• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blood-Oaths and Kinship

Toxikmynd

Demir
So, I believe that becoming Blood Brothers or Sisters is very dangerous. I have devised a way to make it less dangerous, especially considering I am forming a kindred for my area and I want a blood-kinship system after people have proven their loyalty to their new family. Its not very traditional, but here's my process:

1: Get a bowl
2. Prick your finger and squeeze 2-3 drops of blood into the bowl
3. Pass it on to the next person that will be partaking, so on and so forth
4. If needed add a few drops of water so it thins out a bit and mix together
5. Pour onto a piece of paper or cloth, and fold it up
6. Place into a fire
7. Cook something over it
8. All participants eat the food
9. Finished.

I realize it would be time consuming and would eventually get tedious, but I think that it would be a good lesson of patience and sacrifice. It's just an idea of course. Share your thoughts?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Sharing blood is VERY dangerous. I suspect our ancestors knew this well, and that was part of the reason they did so: it was a gesture of trust as much as ritually 'becoming' blood relatives.

Nowadays, in order for such traditional sharing to be done safely, all participants must be required to be medically examined and checked out, so that any presence of diseases are ruled out. These must be shared between all participants. Such a process is a further strong gesture of mutual trust, and can be part of the ritual.

Also, newly bought needles or knives should be used, solely for that purpose and no other (at least until the ritual is over), and one for each participant. The willingness to do this is yet another gesture of trust, and the presence of such a tool can be an indication that a means of providing for the group are available.

Furthermore, there may be other reasons why sharing blood may be dangerous. I don't know if certain blood types can be shared safely, for instance; if not, people of incompatible blood types should not share blood, period.

Therefore, your method is probably the safer route to go. We shouldn't preserve dangerous traditions just for traditions' sake.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I think it's a good one and would bet it was used at least a few times in the past, but honestly I wouldn't do any sort of war-band blood brotherhood rituals for a general kindred unless that is something fundamental to the kindred. Pricking or cutting yourself was usually very specific for warriors and people doing more esoteric magical rites.

Toxikmynd

Demir
This isn't your everyday kindred, we're going to need established trust and such because we plan on going out into the bush for long periods of time and surviving, we will need to rely on one another and will eventually move out there and make a "village". Maybe I need to grow up and get my head out of the clouds. Lol.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
This isn't your everyday kindred, we're going to need established trust and such because we plan on going out into the bush for long periods of time and surviving, we will need to rely on one another and will eventually move out there and make a "village". Maybe I need to grow up and get my head out of the clouds. Lol.

Maybe, or maybe there's something in those clouds that needs to be brought down to Earth. ;)

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I get enough thunderstorms as it is. Thank you.

Can I have some? I miss thunderstorms... :(

(For the record, I was metaphorically referencing the Hero's Journey: going into the realm of the extraordinary unknown to bring back something to enrich the world.)

Toxikmynd

Demir
I had a feeling, but I trusted my own senses.

See?! We don't trust eachother well enough so our instincts aren't one yet! :O. Lmfao jk