• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bliss > Truth.

UnTheist

I am a firm believer that "truth" is overrated in the sense that it is often touted by many to be worth more than happiness. I certainly do not agree that truth should triumph over happiness, to the point where I do not find the idea that someone may find truth of little value repulsive. If I had to choose one or the other, I would happily (!) drop truth like a heavy bowling ball.

As far as I know, evolution (let's anthropomorphize a bit) does not care that we find out the truth of anything (even to the point that it may hurt someone else, emotionally or physically) except that we find out whatever we need to survive and reproduce.

So I ask, why does it matter that, as an example, a Christian believes God watches over his *** or that his neighbor will suffer in the depths of hell for all eternity? What can "truth" achieve if it is not required for happiness?

I hope this is in a good enough section. It may also fit in general religious debates or general discussion.

Last edited:

freethinker44

So I ask, why does it matter that a Christian believes God watches over his *** or that his neighbor will suffer in the depths of hell for all eternity? What can "truth" achieve if it is not required for happiness?

Everyone wants to feel special.

freethinker44

Truth is ignored because it doesn't make people feel special.

An all powerfull being that could be doing any number of great things but instead spends all his time to make sure you are alright and punishes neighbors for not being as "good" as you are, this makes people feel special.

dust1n

Zindīq
I am a firm believer that "truth" is overrated in the sense that it is often touted by many to be worth more than happiness. I certainly do not agree that truth should triumph over happiness, to the point where I do not find the idea that someone may find truth of little value repulsive. If I had to choose one or the other, I would happily (!) drop truth like a heavy bowling ball.

As far as I know, evolution (let's anthropomorphize a bit) does not care that we find out the truth of anything (even to the point that it may hurt someone else, emotionally or physically) except that we find out whatever we need to survive and reproduce.

So I ask, why does it matter that, as an example, a Christian believes God watches over his *** or that his neighbor will suffer in the depths of hell for all eternity? What can "truth" achieve if it is not required for happiness?

I hope this is in a good enough section. It may also fit in general religious debates or general discussion.

All though I am nihilist, and I do not believe in absolute truth, I have found my search of perspective on multiple relative truths has lead to a great understand of the world around me and a greater sense of fulfillment.

Life is not a paradigm between happiness and sadness. It's a paradigm between anxiety and boredom, with stimulation in the middle. Stimulate your self with things that will add to your own personal fulfillment. Happiness comes and goes no matter what you think, fulfillment stays with you until you die.

Kerr

I don´t want to live my life based on lies. Don´t know exactly why, but I just feel more attracted to the truth, how painful it might be, then a blissful but false lie.

dust1n

Zindīq
I don´t want to live my life based on lies. Don´t know exactly why, but I just feel more attracted to the truth, how painful it might be, then a blissful but false lie.

Bliss not founded on truth is going to be hard to sustain.

DavyCrocket2003

Amen. Ignorance is never better than truth. Well, I might have to qualify that. I think absolute truth is the most desirable thing we can seek. But the truth is painful to someone who is not ready for it. So in order to be able to receive truth, we have to be prepared to accept it. For many of us, this means changing the way we live and the ideology our lives our built on. This can be very painful, but always worth it (IMO).

reloadthis

:)Believe whatever works for you. It's true that we are all going to die one day, but if you spend your time thinking of that rather than enjoying the moments where you feel like you will live forever, how does that serve you? If it makes you depressed, don't look at the truth. If it makes you want to improve your world, then it is better to see the truth. It's a weak analogy, but it's all I could come up with at the moment.