• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brazil's Presidential Election

Koldo

Outstanding Member
This weekend, on sunday specifically, Brazil will elect its' next president. We don't have the electoral college here, so it is all about having the majority of votes.

We elect presidents using a two-rounds election system. It works like this: We voted for president at the start of the month, but none of the many candidates achieved a majority of 50%+1 of the votes. When this happens, which is quite common, we have to vote again at the end of the month but this time around we can only vote in one of two most voted candidates of the first round.

As it was expected, we are gonna have to choose between Lula (a former president/left-wing/labor party) and Bolsorano (the current president/right-wing/former military member). Which is really sad since both are involved in corruption scandals...

But it is what it is...

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Which is really sad since both are involved in corruption scandals...

It never ceases to amaze me how often those who make the final cut in elections in multiple countries also tend to be examples of the worst that a citizen and human being could be.

I wish you and other Brazilians the best.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This weekend, on sunday specifically, Brazil will elect its' next president. We don't have the electoral college here, so it is all about having the majority of votes.

We elect presidents using a two-rounds election system. It works like this: We voted for president at the start of the month, but none of the many candidates achieved a majority of 50%+1 of the votes. When this happens, which is quite common, we have to vote again at the end of the month but this time around we can only vote in one of two most voted candidates of the first round.

As it was expected, we are gonna have to choose between Lula (a former president/left-wing/labor party) and Bolsorano (the current president/right-wing/former military member). Which is really sad since both are involved in corruption scandals...

But it is what it is...

I was reading earlier that Lula is ahead in the polls. So it looks like he may win.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It never ceases to amaze me how often those who make the final cut in elections in multiple countries also tend to be examples of the worst that a citizen and human being could be.

I wish you and other Brazilians the best.
Yep, and that is why
“Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

― Douglas Adams

Yerda

Veteran Member
I've seen a few stories about how Bolsonaro plans to challenge the result if he loses. How do claims like that look to Brazilians?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was reading another article about the final debate between the two candidates. I guess there's no love lost between those two.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

But it is what it is...
And there is really no choice whatsoever there.

It is Lula all the way. We will have to wait until 2026 to actually choose a President.

For now, warding off fascism and opening the way for the just deserts that Bolsonaro and his allies deserve is what we can do.

It will be a long, painful road ahead.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I've seen a few stories about how Bolsonaro plans to challenge the result if he loses. How do claims like that look to Brazilians?
Bolsonaro has incredibly high, truly obscene levels of support.

And even higher levels of despise, because not all Brazilians have lost our minds.

It is all very disgusting really. I fully expect a significant brain drain in the next ten years or so. Even if Bolsonaro loses, as we fully expect he will.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I was reading another article about the final debate between the two candidates. I guess there's no love lost between those two.
None whatsoever.

Lula is a very questionable and vain policitian.

Bolsonaro makes Lula look like the apex of human beings by comparison. He is a full degenerate and a deep shame for humanity itself.

They are truly each other's main political sponsor.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
None whatsoever.

Lula is a very questionable and vain policitian.

Bolsonaro makes Lula look like the apex of human beings by comparison. He is a full degenerate and a deep shame for humanity itself.

They are truly each other's main political sponsor.

Just to give a frame of reference to the others:
Bolsonaro is just like Trump in many aspects, except he is not a business man, but rather a career politician. He is pretty much what you all would expect from a 70 years old conservative american in a nutshell (not the elegant ones).

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Worst case scenario, I expect something similar to what happened when Trump lost the election. Nothing more than that.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Worst case scenario, I expect something similar to what happened when Trump lost the election. Nothing more than that.
Aren't you afraid of more serious consequences? I know that I am. I have been made aware of how fragile and immature our social fabric is.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Yep -- nothing more than the normalization of hate posing an existential threat to our democracy -- no biggie.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Yep -- nothing more than the normalization of hate posing an existential threat to our democracy -- no biggie.

Not at all. I don't think that what happened on Jan 6 was normal, but it wasn't a huge threat to your democracy. There is a bigger context here: Some brazilians are worried about a military dictatorship if Bolsonaro refuses to acknowledge losing the elections.

And there are legimate reasons to be concerned even if I don't believe in that happening. First, Bolsonaro is a former military member and many of his appointed ministers have a high military rank. Second, this actually already happened in the past, even if long ago: 20 years of military dictatorship just because the president would be a left-wing commie (and he wasn't really a commie... so.. )

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nope. Not at all.
South and central American countries have a worrisome history of right-wing backlash and coups against democratic governments, which threaten the wealth and power of the owner classes, &/or American economic interests.

Bolsonaro has very strong support, from very powerful people, as well as the military. I'm not counting my chickens just yet....

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Case in point:

Pro-Bolsonaro congresswoman draws weapon in São Paulo

I suspect that this may have been no accidental event. Carla Zambelli is a known quantity. This is not the first time that she attempts to present hate speech as something to be accepted.

By abusing her parlamentary immunity this way, she is listened to. When she admits to disobeying judicial decisions "due to activism". Much like Roberto Jefferson just a few days ago, she is emboldening those who think they should not respect the law.

It is a flagrant effort to sabotage the division of powers and encourage authoritatian, undemocratic coups. She is nurturing sympathy for armed coups.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So, we have warded off the worst of it for the time being.

It will be a long, hard road ahead.