• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bulgaria Struggles to Kick Chain-Smoking Habit

t3gah

Bulgaria Struggles to Kick Chain-Smoking Habit
(http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...9_RTRIDST_0_LIFESTYLE-BULGARIA-SMOKING-DC.XML)

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:31 AM ET

By Michael Winfrey and Tsvetelia Ilieva

SOFIA (Reuters) - Milena hates herself for it, but she lights another cigarette anyway.

She and her husband think it may have been her smoking habit that killed their unborn child several weeks ago.

"I'm so ashamed. I don't know why I can't stop after all this," said the 28-year-old. "My doctor told me to quit, but she said if it was too hard, I should just cut down to three a day."

Like many Bulgarians, Milena is torn between long-standing traditions in this hard-smoking Balkan nation and a gradual shift in awareness toward what doctors in developed countries have said for decades: smoking kills.

As more western countries move to impose all-out bans on smoking in public, EU aspirant Bulgaria -- once a world-leading tobacco producer -- is moving forward with its first attempts to cut through the haze....