• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush Declares Iraq Election a Success

t3gah

Bush Declares Iraq Election a Success
(http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050130/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_iraq)
By ANNE GEARAN, AP Diplomatic Writer

WASHINGTON - President Bush called Sunday's elections in Iraq a success and promised the United States will continue trying to prepare Iraqis to secure their own country.

"The world is hearing the voice of freedom from the center of the Middle East,"

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Bush has no choice but to declare the elections a success. Time will tell whether they really were a success or not.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Rex_Admin said:
22 million people. 13 million registered to vote. 50% voted.

A success on what scale?
Given the threat of violence, a 50% turnout is quite good. Maybe the Iraqis are serious about getting themselves a democracy.

Faminedynasty

Well, it seems that the sunnis didn't vote...which gives the possibility of two outcomes... A theocracy, or civil war. I'm not sure which is worse.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Faminedynasty said:
Well, it seems that the sunnis didn't vote...which gives the possibility of two outcomes... A theocracy, or civil war. I'm not sure which is worse.
I hope you're wrong, but I fear you're right. What about the possibility of both a theocracy and a civil war?

Democracy is supposed to be about the ability of the people to progress if not scientifically at most socially. I'm not trying to be a spoil sport, but I think there is something in the Theocracy aspect that counts for progress in the humanity and the Divine Law.

Iran has been trying to progress since 1979 from deliberately cruel forms of legality concerning the family in patricentral (excuse my language of the western Occident)attitudes. Only recently after the End of History has a re-objectification of customs and rituals been capabilized to that semblance of something called FREEDOM (which is not really an issue there of democracy). Democracy? I'll believe it when the working principles of the masses attain their proper conscience for knowledge of either materialistic or idealistic History:) .

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Jensa said:
The place could be a nuclear puddle and he'd declare it a success.
It would be a shame and a travesty to allow contempt for the Bush presidency to blind one to the remarkable sight of hundreds of thousands of acts of heroism as families marched to their polling place.

TranceAm

Deut. 32.8 said:
It would be a shame and a travesty to allow contempt for the Bush presidency to blind one to the remarkable sight of hundreds of thousands of acts of heroism as families marched to their polling place.
I wonder if they were asked (As in a true democracy.) in a referendum form on the continued presence of their "liberators" in their country?

Oh wait.. Democracy in Iraq is far to important to be descided over by the Iraqi people. :biglaugh:

Chile should not be allowed to go Marxist just because its people are irresponsible.
– Henry Kissinger, U.S. Secretary of State (1973)

M

Majikthise

Less politics, More religion. Knock Bush for his religious stance.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'm not denything that it's a good thing that the Iraqi people had a chance to vote or trying to ignore the bravery of those that went to the polls. I'm saying I don't put much stock in what Bush says, and he'd call it a success if he ran it into the ground.

TranceAm

Majikthise said:
Less politics, More religion. Knock Bush for his religious stance.
What religious stance? If he lies about everything else, so why not lie that he is a "Born again Christian" presumable with a religious stance..

Gosh, I mean eh, if he doesn't believe then there is really not much that can happen to him from the religious side as punishment for lying about being a believer... And if he is wrong.. well.. Tough.. He bet on the wrong horse, in the mean time he takes his chance with faking a stance..

M

Majikthise

TranceAm said:
What religious stance? If he lies about everything else, so why not lie that he is a "Born again Christian" presumable with a religious stance..

WOW! Bush may be a twit but he's only a man.What do you think,like he controls everything from the H-Bomb to the guy who installs the urinal cakes? There are alot more facets tothe government than him. You are practically giving him god-like status.You may want to push it aside but his apparent religious zeal scares me more than anything else he's done.:areyoucra

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Jensa said:
I'm saying I don't put much stock in what Bush says, and he'd call it a success if he ran it into the ground.
I'll leave it to you and TranceAm to hold high the banner of cynicism and petty ridicule. Today, in my opinion, is a day to applaud the Iraqis.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Deut. 32.8 said:

Very well said, Deut. Today is a day worthy of celebration.

M

Majikthise

Deut. 32.8 said:
I'll leave it to you and TranceAm to hold high the banner of cynicism and petty ridicule. Today, in my opinion, is a day to applaud the Iraqis.

Yes, lives have been lost. Let it not be for nothing at all.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Deut. 32.8 said:
I agree - we should applaud the Iraqi's and the men and women that have sacrificed themselves and their families to bring this day to fruition. I cannot, however, suspend my contempt for Bush, and his desperately self-serving declarations. It is a weakness on my part, to allow my emotions to obscure my view, but I am human nonetheless.

The election of a government by the people of Iraq and for the people of Iraq is an unqeustionably good thing (in my opinion).

TVOR