes such as the victimisation of having been raped or having a family member murdered (let alone suggests it is worse) has a mental illness.

It is because the Holy of Holies says so and that is all. God forgives all sin and man is so selfish and so weak he is capable of the most despicable of acts. But first of all, no one, not even the Catholic Church, is dogmatic as what is meant by the act of “blaspheming the Holy Spirit.” Consequently, they are merely surmising and they admit as much, which means your contention may be without merit.
Incorrect. The simply fact that they find it difficult to identify what the alleged crime pertains to does not mean that questioning the supposed punishment for it and comparing that against other supposed punishments is an exercise without merit - nor does it change the fact that one of these 'crimes' has no observable negative outcomes and therefore no rational reason why any non believer would conclude that it was indeed a crime in the first place let alone one that is worse than something such as genocide which has significant, easily observable and high impact negative outcomes. It is a legitimate question about priorities.

Anyway, I will say this. The extremely rare and privileged saints who were allowed a glimpse of heaven or even of the “Father some mist” --- the most prominent and impacting description they would first and foremost say was “Holy! Holy! Holy!” So that says something to me. As does the Book of Revelations which says “Nothing defiled shall enter the kingdom of heaven.” Protestants need to take note of that because the Word is not talking about those who go to hell – obviously. It is speaking of the saved who come in filthy rags because of their disobedience, they / we need to be made pure in purgatory, undefiled. But here is my parallel I am taking a lot of words to get to: If any man thinks he can say the most vile and offensive and vulgar things about God, and KNOWINGLY does so, he is accountable for something more grave than death or even murder. And the same goes (in my opinion) if he should say vulgar evil things about the Mother of God, the Virgin Mary. They have been warned! I quite imagine the hurt would be extreme if we witnessed someone verbally abusing and being vulgar and nasty towards our own mothers. Consider God to be human in that way.
Oh I consider the concept of god very much in human terms - which is why this particular paragraph is so very disconcerting - that you seem to honestly believe that a supposedly infinite being (with infinite justice / infinite compassion etc) can be so wronged by a finite transgression by a finite being, that it would infinitely more deserving of infinite punishment than those actions that the finite being can reasonably be expected with its finite comprehension to be able to foresee as negative outcomes within its finitely observable environment. It bespeaks a mode of judgement that either dismisses the importance of our actual effects on others (instead being infinitely self absorbed) or ignores our finite capabilities (instead being infinitely unrealistic in its expectations) and thus unjust.

I know, a lot of words, and a good deal of speculation. But at this time it makes very good sense to me. Again, no offense intended.
And yet the same can be said of others, for which you suggest they deserve eternal punishment. Now I admit I am very far from perfect, arrogance is but one of many vices I hold. I am not however a rapist, nor a murderer, I have never knowingly inflicted harm that could be avoided on others (with the exception of some rather callous words when I was a child over I feel regret). However I was born into and raised by a catholic family and am well versed in many aspects of theology, I do not believe as I was raised to believe and while I do not consider it appropriate to offend for the sake of offence, or indeed to do so (at least while I am speaking to those I have reason to believe might take offence) when there are equally effective mechanisms by which to achieve my objectives without offence - I do not believe it appropriate to pretend that faith is the one area of discourse that so well conceived that it is without criticism and I consider that it is appropriate that at times this include blasphemy not as an end but as a means. I have committed blasphemy so many times that I would not even bother to try and estimate the number, as far as I can conclude from all my experiences of reality there are no victims of blasphemy except those religious people whom choose to take offence; certainly the impact on them is far less than the impact of a rapist on their victim - yet your words suggest that raping someone is not as bad as saying something that offends them. I am sorry, but that is Psychotic it bespeaks a significant divergence from reality.

Last edited:

thau

The problem being that we can answer ALL of the questions god supposedly put to job (none of which would require a god), we merely needed more information than job had at the time.
Oh, I seriously doubt it. The mere fact a single human cell has thousands of machines inside it working harmoniously with brilliant creations is just far too spellbinding for me to ever consider it all came about by chance. The only answer to that masterpiece is God.
It is through examination of reality, our surroundings, the composition and behavior of the universe itself and in such a domain there appears no relevancy for the concept of 'blasphemy' other than in the offence taken by the minds of adherents. Certainly this appears to be the only place we have yet discovered any outcome of blasphemy or non belief - in people's thoughts, a pure and utter underwhelming scope of impact and suggests that blasphemy is little more import than saying something a person finds insulting about their football team, or their wife or their figure - a strongly held emotional and intellectual construct.
Your task is simple. Go discover the reality of the Judeo-Christian G-d and all your ideas about blasphemy will change. Once the One and only God becomes the premise for all discussions, the answers change for almost every question or issue.
Incorrect. The simply fact that they find it difficult to identify what the alleged crime pertains to does not mean that questioning the supposed punishment for it and comparing that against other supposed punishments is an exercise without merit - nor does it change the fact that one of these 'crimes' has no observable negative outcomes and therefore no rational reason why any non believer would conclude that it was indeed a crime in the first place let alone one that is worse than something such as genocide which has significant, easily observable and high impact negative outcomes. It is a legitimate question about priorities.
Again, I do not get the hangup here? Is the blasphemy charge Exhibit ‘A’ which you present to argue for the unreasonableness a God of the Bible could exist? There are scores of supernatural miracles indicating Jesus Christ and none other. Couple that with all other arguments and evidence for Christ and nothing else makes sense… be it atheism, or any other religion’s god. And for you to suggest spiritual mischief has no impact on the physical universe or lives of earthlings is simply a bold contention of spurious bases, IMO. No chance.
Oh I consider the concept of god very much in human terms - which is why this particular paragraph is so very disconcerting - that you seem to honestly believe that a supposedly infinite being (with infinite justice / infinite compassion etc) can be so wronged by a finite transgression by a finite being, that it would infinitely more deserving of infinite punishment than those actions that the finite being can reasonably be expected with its finite comprehension to be able to foresee as negative outcomes within its finitely observable environment. It bespeaks a mode of judgement that either dismisses the importance of our actual effects on others (instead being infinitely self absorbed) or ignores our finite capabilities (instead being infinitely unrealistic in its expectations) and thus unjust.
Well, I think I have covered this point enough. But do not lose sight of the fact that no one is saying with any certainty what exactly Jesus meant by “blaspheming the Holy Spirit” so your presumptions are just that --- highly presumptuous.
Having said that, I do not doubt uttering despicable vulgar words openly towards the God who created you and loves you carries with it immeasurable yet indescribable pain.

…I do not believe it appropriate to pretend that faith is the one area of discourse that so well conceived that it is without criticism and I consider that it is appropriate that at times this include blasphemy not as an end but as a means. I have committed blasphemy so many times that I would not even bother to try and estimate the number, as far as I can conclude from all my experiences of reality there are no victims of blasphemy except those religious people whom choose to take offence; certainly the impact on them is far less than the impact of a rapist on their victim - yet your words suggest that raping someone is not as bad as saying something that offends them. I am sorry, but that is Psychotic it bespeaks a significant divergence from reality.
Thanks. By the way, calling God psychotic is just without any sense. I also think you are discussing two kinds of transgressions. Natural moral law is almost universally understood and we almost all understand this in our being and conscience. Yes, we are all judged accordingly --- not just what did to others, but equally important, what we failed to do for others (charity, kindness, tolerance, etc.)
The blasphemy charge --- again, you have no idea if you have blasphemed in the Biblical sense or not --- you are taking too much delight in using this for some assumed advantage of yours to oddly make a case for innocence? Oh, it’s all kind of unnecessary to me. If you think God is unproven or not out there, I would think you could come up with many other easier to conceive reasons. But it is still a fruitless endeavor, not to mention thankless and ill-conceived, IMO.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Oh, I seriously doubt it. The mere fact a single human cell has thousands of machines inside it working harmoniously with brilliant creations is just far too spellbinding for me to ever consider it all came about by chance. The only answer to that masterpiece is God.

Isn't God a far more brilliant and spellbinding an entity than a human cell?

If you can't imagine a human cell coming to existence without a creator, then how can you imagine something even more complex than a human cell coming into existence without a creator?

Last edited:

InformedIgnorance

http://www.ccel.org/contrib/exec_outlines/job/job_08.htm said:
QUESTIONS POSED TO JOB (38:4-39:30)
1. Questions concerning the Creation (38:4-15)
a. Related to the earth
b. Related to the sea
c. Related to the morning and dawn
2. Questions concerning inanimate nature (38:16-38)
a. Regarding the depths and expanses of the earth, and the gates of death
b. Regarding the way of light, and the place of darkness
c. Regarding the weather, and the scattering of light and wind
d. Regarding the stars with their constellations
e. Regarding the floods
3. Questions concerning animate nature (38:39-39:30)
a. Respecting the nourishment for lions and ravens
b. Respecting the procreation of mountain goats and deer
c. Respecting the freedom of the wild donkey
d. Respecting the strength of the wild ox
d. Respecting the stupidity of the ostrich
e. Respecting the horse in battle
f. Respecting the flight of the hawk, and the nesting of the eagle
Every single one of these has been answered; the most tricky (due to the sentence being nonsensical at least in english translations) is that of the light and darkness one, because light does not 'dwell' or 'reside' and darkness does not exist.

Your task is simple. Go discover the reality of the Judeo-Christian G-d and all your ideas about blasphemy will change. Once the One and only God becomes the premise for all discussions, the answers change for almost every question or issue.
In which case one must be able to identify a reason why blasphemy could be considered to be worse than rape, murder and/or torture. Have you identified any objective reason why you could consider rape, murder and/or torture less detrimental than blasphemy? Have you discovered some tangible evidence of an objectively negative outcome of blasphemy other than merely how believers feel offence?

Again, I do not get the hangup here? Is the blasphemy charge Exhibit ‘A’ which you present to argue for the unreasonableness a God of the Bible could exist? There are scores of supernatural miracles indicating Jesus Christ and none other. Couple that with all other arguments and evidence for Christ and nothing else makes sense… be it atheism, or any other religion’s god. And for you to suggest spiritual mischief has no impact on the physical universe or lives of earthlings is simply a bold contention of spurious bases, IMO. No chance.
I do not understand your conflation. All I have stated was that if such a being had the priorities you have stipulated with regards to the central importance of blasphemy, then it's priorities are incredibly flawed - it is either extremely self absorbed or else that it is demonstrating extremely unrealistic expectations of something that it supposedly knows very well cannot meet those expectations (and is thus knowingly being unjust), neither one of those implies god does not exist, or even that the christian god does not exist and hold the priorities you allege - all it does is demonstrate that were the later the case (which again I doubt) it is an unjust god. I could expect better from a mere finite (mortal) judge, let alone an infinite one.

Well, I think I have covered this point enough. But do not lose sight of the fact that no one is saying with any certainty what exactly Jesus meant by “blaspheming the Holy Spirit” so your presumptions are just that --- highly presumptuous.

Having said that, I do not doubt uttering despicable vulgar words openly towards the God who created you and loves you carries with it immeasurable yet indescribable pain.
Oh, and this claim of yours is not presumptuous?

What does such a set of priorities imply about such a god? It would suggest that someone acting in such a way that it might feel sad because not everyone holds reference to it to be so sacred (though the effect of your outcomes when applied to an infinite being would likely be infinitely minute) is considered worse than someone acting in such a way as to inflict misery on millions of victims of a genocide, or the acute and chronic feelings of helplessness and violation, of anger and disgust experienced by a victim of rape, or the prolonged and extensive misery and degradation experienced by the victim of torture. It implies an extraordinary divorcement from reality.

Which by definition is psychotic; I am not using this term for cheap laughs or to cause offense - I mean these alleged priorities would indicate a desire for adherents to manifest psychosis (by definition) and in that respect is of itself psychotic.

Thanks. By the way, calling God psychotic is just without any sense. I also think you are discussing two kinds of transgressions. Natural moral law is almost universally understood and we almost all understand this in our being and conscience. Yes, we are all judged accordingly --- not just what did to others, but equally important, what we failed to do for others (charity, kindness, tolerance, etc.)
Wonderful.

The blasphemy charge --- again, you have no idea if you have blasphemed in the Biblical sense or not --- you are taking too much delight in using this for some assumed advantage of yours to oddly make a case for innocence? Oh, it’s all kind of unnecessary to me. If you think God is unproven or not out there, I would think you could come up with many other easier to conceive reasons. But it is still a fruitless endeavor, not to mention thankless and ill-conceived, IMO.
And these non natural laws (called such because you labelled the others natural laws) is where we get into what is known as psychosis, what you are suggesting at the moment, is that there are non detectable outcomes of actions that are more important than those we can detect or can be reliably inferred (in an earlier post I wrote a parallel in a spoiler tag if you woud like to see a secular example of this). It is extremely well conceived to act in a manner rational to the universe and observable phenomenon around us, it is an absurdity to discount the universe around us in favour of a claimed, undetectable aspect of existence. And were 'god(s)' to expect us to do so, it would indicate an expectation to act in a psychotic manner; this seems unlikely on the face of it but even more so once applied to particular god concepts, such as the christian god where it would seem highly dubious were he to want us to engage in psycosis. It simply does not make sense.

If there is a creator god, I am grateful to it - however that is irrelevant to this discussion (and indeed we can discuss it elsewhere if you like) as gratefulness to a proposed entity in no way suggests that I 'should' be respectful of other peoples' comprehension of proposed entities, nor even were THEIR proposed entity to actually exist while my proposed entity did not; none of this would indicate a scenario in which it would be rational to consider alleged negative outcomes in an undetectable aspect of existence to be more important than verifiable negative outcomes.

Last edited:

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!

If you can't imagine a human cell coming to existence without a creator, then how can you imagine something even more complex than a human cell coming into existence without a creator?

I would argue that God is a human cell, or atleast, a human cell is part of God. Within a single human cell lies a million universes.

thau

Before I go on; are you saying you can imagine a human cell with thousands hyper-complex machines coming into being without an intelligent designer / creator?

To your point about (paraphrase) "well if this cell needed a creator than why would not the more impressive creator need a creator?" ---- no one can answer that. Nor can anyone answer where matter came from. But that in no way destroys the reason behind the question "how could this cell have created itself without an intelligent designer?"

You see a beautiful painting. Is anyone arguing that this painting assembled itself by chance with no designer or creator needed? No. Nor is anyone saying "Until you tell me who created the painter himself I refuse to acknowledge painting needed a painter." IOW, my point or question remains valid and logical, independent of your conundrum.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Before I go on; are you saying you can imagine a human cell with thousands hyper-complex machines coming into being without an intelligent designer / creator?

To your point about (paraphrase) "well if this cell needed a creator than why would not the more impressive creator need a creator?" ---- no one can answer that. Nor can anyone answer where matter came from. But that in no way destroys the reason behind the question "how could this cell have created itself without an intelligent designer?"

You see a beautiful painting. Is anyone arguing that this painting assembled itself by chance with no designer or creator needed? No. Nor is anyone saying "Until you tell me who created the painter himself I refuse to acknowledge painting needed a painter." IOW, my point or question remains valid and logical, independent of your conundrum.

Matter and Energy: A False Dichotomy | Of Particular Significance

It should also be noted that the human cell while complex, there are other cells far less complex than the human cell, and then you get into viruses which are encapsulated DNA or RNA.

thau

Every single one of these has been answered; the most tricky (due to the sentence being nonsensical at least in english translations) is that of the light and darkness one, because light does not 'dwell' or 'reside' and darkness does not exist.
Even if I accept your answers to God’s questions, you are not here to tell me that science has even scratched the surface to the most difficult questions about life, creation and the universe are you? Or do I have to accept DNA molecules formed from some rock soup and the Big Bang is a fact? And where matter came from, well, we will leave that for another day? The point is, God is very real and very evident to even a 6th grader. But if science is hell-bent on trying to prove nothing needed a God to exist and there is no evidence for Him, well… it’s the Tower of Babel revisited, two millionth edition. God is telling mankind in those passages that He/God has revealed enough for us to know who He is and what is our purpose. But if we are going to demand more, obstinately refuse to serve until all of our sublime questions are answered, then we take a very grave risks. And no one is fooling anybody here. Most “high-minded” skeptics and adversaries continue their act just so they can continue their selfish or lustful or lazy ways and feel justified they are not accountable because there was no way of knowing anything about God or what consequences may lie ahead.
In which case one must be able to identify a reason why blasphemy could be considered to be worse than rape, murder and/or torture. Have you identified any objective reason why you could consider rape, murder and/or torture less detrimental than blasphemy? Have you discovered some tangible evidence of an objectively negative outcome of blasphemy other than merely how believers feel offence?
Yes, I told you. Because God said so. I also told you that you have no idea what Jesus meant in the passage about “blaspheming the Holy Spirit” so why on earth do you insist you have a legitimate comparison between that and murder? But to proffer my own answer --- it could very well be that “blaspheming the Holy Spirit” has to do with the spreading of horrible errors about God to an ignorant or ambivalent multitudes. Murder kills one person, whereas this blasphemy or false preaching may send millions to their demise. In that sense, it is a far greater sin.
…neither one of those implies god does not exist, or even that the christian god does not exist and hold the priorities you allege - all it does is demonstrate that were the later the case (which again I doubt) it is an unjust god. I could expect better from a mere finite (mortal) judge, let alone an infinite one.
Of course I find your whole argument to be conceited foolishness, and I gave an example above where blasphemy (now my definition which is just as possible or valued as yours) can be far more grave the sin and harm than that same person causing a murder. But what I wanted to ask you (and it can be expanded elsewhere) is “Do you not believe God exists?” But if you do believe in a supernatural intelligence, you do not believe there is compelling evidence for the Judeo-Christian G-d?
Oh, and this claim of yours is not presumptuous?
Not in the sense you are advancing your argument with presumption. Your conclusions are God has to be some kind of psychotic for him to put so much emphasis on being mocked --- when you have no idea if that is what is meant by His warning. I am merely telling you, that given the premise that our God is God, and the Bible is His Word, then anyone knowingly speaking vulgar despicable words against the Holy of Holies is taking a grave risk with his soul – according to the Bible, not me.
What does such a set of priorities imply about such a god? It would suggest that someone acting in such a way that it might feel sad because not everyone holds reference to it to be so sacred (though the effect of your outcomes when applied to an infinite being would likely be infinitely minute) is considered worse than someone acting in such a way as to inflict misery on millions of victims of a genocide, or the acute and chronic feelings of helplessness and violation, of anger and disgust experienced by a victim of rape, or the prolonged and extensive misery and degradation experienced by the victim of torture. It implies an extraordinary divorcement from reality.
I do not know what it implies about God quite frankly. But I am far more curious what this whole “blasphemy obsession” of yours implies about you? And I do not think it is a good thing either.
And these non natural laws (called such because you labeled the others natural laws) is where we get into what is known as psychosis, what you are suggesting at the moment, is that there are non detectable outcomes of actions that are more important than those we can detect or can be reliably inferred.
I totally disagree about you suggesting that the outcomes of sin are non-detectable. So maybe we cannot go further on this point? I suggest you sit in on a Catholic exorcism and observe a very palpable outcome of blasphemy. If it does not terrify you to death.
It is extremely well conceived to act in a manner rational to the universe and observable phenomenon around us, it is an absurdity to discount the universe around us in favour of a claimed, undetectable aspect of existence. And were 'god(s)' to expect us to do so, it would indicate an expectation to act in a psychotic manner; this seems unlikely on the face of it but even more so once applied to particular god concepts, such as the christian god where it would seem highly dubious were he to want us to engage in psycosis. It simply does not make sense.
I see very little rational action in your words or position. You keep saying this conversation has nothing to do with the existence of God, but you continuously use as a premise that God is undetectable and therefore inconsequential. Cannot have it both ways.
If there is a creator god, I am grateful to it - however that is irrelevant to this discussion (and indeed we can discuss it elsewhere if you like) as gratefulness to a proposed entity in no way suggests that I 'should' be respectful of other peoples' comprehension of proposed entities, nor even were THEIR proposed entity to actually exist while my proposed entity did not; none of this would indicate a scenario in which it would be rational to consider alleged negative outcomes in an undetectable aspect of existence to be more important than verifiable negative outcomes.
Speaking more directly about extremist violent Islam, Pope Benedict XVI publicly said that “faith without reason is a false faith.” You can carry that further to realize he was speaking of any religion or ideology that dealt with violating natural moral laws as without reason, as proposing asinine concepts such as the Flying Spaghetti Monster as without reason, and so on. But to those religions that practice virtue and charity to their fellow man, we as Christians are obligated to respect those people and their beliefs. We are obligate by our God not to mock their beliefs or “blaspheme” their gods or what they regard as sacred. Now if you think that is some kind of bizarre request or position maintained by our faith and laws, then so be it. But I think you are knowingly fooling yourself just to keep a good face on this mission of yours.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Even if I accept your answers to God’s questions, you are not here to tell me that science has even scratched the surface to the most difficult questions about life, creation and the universe are you? Or do I have to accept DNA molecules formed from some rock soup and the Big Bang is a fact? And where matter came from, well, we will leave that for another day? The point is, God is very real and very evident to even a 6th grader. But if science is hell-bent on trying to prove nothing needed a God to exist and there is no evidence for Him, well… it’s the Tower of Babel revisited, two millionth edition. God is telling mankind in those passages that He/God has revealed enough for us to know who He is and what is our purpose. But if we are going to demand more, obstinately refuse to serve until all of our sublime questions are answered, then we take a very grave risks. And no one is fooling anybody here. Most “high-minded” skeptics and adversaries continue their act just so they can continue their selfish or lustful or lazy ways and feel justified they are not accountable because there was no way of knowing anything about God or what consequences may lie ahead.
Yes, I told you. Because God said so. I also told you that you have no idea what Jesus meant in the passage about “blaspheming the Holy Spirit” so why on earth do you insist you have a legitimate comparison between that and murder? But to proffer my own answer --- it could very well be that “blaspheming the Holy Spirit” has to do with the spreading of horrible errors about God to an ignorant or ambivalent multitudes. Murder kills one person, whereas this blasphemy or false preaching may send millions to their demise. In that sense, it is a far greater sin.
Of course I find your whole argument to be conceited foolishness, and I gave an example above where blasphemy (now my definition which is just as possible or valued as yours) can be far more grave the sin and harm than that same person causing a murder. But what I wanted to ask you (and it can be expanded elsewhere) is “Do you not believe God exists?” But if you do believe in a supernatural intelligence, you do not believe there is compelling evidence for the Judeo-Christian G-d?
Not in the sense you are advancing your argument with presumption. Your conclusions are God has to be some kind of psychotic for him to put so much emphasis on being mocked --- when you have no idea if that is what is meant by His warning. I am merely telling you, that given the premise that our God is God, and the Bible is His Word, then anyone knowingly speaking vulgar despicable words against the Holy of Holies is taking a grave risk with his soul – according to the Bible, not me.
I do not know what it implies about God quite frankly. But I am far more curious what this whole “blasphemy obsession” of yours implies about you? And I do not think it is a good thing either.
I totally disagree about you suggesting that the outcomes of sin are non-detectable. So maybe we cannot go further on this point? I suggest you sit in on a Catholic exorcism and observe a very palpable outcome of blasphemy. If it does not terrify you to death.
I see very little rational action in your words or position. You keep saying this conversation has nothing to do with the existence of God, but you continuously use as a premise that God is undetectable and therefore inconsequential. Cannot have it both ways.
Speaking more directly about extremist violent Islam, Pope Benedict XVI publicly said that “faith without reason is a false faith.” You can carry that further to realize he was speaking of any religion or ideology that dealt with violating natural moral laws as without reason, as proposing asinine concepts such as the Flying Spaghetti Monster as without reason, and so on. But to those religions that practice virtue and charity to their fellow man, we as Christians are obligated to respect those people and their beliefs. We are obligate by our God not to mock their beliefs or “blaspheme” their gods or what they regard as sacred. Now if you think that is some kind of bizarre request or position maintained by our faith and laws, then so be it. But I think you are knowingly fooling yourself just to keep a good face on this mission of yours.

Arguably based on evidence the big bang is a fact. The thing is facts change as more evidence is gathered.

BruceDLimber

From the Baha'i scriptures:

Chapter 31. EXPLANATION OF BLASPHEMY

AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT

"Question.--'Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.'-- (Matthew 12:31-32)

"Answer.--The holy realities of the Manifestations of God have two spiritual positions. One is the place of manifestation, which can be compared to the position of the globe of the sun, and the other is the resplendency of the manifestation, which is like its light and radiance; these are the perfections of God--in other words, the Holy Spirit. For the Holy Spirit is the divine bounties and lordly perfections, and these divine perfections are as the rays and heat of the sun. The brilliant rays of the sun constitute its being, and without them it would not be the sun. If the manifestation and the reflection of the divine perfections were not in Christ, Jesus would not be the Messiah. He is a Manifestation because He reflects in Himself the divine perfections. The Prophets of God are manifestations for the lordly perfections--that is, the Holy Spirit is apparent in Them.
If a soul remains far from the manifestation, he may yet be awakened; for he did not recognize the manifestation of the divine perfections. But if he loathe the divine perfections themselves--in other words, the Holy Spirit--it is evident that he is like a bat which hates the light.
"This detestation of the light has no remedy and cannot be forgiven--that is to say, it is impossible for him to come near unto God. This lamp is a lamp because of its light; without the light it would not be a lamp. Now if a soul has an aversion for the light of the lamp, he is, as it were, blind, and cannot comprehend the light; and blindness is the cause of everlasting banishment from God.
"It is evident that the souls receive grace from the bounty of the Holy Spirit which appears in the Manifestations of God, and not from the personality of the Manifestation. Therefore, if a soul does not receive grace from the bounties of the Holy Spirit, he remains deprived of the divine gift, and the banishment itself puts the soul beyond the reach of pardon.
"This is why many people who were the enemies of the Manifestations, and who did not recognize Them, when once they had known Them became Their friends. So enmity toward the Manifestation did not become the cause of perpetual banishment, for they who indulged in it were the enemies of the light-holders, not knowing that They were the shining lights of God. They were not the enemies of the light, and when once they understood that the light-holder was the place of manifestation of the light, they became sincere friends of it.
"The meaning is this: to remain far from the light-holder does not entail everlasting banishment, for one may become awakened and vigilant; but enmity toward the light is the cause of everlasting banishment, and for this there is no remedy."
--Some Answered Questions, pp. 127-129

Peace, :)

Bruce