• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush Urges Parents to Turn Off Indecent TV

t3gah

Bush Urges Parents to Turn Off Indecent TV
(http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...2424_RTRIDST_0_POLITICS-BUSH-INDECENCY-DC.XML)

Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:08 PM ET

By Peter Kaplan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush said parents should turn off their televisions if they feel the programs being broadcast violate their standards of decency.

In a taped interview to be aired on the public affairs channel C-SPAN on Sunday, Bush waded into the thorny debate over how far the government should go to clamp down on indecent antics on radio and TV.

"As a free-speech advocate, I often told parents who were complaining about content, you're the first line of responsibility; they put an off button (on) the TV for a reason. Turn it off," Bush told C-SPAN interviewer Brian Lamb.

The comments come as Capitol Hill lawmakers discuss a possible crackdown on radio and TV indecency and Bush considers who should replace the outgoing chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, Michael Powell.

Regulators at the FCC have been confronted with the subject of radio and TV indecency over the last year because of a raft of incidents that included brief nudity and profanity on the air.....

No*s

Captain Obvious
Hmph, it's a lot more reasonable than trying to get the government to regulate it. If parents vote with their time, then it'll go away. If it doesn't...whose fault is that?

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
I also oppose indecent TV. That's why I hit the mute button whenever George W. Bush appears on the screen. :biglaugh:

EDIT: Sorry, NetDoc, I hadn't yet read your post when I wrote mine. Didn't mean to be a copycat. :eek:

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I realize that they are phonemically identical, but Bush is a PROFIT, not a PROPHET. The first is driven by greed and the other actually tries to speak for God. :D

Although I agree to some extent, that people should turn off what they find indecent, after all, they do have the ability too, I think that the amount of indecency in programs should be more closely monitored.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I haven't owned a TV for years, so I don't know what is decent or indecent about it these days. Specifically, what is Bush refering to when he calls some TV indecent? What does he think of as indecent? The last time I looked, TV was more stupid than it was actually indecent.

Yerda

Veteran Member
NetDoc said:
I realize that they are phonemically identical, but Bush is a PROFIT, not a PROPHET. The first is driven by greed and the other actually tries to speak for God. :D

Which is more insulting?

Anyway I say he's right, turn it off if you don't like it.

Gardening shows should carry warnings pre-screening! As should Rap videos which are something you might want to watch with the mute on.