• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broken Bone Recovery

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I broke my heel about a month ago and had surgery a week and a half ago. After breaking my foot, I had pain, but the rest of me felt just fine. Now, after the surgery, my entire body just aches. I'm getting chills and "fevers" (I don't know if I have a temp; no thermometer, but I get really hot). I have very low energy and sometimes nausea. Sometimes, it all just goes away, and I feel fine, except for my foot, which is why I don't just think I have the flu.

Has anyone experienced this full body sympathy pain when recoving from a broken limb?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Sounds like infection.

So close after surgery?..could be trouble.

Don't mess with fever...it can bite hard.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
That's what I was worrying about too, Thief. If I'm not better by Monday, I should probably call someone.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do not wait! Orthopedic surgery is one of the riskiest for infections. The bugs can get into bone tissue & serve as a reservoir for future infections. Talk to your doc ASAP.
(Btw, I once designed battery powered orthopedic surgical tools & have even personally gone under the knife.)

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Ok, I called. I don't know why I didn't just do that in the first place, so thank you for encouraging me to.

The nurse said that it sounds like a virus that's been going around in their hospital, but to keep an eye out for swelling or red streaks, of which I have neither (as far as I can tell-- the cast is pretty intense).

And I bet my immune system is down. So here's to waiting this bad boy out!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
When did you have the surgery? I had surgery on my achilles tendon a few weeks ago and had general anesthesia, and I have come to the conclusion that anytime our bodies are "invaded" that way, we really take more of a blow than we probably realize. I am STILL recovering and weakened, six weeks later. The first week I was truly, truly pitiful, but I'm back at work now and feeling better - just still not nearly 100 percent.

I would recommend staying in close contact with your doctor and calling if you feel any worse, and especially if you develop a fever. But especially if you had general anesthesia, I think the washed out, sort of drained feeling is probably normal.

Hope you feel better. I can certainly empathize!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And Revoltingest, is there anything you haven't done?
Things I've not done:
- Cooked a real meal
- Attended a football, baseball or hockey game
- Flown an airplane
- Worn a kilt
- Given a eulogy
- Raised chickens, cows, goats, pigs or alpacas
- Had a one nite stand....or any kind of stand....by meeting a gal in a bar
- Skateboarded
- Seen the movie Pacific Heights
- Eaten fugu
- Climbed a mountain
- Cleaned my house
- Worn a tux
- Killed a person
- Worn a leotard
- Gotten used to eating chicken feet......not for lack of trying
- Knitted
- Owned a motorboat
- Driven over 100mph
- Made it to the top of a 40' ladder
- Whistle real loudly
- Become fluent in a ferrin language
- Been to Alaska
- Gotten frostbite
- Gone hunt'n
- Given anyone a haircut
- Gotten used to seeing blood
- Eaten blutwurst

Pretty lame, eh?

Last edited:

Renji

Ok, I called. I don't know why I didn't just do that in the first place, so thank you for encouraging me to.

The nurse said that it sounds like a virus that's been going around in their hospital, but to keep an eye out for swelling or red streaks, of which I have neither (as far as I can tell-- the cast is pretty intense).

And I bet my immune system is down. So here's to waiting this bad boy out!

hmmm, sounds like an SVI (systemic viral infection) to me. Better ask a professional about it. Have yourself diagnosed. And about your fever, better ask the doctor if he can recommend something (like an anti pyretic drug, etc.). Wish you well .:)

Kathryn

Hmmm, this is really for another thread, but I can't resist.

Things I haven't done:

Bungee jumped
Sky dived
Walked on a tightrope
Eaten anything that was served with eyeballs still in it (I don't like my food to look at me)
Killed a mammal
Been on a cruise
Had a one night stand
Used a chain saw
Gone to the store in my pajamas
Called in sick when I was really going out of town for some fun
Carried a basket on my head
Been able to coax a single note from any sort of wind instrument

Unfortunately, here are some things I HAVE done:

Gone to a NASCAR race
Eaten steak tartar
Dated a younger man
Worn a hat to work
Seen "Conan the Barbarian" in a theater, not once, but three times
Killed a frog with a plastic fork (don't judge me - I had my reasons)
Watched someone die
Spent five sessions in a hyperbaric chamber
Worked as an art therapist in a maximum security unit for the criminally insane

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
When did you have the surgery? I had surgery on my achilles tendon a few weeks ago and had general anesthesia, and I have come to the conclusion that anytime our bodies are "invaded" that way, we really take more of a blow than we probably realize. I am STILL recovering and weakened, six weeks later. The first week I was truly, truly pitiful, but I'm back at work now and feeling better - just still not nearly 100 percent.

I would recommend staying in close contact with your doctor and calling if you feel any worse, and especially if you develop a fever. But especially if you had general anesthesia, I think the washed out, sort of drained feeling is probably normal.

Hope you feel better. I can certainly empathize!
I had surgery a week and a half ago. My body really was not happy with the anasthesia and even less enthused about the pain med they put me on. I stopped that nastiness as soon as possible. These periodic body aches and chills were just getting me worried. And I truly am pathetic, energy-wise.

I bounced back from the appendectomy a lot more quickly. Bone surgery must be a bit rougher on the body.

Thanks for sharing, Kathryn. I just have finals this coming week, and then I'm off for Christmas break; plenty of time to reccuperate. I hope you're back to 100% soon; 6 weeks must be a killer. It's going to be a wonderful morning when you wake up and think "Hey. I actually feel great."

And I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything, because I definitely snorted when I read about you stabbing that poor frog with your plastic fork.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Things I've not done:
- Cooked a real meal
- Attended a football, baseball or hockey game
- Flown an airplane
- Worn a kilt
- Given a eulogy
- Raised chickens, cows, goats, pigs or alpacas
- Had a one nite stand....or any kind of stand....by meeting a gal in a bar
- Skateboarded
- Seen the movie Pacific Heights
- Eaten fugu
- Climbed a mountain
- Cleaned my house
- Worn a tux
- Killed a person
- Worn a leotard
- Gotten used to eating chicken feet......not for lack of trying
- Knitted
- Owned a motorboat
- Driven over 100mph
- Made it to the top of a 40' ladder
- Whistle real loudly
- Become fluent in a ferrin language
- Been to Alaska
- Gotten frostbite
- Gone hunt'n
- Given anyone a haircut
- Gotten used to seeing blood
- Eaten blutwurst

Pretty lame, eh?

Aw, nuts. My hero is human afterall. :D

::eyes the blutwurst:: Although, some things are probably best left undone. I am surprised you haven't hunted, or attended any sort o' sports game. What sort of Michigander are you?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Aw, nuts. My hero is human afterall. :D

::eyes the blutwurst:: Although, some things are probably best left undone. I am surprised you haven't hunted, or attended any sort o' sports game. What sort of Michigander are you?
A complete & utter failure.....even the other nerds bullied me.
Btw, did you get the spinal block or general anesthesia?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Hmmm, this is really for another thread, but I can't resist.

Things I haven't done:

Bungee jumped
Sky dived
Walked on a tightrope
Eaten anything that was served with eyeballs still in it (I don't like my food to look at me)
Killed a mammal
Been on a cruise
Had a one night stand
Used a chain saw
Gone to the store in my pajamas
Called in sick when I was really going out of town for some fun
Carried a basket on my head
Been able to coax a single note from any sort of wind instrument
You've never even have had the misfortune of running one over? There is no worse feeling than that crunch. And I know it's not a mammal, but the very first time I drove to town (as opposed to just practicing on backroads), a bird flew into my windshield and got stuck in the wiper! So, I had to drive all the way home with this poor dead bird, staring at me reproachfully. Talk about traumatizing.

As for your pajama outing, you should be applauded. Perhaps a late night run is one thing, but seriously, I am surprised at how many students go to class in their pjs.

Last edited:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
A complete & utter failure.....even the other nerds bullied me.
Btw, did you get the spinal block or general anesthesia?
General anasthesia, and then this nerve block from my knee down.

You should brandish your shovel more. That would probably help.

Renji

Perhaps a wine would do. hehe
chum_churum_soju.jpg

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Perhaps a wine would do. hehe
chum_churum_soju.jpg

You would think, right? Just a glass to relax. But the thought of alcohol really turns my stomach at the moment, and I'm thinking tipsiness and crutches might not be the best mix.

That looks like a neat bottle though. What is it?

Kathryn

Ah, I KNEW it was soju! My son introduced us to that when he came home on leave from Korea!

Good times, good times...